Blue Seiko Alpinist US limited edition Hodinkee - Page 18
Like Tree683Likes

Thread: Blue Seiko Alpinist US limited edition Hodinkee

Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Currently there are 5 on Ebay that I can see.
    Resellers with deluded high hopes...its a pitty that some WIS will pay it.
    Last edited by ck13; February 27th, 2019 at 02:48.
    Dan T. likes this.

Re: Blue Seiko Alpinist US limited edition Hodinkee

Quote Originally Posted by valuewatchguy View Post
    I'm asking here not be argumentative but to actually learn something.....

What is that balance? What does that look like?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I wish I knew. I used to work in a field with similar pitfalls and the balance was never an easy one to strike.

The key is to never compromise your independence while creating an atmosphere where the manufacturer of a luxury good like a watch or car needs you rather than it being the other way around. Right now, most watch writers feel they need to kiss the collective ass of watch manufacturers for access. If you know anything about journalism, that equation is (ass) backwards. I attribute this to the fact that most of these writers lack even the semblance of a journalism background. They got into watch writing because they had a passion for watches and never bothered to school themselves on journalistic ethics along the way.

I think the first step is to develop a powerful independent brand identity to tip the balance of power. Look at Doug DeMuro with cars - he's got millions of subscribers and says exactly what he wants, including saying a car is "junk" if he feels it is, yet car manufacturers and dealers fall all over themselves to get product to him for review. He's powerful enough that if a brand refuses access, which is what recently happened to him after he trashed the latest Honda Civic Type R, he can shrug it off because there's a line of manufacturers, dealers and the like waiting to hand him products to review. I'm sure even Honda will eventually realize that free publicity is worth a potentially negative outcome and rescind their ban.

This is a much tougher, longer road to building a brand - in this case, the ideal watch review site or whatever - but it's one where the destination is one of independence where manufacturers chase you down to review their products and let the chips fall where they may. W&W and Hodinkee, by compromising their journalistic ethics right out of the gate - if they ever had any to begin with - are now in a much tougher position, as watch manufacturers have already gotten used to the relationship where these supposed news outlets serve as defacto (unpaid) marketing departments.
    Last edited by LosAngelesTimer; February 27th, 2019 at 03:06.
    Dan T. and Inthezone like this.

Heuer Autavia Heritage Caliber 02 Farer Lander GMT
    Oak & Oscar Jackson Oris Divers 65
    Junghans Meister Telemeter Seiko Turtle SRP777
    Longines Heritage Chronograph 1973 Seiko 6106-8100 Sports Diver
    Alpina ​Startimer Pilot Manufacture Lorier Hydra

Quote Originally Posted by FJR1971 View Post
    Some of those on eBay have ďendedĒ. Do you think they sold?
    yeah, looks like there were some bites. hopefully, these secondary buyers are paying an opportunity premium so they can enjoy the watch, instead of another speculator planning to resell for $2,000

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  68.2 KB
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JLS36 View Post
    My main issue is the same with worn and wound. Now, I don't blame them for wanting money I would likely do the same thing if I ran the site. But to pretend they do anything other then attempt to sell watches or products now is laughable. They can't maintain any objectivity, they act like journalists but the main priority is relationships with brands and selling stuff. The fact they review and introduce things seems disingenuous. Also the pump and dump with the limited editions is just annoying to me as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Hmmm I see it like any other place. Forums require sponsors etc in order to stay in business. I donít see it any different. If you listen to their podcasts they say who itís sponsored by. Iíve never felt compelled to buy something or being Iím ďsoldĒ anything by listening to them.

They are also professionals and I donít expect them even if they donít like something to be super critical about it. They professionals lists cons and things that may bother some.

Overall I think both places have done more good than bad so I canít complain about their existence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DocScotter likes this.

Blue Seiko Alpinist US limited edition Hodinkee

Quote Originally Posted by FJR1971 View Post
    Some of those on eBay have ďendedĒ. Do you think they sold?
    Iíll confess after seeing them (as I said earlier) selling for 1k I posted mine on eBay. A wus member messaged me asking if it was my post. We agreed to a much lower price and I ended my listing. So I made a small profit

Last edited by absoluteczech; February 27th, 2019 at 03:29.
    93 Honda Civic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by N.Caffrey View Post
    But $650 is steep for a compass complication Iíll never use.
    limited to 1,959 pieces and from hodinkee I think itíll sell out any minute.
    That compass may come in handy when the zombie apocalypse is headed your way.
    Dan T. likes this.
    TSLow

Quote Originally Posted by LCandela View Post
    I was looking at the strap hoping the same! It would raise the value proposition for me.

If nothing else, you have great taste my friend!

Good heavens!
    And the cheap bastards won't even cover shipping!
    Dan T. likes this.

I would have bought one that was being resold but the resale prices are already past what I would spend. It is a stretch with the SARB 017s going for $430.00 right now to pay $1500.00 for a blue dial.
    93 Honda Civic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by valuewatchguy View Post
    I think the question is how do they provide sustainable value to the reader IF they dont find sustainable revenue sources.

They both do really polished articles, pictures, videos, and podcasts. I never feel like I'm being sold. They offer high quality watches and straps. I get that their opinions may be biased but so is most everyone on a Seiko thread. Do I really believe I will get truly independent thinking here? Yet I still browse the seiko threads and seek insight from you all.

I would like to know when they have been given freebies to do reviews and which brands are paid sponsors of the sites.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I mean they broadcast themselves as journalists and make it appear their reviews are objective. That's clearly not the case. There is no comparison between forums and "journalists". They need to divest the reviews from the sales, even the grey Nato guys have noted the possibility of issues. Look at gearpatrol.com and the advertising they do for mkii. It's all the same strain. All in I think hodinkee and worn and wound are a net negative for the watch world consumer, but a great asset for producers.

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
    Hmmm I see it like any other place. Forums require sponsors etc in order to stay in business. I donít see it any different. If you listen to their podcasts they say who itís sponsored by. Iíve never felt compelled to buy something or being Iím ďsoldĒ anything by listening to them.

They are also professionals and I donít expect them even if they donít like something to be super critical about it. They professionals lists cons and things that may bother some.

Overall I think both places have done more good than bad so I canít complain about their existence.

Forums aren't a comparison to what hodinkee is.

Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread Information