Citizen NYoo4o question about screw-down crown function

Thread: Citizen NYoo4o question about screw-down crown function

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Citizen NYoo4o question about screw-down crown function

Hi, all--

I purchased an NY0040 from Creation Watches and received it last week. It's a great watch, but I have a question on the functionality of its screw-down crown.

The crown works just fine for setting the day/date and time, but when I screw it back down, it feels like it's still engaged in winding the spring. I don't know for sure if it's not supposed to do that or not, but I have seen a couple of forum posts about the same issue with different watches, and it sounded like that is not the correct way for it to work. I've dropped a note to Creation Watches to let them know, and I'm waiting for a reply from them.

In the meantime, I figured I'd check with the massive knowledge base of the WUS crowd to see if any other owners of the watch can let me know their experience with their NY0040. Thanks very much, everyone!

--Tim

Re: Citizen NYoo4o question about screw-down crown function

Ya it kinda baffled me at first too...push and turn. It's spring loaded so ya gotta push it down before the threads engage.
    G-shock G-100
    G-shock GW-300
    Victorinox Classic Chrono
    Citizen NY0040 Diver
    Citizen BN0100 eco-drive diver
    Ollech & Wajs MP2801
    Orient Black Mako
    Maratec Mid-Sized Pilot
    Sea-Gull M177S
    Seiko 5 orange neo monster
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist

Hi, seaweed--thanks for the reply.

I actually am pushing the crown down as I screw it back down. It screws down fine, but it is still winding the spring as it screws down. I'm wondering if the crown should disengage from winding the spring when it is pushed down to screw it back down.

I have other dive watches, but none of them hand wind--that's why I'm wondering if it's just the way the movement is built to work.

--Tim

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well after playing with mine a little, it seems as though every time I screw mine back in it does seem like it is winding the mechanism. I can't get it to not have that effect, and I do believe it has been this way ever since a I got it months ago. Mine has kept very accurate time since then..so I deduce that's the way it's supposed to function, unless some other NY0040 owner can tell us otherwise.
    G-shock G-100
    G-shock GW-300
    Citizen NY0040 Diver
    Ollech & Wajs MP2801
    Orient Black Mako
    Maratec Mid-Sized Pilot
    Sea-Gull M177S
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist

Hi, seaweed--

Well, that's good to hear. It's very possible that it is supposed to function that way.

In all other respects, it's a great watch--seems pretty accurate so far, and I get a kick out of the lumed dial (I went for the silver/gold full-lume dial version). I was chiefly worried about somehow damaging the movement if it wasn't functioning correctly every time I needed to re-set the date or time.

It will be interesting to see what other owners' experience is.

Thanks for your replies--I appreciate it!

--Tim

Seaweed, I think it has a lot to do with the very 'torquey' type movement of the watch and it being very high winding, the main rotor or weight moves quite a bit for an automatic watch; a lot more than say, the Seiko 7s26. My ny0040 has a very similar feeling crown, so you're definitely not in the lone

Delta-Whiskey-Delta-Five-Five-Zero-Zero.....huh, it's the positive display one

Delta-Whiskey-Five-Six-Zero-Zero-Echo
    6645-01-356-5944

Foxtrot-Niner-One-Whiskey

Thanks for weighing in, slick. It sounds like the crown is performing the way it is designed to, based on the three of us noting the same "feel" as the crown is screwed back down.

--Tim

It's nice to get some corroborating input from another member. Looks like it's just an inherent characteristic of the watch. Hope this puts your mind at ease DinoBoy. You got yourself a great diver and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.
    G-shock G-100
    G-shock GW-300
    Citizen NY0040 Diver
    Ollech & Wajs MP2801
    Orient Black Mako
    Maratec Mid-Sized Pilot
    Sea-Gull M177S
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist

seaweed--

Yes, it absolutely does--I really appreciate you letting me know about your experience with the NY0040. I'm glad to know that it is doing what it's supposed to.

I am totally loving it so far--very comfortable, and super accurate as far as I can tell (I don't hold my automatics to the same accuracy standards as I do my Waveceptors, but it seems dead on over the space of a week). Perfect size for my matchstick-like arms. The full-lume dial is great--very different, and glow-in-the-dark anything appeals to the 6 year-old in me.

I didn't even know that Citizen even made autos until I started hanging around here. For whatever reason, I really like the functionality (ability to be submerged, rotating bezel, etc.) with the kind of utilitarian look that dive watches have.

Thanks again for the input, it's really appreciated--have a great weekend!

--Tim

I have an NY2300, my only Citizen, and my crown behaves exactly as you say. It's never bothered me, I figured it was intentional. I just never try to push the boundaries of over-winding, due to the fact it would seem to wind a little bit more upon screw-down...
    a time tellin' noob
    SEIKO SNDA67, SKX779, SKX007, SNZG15, SKX-PMMM, 6309-7040 (12/80 rfrb),
    7002-7000 (7/91 Loy), SRP227, SNXS79, SSC031, SNKL45, SNX993, SARB033 SPIRIT,
    SRP775, SRP773,
    SNXS77, SNKE79 -- CASIO EFA-124 World Time
    -- CITIZEN NY2300 Pepsi
    DEEP BLUE All Purpose 1K -- KARLSKRONA Baltic Shield Gray -- scurfa Diver One ND513RD Black
    HEIMDALLR Sharkey 62MAS
    Green -- NEWEST: HELM Komodo black/lt blue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information