Does wrist shape matter as much as diameter when it comes to wearing a heavy SEIKO diver?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By M1K3Z0R

Thread: Does wrist shape matter as much as diameter when it comes to wearing a heavy SEIKO diver?

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Question Does wrist shape matter as much as diameter when it comes to wearing a heavy SEIKO diver?

I have a SEIKO SKA413 (BFK) that I bought a couple of years ago. My first SEIKO diver. The design really clicked with me, as well as the solid but smooth and comfortable rubber strap.

But I really haven't worn it much. I recently had to rescue it out of a completely flat battery. Having a kinetic you don't wear much isn't all that great an idea... but I figured out how to use a make-shift charger and got it back up to full.

Anyway, I wore it a bit after recharging and started to remember why I hadn't been wearing it much. My 7.5" wrist is generally large enough to handle larger sized watches. But there's something about this BFK that causes it to rotate on my wrist. If I strap it on tight, it's not comfortable. One notch wider and it's comfortable without being what I'd call excessively loose. And yet... after a bit of wearing, the watch rotates off to the side. I don't know if it's something to do with the nature of the strap design, the shape of the case, or how both rest on my wrist.

So is this a somewhat common occurrence with these large, heavy watches? Or does it all depend upon your wrist symmetry?
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Re: Does wrist shape matter as much as diameter when it comes to wearing a heavy SEIKO diver?

What is your wrist shape?, Because if your wrist shape is rounded, Watches, Specially heavy ones, will be more tended to rotate than on a rectangular wrist.
    GS SD Diver T (SBGA031), GS SBGX103, GS SBGE005, GS SBGH001, Omega Seamaster 300 Diver, Cartier Panthera, Bulgari Anigma, Omega Dynamic Cal 762, Seiko Sportura F1 (SNAB89P!), Seiko Alpinist (SARB017), Seiko Chron. 7A38 - 7280, Seiko Chron. 7T62 - 0AG0, Citizen Marinaut T C460, Certina DS Action.

Re: Does wrist shape matter as much as diameter when it comes to wearing a heavy SEIKO diver?

It doesn't matter what size the watch is it usually ends up looking at the same thing as my little finger. Actually my BFK falls into the "stable" category.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wrist shape does matter and can change over time, likely due to diet, exercise and the regular expansion/contraction from heat. And perhaps from another watch too!

I'm certain my sumo has changed the shape of my wrist lol. My monster wore fine apart from tending to spin to the 12 side, then I began wearing my sumo for the last 5 months and now my monster stays centered but tends to slide down my wrist and interfere with wrist movement. The sumo on the other hand stays put like it's a part of my arm, and when I look at my arm from the side I see where there is a sumo-sized flattened area.
    hiro1963 and xevious like this.
    Truth has been spoken:
    Quote Originally Posted by javadave View Post
    Seiko divers are like crack. You start out with a monster or 007 and next thing you know you are selling your couch on Craigslist so that you can get a taste of a spring drive or marine master.
    WISH LIST: Omega 2221.80 / Grand Seiko SBGX115 / Rolex 16613

It also has to something to do with the shape of the watch and the way the lugs are. Case in point, I had both a Seiko Tuna and a Seiko Sawtooth. The Tuna was bigger but more comfortable due to the design of the lugs. The Sawtooth by contrast was worn 4 times and sat in its box for a year before being sold off due to the way the lugs were designed and how it agitated my wrist bone and I tried it on rubber straps, nato straps and the stock metal band to no avail.

I have a G-Shock GW300 I bought back in 2004 that also sees limited duty due to the lugs design.

I also find that some of the older Seiko 5 watches with the glass case back also are unwearable due to how high the watch sits on my wrist. New versions with a slimmer case back are fine.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

I think I may have figured it out. Must be the band. It's thick but very flexible, all the way up to the lugs. If it was fixed about 1/4" outward from the lugs and then became flexible, it would likely stay in place. I double-checked some of my other watches that fit well and that's how they keep in position.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Thread Information