Can anyone help me identify this Citizen watch - is it a "Ray Mears"?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Apollo83

Thread: Can anyone help me identify this Citizen watch - is it a "Ray Mears"?

SRG

Can anyone help me identify this Citizen watch - is it a "Ray Mears"?

I've stumbled across this watch and have a few questions for which I'd be forever grateful of someone answering:

The model number on the back is 7878-H17714 TA

It is a monocoque titanium case with what appears to be a saphire crystal.

My original thought was that this was a 'Ray Mears' but from the pictures of these I've seen the model number to be 7828-H09971 TA?

Can anyone enlighten me as to the difference and whether my watch is a Ray Mears?

Sorry for the poor quality shots but hopefully these might help shed some light on things.

Name:  $_57.JPG
Views: 647
Size:  213.0 KBName:  $_57 (1).JPG
Views: 613
Size:  179.9 KB

Re: Can anyone help me identify this Citizen watch - is it a "Ray Mears"?

Yes, It is.
    GS SD Diver T (SBGA031), GS SBGX103, GS SBGE005, GS SBGH001, Omega Seamaster 300 Diver, Cartier Panthera, Bulgari Anigma, Omega Dynamic Cal 762, Seiko Sportura F1 (SNAB89P!), Seiko Alpinist (SARB017), Seiko Chron. 7A38 - 7280, Seiko Chron. 7T62 - 0AG0, Citizen Marinaut T C460, Certina DS Action.

SRG

Quote Originally Posted by Fastdriver View Post
    Yes, It is.
    Thanks!

Any idea as to what the differences in the numbers compared to the two watches mentioned means?

I should have this watch in a few weeks and will send it to Citizen UK for a service inspection as I believe it's around 10-15 years old!

Thanks again

Steve
    Last edited by SRG; April 10th, 2015 at 15:01. Reason: fat fingers

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

SRG
    Just as a quick update, Citizen UK have said parts are exhausted in the UK (are capacitors not fundamentally the same still?) and can't service it :0(

Having investigated the numbers referred to previously it seems that there is a size difference between the 7828 and 7878 cases with my one being slightly smaller.

Does this make it less saught after? (Not that I intend to sell it, just curious).

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Just as a quick update, Citizen UK have said parts are exhausted in the UK (are capacitors not fundamentally the same still?) and can't service it :0(

Having investigated the numbers referred to previously it seems that there is a size difference between the 7828 and 7878 cases with my one being slightly smaller.

Does this make it less saught after? (Not that I intend to sell it, just curious).
    7878 is the movement number not the case number. I don't know why Citizen said they can't service it, there appears to be a number of sources online for capacitors to suit the 7878. Perhaps it is the seals or other parts that they can no longer supply?

I don't know about the models and their values. Is there much size difference?

I had a chance to buy a Ray Mears in a shop once.

Unfortunately I was young and at that stage where I thought 'I have 2 watches, why do I need another?'.

So instead I bought some Jewellery for my wife.

Don't worry, that scenario would never happen today.

This picture looks just like the smaller Ray Mears I saw.

I still think it is maybe the best 'beater' watch ever made.
    Nice buy - hope the servicing works out.
    SRG likes this.

SRG

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    7878 is the movement number not the case number. I don't know why Citizen said they can't service it, there appears to be a number of sources online for capacitors to suit the 7878. Perhaps it is the seals or other parts that they can no longer supply?

I don't know about the models and their values. Is there much size difference?

I read on another forum that the 7878 / 7828 referred to case size which then lead me to the following which details both sizes:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...-a-623549.html

From what I gather (I don't have the watch yet, it's on the other side of the world!) my watch is the 36mm variant.

Citizen's email is below. Does anyone know of an independent in the Midlands (preferably close to Northampton / Leicester / Milton Keynes) who can replace the capacitor? Is it an easy job to do myself (not overly concerned about water resistance...)?

I want to get this done whilst I can; if the watch is too small I'll give it my son seeing as they can take a beating! That is unless it's likely to be worth hundreds of pounds like the other Mears I've seen go on eBay (in which case I'll keep it!).

The first number is always the movement number. With a few tools it's an easy enough job with a normal case-back, but I have no experience working on monocoque cases. Should be a quick job for a watchmaker.

SRG
    Citizen's email for future reference in case it helps anyone:

Unfortunately we are unable to repair your watch on this occasion because spare parts are no longer available. By way of explanation, we enjoy spare parts support from our factory for a period of seven years from a models cessation, after this period we are reliant on whatever stocks we have in the UK and unfortunately these are now exhausted.
    Sometimes spare parts are not needed to carry out a service, but we cannot predict this until we open the watch up, and once we have done this we feel that we are committed to complete the work. Unlike an independent repairer we are unable to use spurious parts, or to re-use seals and gaskets, but it may be the case that you can get your watch repaired by an independent repairer who is not restricted by such practices.

I trust that this will not detract from your option to choose the Citizen brand in the future.

Thread Information