Blue Seiko Alpinist US limited edition Hodinkee - Page 13
Like Tree683Likes

Thread: Blue Seiko Alpinist US limited edition Hodinkee

Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Re: Blue Seiko Alpinist US limited edition Hodinkee

Man did I debate buying this. I already have the Sarb017. As soon as I got the email I went and it was still in stock. Ultimately I chose a Hamilton Murph (with limited edition box) over this one. Something tells me I might regret it but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dion.steve View Post
    Man did I debate buying this. I already have the Sarb017. As soon as I got the email I went and it was still in stock. Ultimately I chose a Hamilton Murph (with limited edition box) over this one. Something tells me I might regret it but...

You should have just bought it and decided later, you'll get your money back (and then some) on resale anyway if you decide it's not for you! That's my reasoning with these things anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    It is probably good that I actually sat at my desk and reviewed all those records and wrote a letter this morning before coming here and finding this thread.

A BLUE ALPINIST!

But, it seems to have a matte dial. If the bezel and case sides are polished, that's going to look a little odd, I think. I mean, if you're not going to have a sunburst dial, you at least need a glossy dial on the Alpinist, IMO. The whole point is that it's kind of a blingy field watch. If I want understated, I can just get a Khaki Field or a G10 or a Marathon and be done with it.

I would have passed on it. Even at $450.

OK, that said, and I don't mean to denigrate the new release, it is nice and a blue version is overdue. But I don't care about limited editions and US market only, yada, yada, yada. And yeah, it's a bit pricey, but prices go up and, yes, it is a "Special" or "Limited" edition.

I picked up a -017 a month or so ago and I am still trying to work out how I feel about it. In the abstract, the green and gold is very pretty. Put in stainless steel case, and then put on my wrist, well, then it's tough to make it work with 95% of my wardrobe. I have one sport coat with which it is absolutely killer, and a few winter sweaters with which it plays well. With everything else... Let's just say it's a challenging watch. This blue one will definitely be less so, and I think those that bought it are going to LOVE it.

To those who like it and got one, great! I'll be really interested to see how it looks on a bracelet or a light gray nato.
    I have the same issue. Sadly the Strapcode with gold bracelet livens it up a bit but still.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
    how many are ordered to be resold...
    I'd say 98.9% of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jmai View Post
    You should have just bought it and decided later, you'll get your money back (and then some) on resale anyway if you decide it's not for you! That's my reasoning with these things anyway.
    I bought the Murph and a BB58 this week. My pockets are currently empty. Lol.

LCandela and 93 Honda Civic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by iTreelex View Post
    I'll be sure to save one for you if you want it ;)
    I suppose there will be a "handling fee"? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    I picked up a -017 a month or so ago and I am still trying to work out how I feel about it. In the abstract, the green and gold is very pretty. Put in stainless steel case, and then put on my wrist, well, then it's tough to make it work with 95% of my wardrobe. I have one sport coat with which it is absolutely killer, and a few winter sweaters with which it plays well. With everything else... Let's just say it's a challenging watch. This blue one will definitely be less so, and I think those that bought it are going to LOVE it.

To those who like it and got one, great! I'll be really interested to see how it looks on a bracelet or a light gray nato.
    Green dials actually pair pretty well with a number of outfit choices. I like my 017 on bracelet with a blue sweater, or a white tee and khakis. Think of complimentary colors and not so much matching.
    Erik816 likes this.

Man, what a great release. I love my SARB017. I don't generally impulse buy things, so I doubt I would have. Still envious, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggpeegee View Post
    Agree. My 6Rs are so damn accurate for the money. 4Rs - not so much...

- So glad I missed out on the Hodinkee Hamilton Murph,
    - So glad I missed out on the 1970s Minerva I sat through an hour auction for (today),
    - I think it must have been written in the stars...
    agreed. My 6Rs, in particular the 6R Ds as of late, all have been at cosc specs at the very least, if not closer to rolex superlative/omega METAS. It is absurd. I think my frost monster is currently running at approximatly +2 sec per day.

I too just passed on a vintage breitling after staring at it on ebay for ages, now I know why...fate :D

Quote Originally Posted by mfaraday View Post
    As much as I loathe Hodinkee and everything they stand for, I grabbed one for myself. I contacted the Seiko Miami boutique to see if I could order from them but they weren't even aware that this model was released today. I was supposed to receive a callback but I haven't heard anything. The price is fair as far as MSRP goes, as of course Hodinkee wouldn't ever discount anything. Considering that the SARB017 sells for $400ish, it's a solid premium that I was willing to pay for the superb aesthetics of the blue dial. I just wish my money went directly to Seiko, but I guess I shouldn't complain as I will be getting what I wanted.
    interesting, that makes two boutiques (NYC and Miami) that had no idea this thing even debuted.
    Last edited by adashu; February 26th, 2019 at 23:42.

Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information