Blue Seiko Alpinist US limited edition Hodinkee - Page 17
Like Tree683Likes

Thread: Blue Seiko Alpinist US limited edition Hodinkee

Page 17 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Blue Seiko Alpinist US limited edition Hodinkee

Quote Originally Posted by valuewatchguy View Post
    I was hoping for a hodinkee strap as part of the deal but that strap is branded seiko on the back.

But I agree much better than the OEM 017 strap.
    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I was looking at the strap hoping the same! It would raise the value proposition for me.

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
    Same. My February was a Oris Big Crown Pointer date, Hamilton Intra-Matic, and A Tudor BB GMT and now this. My wife is going to divorce me.
    If nothing else, you have great taste my friend!

Good heavens!

Re: Blue Seiko Alpinist US limited edition Hodinkee

Quote Originally Posted by tim_herremans View Post
    You’ll always have a low percentage of extreme fools with way more cash than intelligence. That price won’t hold. It’s hype. Especially when 500 people are waiting to sell theirs after they receive it. And we haven’t seen Seikos release.

It’s a nice watch and anyone who’s excited about it. I’m happy for you. Wear it and enjoy it. Of course. If you bought it to flip it.. well good luck.
    I didn't buy one. While I like it, I'm not exactly sure what to think about it. If it gives me that "Oh hell yeah!" feeling, then I would have done it. Again, if the blue had the "blue hole effect" like the SPB083, then I absolutely would have bought it.

My bad; I thought you were speaking of its value at $1,000 at any point in time, not as a forward-looking average of sorts. Yeah, definitely some saturation once these things hit people's doors will cause it to come down. So I hear you there.
    tim_herremans and Erik816 like this.
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCrunch View Post
    aaaand they are already being resold on ebay for ~$1.6k
    Well they are asking 1.6-1.7k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
    Curious, why do you guys not like Hodinkee?
    My main issue is the same with worn and wound. Now, I don't blame them for wanting money I would likely do the same thing if I ran the site. But to pretend they do anything other then attempt to sell watches or products now is laughable. They can't maintain any objectivity, they act like journalists but the main priority is relationships with brands and selling stuff. The fact they review and introduce things seems disingenuous. Also the pump and dump with the limited editions is just annoying to me as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The Ebay sellers Reminds me of the Halios Seaforth fiasco last year. Prices have just come down back to retail after 3 rounds of releases. And some variants are still commanding higher premiums.

Who knows what the blue alpinist will do. But any color variant than green was a highly anticipated release (wish list) for Seiko fans for several years now.

IG: ikeepgoodtime

Quote Originally Posted by JLS36 View Post
    My main issue is the same with worn and wound. Now, I don't blame them for wanting money I would likely do the same thing if I ran the site. But to pretend they do anything other then attempt to sell watches or products now is laughable. They can't maintain any objectivity, they act like journalists but the main priority is relationships with brands and selling stuff. The fact they review and introduce things seems disingenuous. Also the pump and dump with the limited editions is just annoying to me as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    I think the question is how do they provide sustainable value to the reader IF they dont find sustainable revenue sources.

They both do really polished articles, pictures, videos, and podcasts. I never feel like I'm being sold. They offer high quality watches and straps. I get that their opinions may be biased but so is most everyone on a Seiko thread. Do I really believe I will get truly independent thinking here? Yet I still browse the seiko threads and seek insight from you all.

I would like to know when they have been given freebies to do reviews and which brands are paid sponsors of the sites.

I agree that brand cheerleading on Hodinkee and Worn and Wound has gotten out of hand. I have no problem with these outlets making a buck but they should call it what it is - feature writing - their articles no longer qualify as reviews. I used to love Worn and Wound but their latest videos play like ads.

There's a balance to be found - the best auto journalists, for example, have found it. Watch writing (I can't call it journalism with a straight face) has a lot of catching up to do.

Heuer Autavia Heritage Caliber 02 Farer Lander GMT
    Oak & Oscar Jackson Oris Divers 65
    Junghans Meister Telemeter Seiko Turtle SRP777
    Longines Heritage Chronograph 1973 Seiko 6106-8100 Sports Diver
    Alpina ​Startimer Pilot Manufacture Lorier Hydra

Quote Originally Posted by LosAngelesTimer View Post
    I agree that brand cheerleading on Hodinkee and Worn and Wound has gotten out of hand. I have no problem with these outlets making a buck but they should call it what it is - feature writing - these no longer qualify as reviews. I used to love Worn and Wound but their latest videos play like ads.

There's a balance to be found - the best auto journalists, for example, have found it. Watch writing (I can't call it journalism with a straight face) has a lot of catching up to do.
    I'm asking here not be argumentative but to actually learn something.....

What is that balance? What does that look like?

At least you get advertising and a good deal from Hodinkee! It's the private parties that buy from them, Then sell on Ebay for 100% profit, before they even get the watch! Then come bragging here.

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk
    Dan T. and Inthezone like this.

Some of those on eBay have “ended”. Do you think they sold?
    Instagram: @watchfjr

Page 17 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread Information