Cleaning up my orange monster advice? Scratch removal and polishing.
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cleaning up my orange monster advice? Scratch removal and polishing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cleaning up my orange monster advice? Scratch removal and polishing.

I posted this already on the watchmaking board but nobody seems to browse there much so since this is a seiko i'm hoping maybe somebody can help me here.

My Orange Monster gen1 almost never leaves my wrist and after 5 or 6 years it's running fast and looking pretty rough, scratches galore, mostly on the bracelet. I'm sending it to a guy in houston to get regulated and i'd like to clean it up visually too.

The only real advice i can find online on how to clean up a watch with a brushed satin finish and polished surfaces is 1. Send it to a jeweler who does this. I'm fairly certain this will cost almost as much as I paid for the thing. or 2. Buy a scotch bright pad and cape cod cloth and just do it yourself. Which i did. I tested this out on the monster clasp and the polished surface of my other seiko and doing this method would literally take weeks and it's not precision enough to to get the polished and brushed planes on the bracelet.

What i want to know is if anybody has done this using common automatic tools like a dremel or power drill and what sort of heads i would need to get a satin finish and polish out scratches faster? There is astonishingly little information about this that i can find. I figure if i could get a small i dunno, rubber wheel with a specific abrasive embedded in it i could just like tape the drill to my desk and use it as a polishing wheel.

Any advice really to speed up this process and get good results would be appreciated.
    Heljestrand likes this.

Re: Cleaning up my orange monster advice? Scratch removal and polishing.

Not sure if you're open to this but Amazon has new Monster bracelets for like, $50. Could just pick one up and save yourself some work.

Edit - $45, even.
    Heljestrand, BigDuke and brandon\ like this.

clean it thoroughly by removing bracelet from watch and drop it in ultrasound cleaning machine.

yoid be amazed at what the water looks like after

id leave the markings on the bracelet alone..why do all that work when it will mark again

OR have the watchmaker you are sending it to polish your bracelet

or use buffing wheel jeweler buffing kit available for dremels if you want to DIY

many many options

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Admiration for your fidelity to the Orange Monster!
    L110BFV likes this.

M.E.

I agree on just buying a new bracelet since they are cheap and easy to come by. However, I personally would stay away from using power tools like dremels and such. Polishing should be done slow and easy and by hand if you arent a professional. You could get some Flitz metal polish which is more abrasive than the cape cod cloth and give that a try.
    L110BFV likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by toolguy View Post
    clean it thoroughly by removing bracelet from watch and drop it in ultrasound cleaning machine.

yoid be amazed at what the water looks like after

id leave the markings on the bracelet alone..why do all that work when it will mark again

OR have the watchmaker you are sending it to polish your bracelet

or use buffing wheel jeweler buffing kit available for dremels if you want to DIY

many many options
    Main issue is the satin finish. I can't really find any good information on what sort of material or head is used to create it outside of the huge professional polishing wheels. My dad was a jeweler, the process isn't all that difficult, a spinning wheel is a spinning wheel, and abrasive is an abrasive. I just have no idea what abrasive to use for this kind of work. Really though, i'd like to learn this simple skill to maintain watches in the future. It really doesn't look very hard, and learning it on a disposable but nice bracelet just seems like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuke View Post
    I agree on just buying a new bracelet since they are cheap and easy to come by. However, I personally would stay away from using power tools like dremels and such. Polishing should be done slow and easy and by hand if you arent a professional. You could get some Flitz metal polish which is more abrasive than the cape cod cloth and give that a try.
    if anybody knows what hand tools have the precision and capability of doing this job i'm open to suggestions. It would just be nice to be able to maintain future watches myself and this seems like a good watch to learn it on.

Just my humble opinion. If that was my watch I would rethink the whole thing. I would do nothing to the case, l would keep the movement maintained, that's it. And I would have the gaskets maintained too.

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk
    L110BFV likes this.

I did mine with a variety of wet+dry 800-3000 grit and some garyflex blocks for the brushed surface. Also used painters tape to maintain the brushing/polish.

For the polish compound , I used mother's mag and aluminium polish.

I suggest securing the case onto something and doing the work with a sanding block of some type. I used a small brass cube with the wet+dry over it, this helps maintain the edges.

L110BFV and fish70 like this.

I have never polished a watch case yet, but have polished and brushed metal before both as a hobby and at work. Theres some good advice above in the replies. Firstly I would consider just cleaning it up to see what you think of it afterwards. You might be pleasantly surprised and view the risk of going further, not worth it?
    Any polishing you might do using a process to 'speed it up' is fraught with potential danger for the first timer, so tread with real caution. The faster it happens the easier it is to mess up!
    I would suggest getting some scrap stainless to practice on first so that you can judge how much pressure and effort is required to achieve the desired finishes you want. You will need to get a little assortment of abrasives to try, ie fine emery cloths and jewellers rouge, meguires, autosol or similar pastes and compounds. I try to avoid scotchbrite over edges I don't want rounded off. Use a small perfectly flat block under the emery to achieve crisp edges between adjacent surfaces.Practice moving the block of emery slow straight and flat over the surfaces.
    Above all practice a lot and have patience to get to the desired finish.
    Gonkl likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information