Bought a 6309 Turtle some time ago, I just want to see if all looks good.
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Bought a 6309 Turtle some time ago, I just want to see if all looks good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bought a 6309 Turtle some time ago, I just want to see if all looks good.

From what I'm showing in my pic's could you tell me if this looks original?

Let me first outline some things that you might not be able to see.

First the dial and hands look clean, also that logo under the 150 m does not look as cleanly stamped as I have seen in other dials.

The bezel insert has the edge of the bezel sitting proud, in other words the bezel edge is above the insert where the edge is actually an edge and when wiping with a cloth I have to be careful not to cut myself.

The bezel insert looks like the real McCoy, I mean the 3 in the 30 is shaped exactly like vintage examples, the way I can tell this is that the 3 sideways looks like two different sized bunny ears. (if that means anything).

I would have taken off the back to be able to see the movement but I decided not to yet. Since I dug this watch out I have been wearing it to work for the past several days.

I have to figure out the number on the case back as far as when it was manufactured. The number is 475090.

Even though the hour and minute hands look pristine, the lume for both in two small areas are seeming to sag. I don't know if this means anything.

And the crystal does not look flat, it has some irregularities in it as far as it being flat.

I accept all opinions and look forward to hearing what you might think. Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Stromboli; April 3rd, 2019 at 07:33. Reason: forgot to add something
    DarthVedder and longstride like this.

Re: Bought a 6309 Turtle some time ago, I just want to see if all looks good.

The bezel, case, crown and case back appear to be original. I would imagine the movement is as well. However, it has been restored with aftermarket parts (insert, chapter ring, hands and dial). Inconsistent surface on the crystal is indication of hand polishing for removal of scuffs and scratches. A handsome timepiece nonetheless!

The bezel insert looks a bit wrong... The font is too thicc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tickstart View Post
    The bezel insert looks a bit wrong... The font is too thicc
    Agreed. Font is correct, font weight is not. Also the 60 minute triangle should not terminate on the flat plane of the insert, it is supposed to be printed down the inner edge of the insert a bit. Lume pip size looks correct, but it does not have the little clear window.

Quote Originally Posted by ap614 View Post
    Agreed. Font is correct, font weight is not. Also the 60 minute triangle should not terminate on the flat plane of the insert, it is supposed to be printed down the inner edge of the insert a bit. Lume pip size looks correct, but it does not have the little clear window.
    The 6309's never had the lume pip window though did they? I thought the SKX was the only one that did.

Dial, hands and insert are all aftermarket.
    Compare it to my all original 6309.
    Attached Images Attached Images

bombora likes this.

The 6309's never had the lume pip window though did they? I thought the SKX was the only one that did.
    Yes they did. It’s a stepped plastic insert and the lume is applied behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ap614 likes this.
    Michael
    not actually mean, that’s just my face

Quote Originally Posted by Meanoldmanning View Post
    Yes they did. It’s a stepped plastic insert and the lume is applied behind it.
    Oh yeah it's just that the SKX has some space on the edges without lume whereas the 6309 has lume all the way behind the glass.

Dubbeltrubbel

Oh yeah it's just that the SKX has some space on the edges without lume whereas the 6309 has lume all the way behind the glass.
    Yeah the SKX lume pip is a little clear cup with lume inside. The 6309 lume pip is a stack of lume and a clear disk. My guess is this evolution occurred when more and more of the lume stacks were found to be falling out of the inserts. The newer "cup" pips can be held in place by the adhesive behind the insert. I've owned a few 6309's and a 7548 that had original inserts but lume was reapplied due to lost pips. It would be interesting to see a modern "cup" style was created in the size of the older generations.
    Tickstart likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information