creating a clone of SLA025 from an SRP775
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: creating a clone of SLA025 from an SRP775

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ok so I really like the SLA025 and was thinking I could come up with something close based on the SRP775. I think I would need the following (other than the srp775 obviously ):

1. Marine Master Hands
    2. Sapphire Crystal
    3. A more subdued and refined bezel insert (the SLA025 doesn't look as yellow as the srp775)
    4. Marine Master straps
    5. Coin Edge bezel - This would be a nice to have but maybe not necessary.

So the questions I would have are:
    1. Is there anything I'm missing?
    2. Where would you source the marine master hands? I think this is the most important part of the build and I'd want the best quality with the best lume.
    3. Would a flat crystal or a domed crystal look better?
    4. Guessing the bezel insert will be really difficult to find one that is as refined as the original SLA025 - any ideas?

Thanks for help - I'm 100% up for building this thing so your input isn't just hypothetical and I'll post the results.

Re: creating a clone of SLA025 from an SRP775

Just buy the original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly as I sit here wearing my lightly modded Turtle that came to me as it sits now, I don’t think I would go through the hassle of modding a watch. It’s great for what it is but by the time you dump the money in all the changes you’ll be in it way more than the watch is worth and you still won’t have the SLA. I feel like I came out ahead on mine, but I didn’t pay for the mods to be done.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Now if you're looking for a project simply for projects sake I totally get it (I enjoy tinkering/modding when it comes to cars and bicycles) but...

I think the case is the wrong shape for this project and when you factor in the costs, I don't know if the results will justify the effort.

Let say:

1. Marine Master Hands - $40-50
    2. Sapphire Crystal - $50
    3. A more subdued and refined bezel insert (the SLA025 doesn't look as yellow as the srp775) - $30
    4. Marine Master straps - $50
    5. Coin Edge bezel - This would be a nice to have but maybe not necessary. - $50-60

Ball park that at $200 plus the cost of the watch, plus any help from a watch maker you may need you're probably between $500-600. Now if you sold the SRP for $200ish, saved the $200ish on parts, and any additional money on help from a watch maker you could buy a used SBDC061/SPB077 or SBDC063/SPB079 and have a watch that is a reinterpretation of the watch you want to create - essentially a lower priced SLA025. You'd have a better finished case, better movement, coin edge bezel, nicer bezel insert, sapphire crystal and a silicone strap (on the 063 or 079) all in for around $500-600.

Although, I may be a bit biased - I still love my SPB077.

Quote Originally Posted by amngwlvs View Post
    Now if you're looking for a project simply for projects sake I totally get it (I enjoy tinkering/modding when it comes to cars and bicycles) but...

I think the case is the wrong shape for this project and when you factor in the costs, I don't know if the results will justify the effort.

Let say:

1. Marine Master Hands - $40-50
    2. Sapphire Crystal - $50
    3. A more subdued and refined bezel insert (the SLA025 doesn't look as yellow as the srp775) - $30
    4. Marine Master straps - $50
    5. Coin Edge bezel - This would be a nice to have but maybe not necessary. - $50-60

Ball park that at $200 plus the cost of the watch, plus any help from a watch maker you may need you're probably between $500-600. Now if you sold the SRP for $200ish, saved the $200ish on parts, and any additional money on help from a watch maker you could buy a used SBDC061/SPB077 or SBDC063/SPB079 and have a watch that is a reinterpretation of the watch you want to create - essentially a lower priced SLA025. You'd have a better finished case, better movement, coin edge bezel, nicer bezel insert, sapphire crystal and a silicone strap (on the 063 or 079) all in for around $500-600.

Although, I may be a bit biased - I still love my SPB077.

This is excellent advice.
    amngwlvs likes this.

Yeah that is good advice.....But those god awful hands .....

You want to know what started all this... You guys don't like it??

Name:  Screen_Shot_2019-05-16_at_3.42.26_PM_2048x.png
Views: 60
Size:  1.54 MB
    Dav25 likes this.

Banned

You may consider a Sharkey watch.
    These are replicas/knock-offs etc of Seiko watches and are made in China.

For Sharkey to do this legit (and it is legit), Seiko must first manufacture its normal products in China (and it does).
    Just go on ebay and search for Sharkey. (Heimdallr is another brand - but they don't seem as good).

Modding a Seiko Turtle is sacrilege. IMO.
    yankeexpress likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dimitri39 View Post
    You may consider a Sharkey watch.
    These are replicas/knock-offs etc of Seiko watches and are made in China.

For Sharkey to do this legit (and it is legit), Seiko must first manufacture its normal products in China (and it does).
    Just go on ebay and search for Sharkey. (Heimdallr is another brand - but they don't seem as good).

Modding a Seiko Turtle is sacrilege. IMO.
    I’m not sure modding any affordable Seiko would be sacrilege, but I do think it should be kept tasteful.

GTR83, Simon and dimitri39 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mxnamvar View Post
    Yeah that is good advice.....But those god awful hands .....

You want to know what started all this... You guys don't like it??

Name:  Screen_Shot_2019-05-16_at_3.42.26_PM_2048x.png
Views: 60
Size:  1.54 MB
    Now that is a beautiful piece! You should have posted it in the first place.

I hated the hands at first too but they grew on me. You could always swap them for significantly less than the mods on the Turtle if you don’t come around to them. Plus you’d have the right case shape and the movement upgrade.

Yeah I don't agree that modding is sacrilege. Thats what half the people on these forums do.
    Dunzdeck likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information