ETA 2824-2 VS 6r15??
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: ETA 2824-2 VS 6r15??

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

ETA 2824-2 VS 6r15??

Which movement is better? I have heard a lot of anecdotal info that the 6r15 is running at cosc specs. When I had one it was pretty accurate.

I know the 6r is a new movement but I am wondering which movement is more robust. Which is going to need less service over time and still as accurate.

Opinions, personal experiences, etc.

Thanks R
    Damasko DA38, Marathon Gsar (medium)

vandice

Re: ETA 2824-2 VS 6r15??

Can't say I prefer either because the 6R15 has been around only a short while (<5 yrs), whereas the 2824 is ubiquitous and dates back to the early 80s.

Other than a lower beat rate, the specs of the Seiko are equivalent or superior to the ETA. If the 7S26 reliability and robustness (timekeeping excepted) is anything to go by, the 6R15 will tick consistently for a long time to come, not least because it's based largely on the 7S.

Timekeeping is better (imho) than a 2824 equipped watch at the <$500 price point out of the box, though both can be regulated to a very good level of accuracy. Personally, my Spirit is about +4 seconds in 24 hours (and that includes abt 10 hrs off the wrist). Worn on the wrist, it's about +1s in 12 hours. Of course these are anecdotal.

Oh, the 6R15 winds smoother than the 2824. I still prefer the feel of a 2892's or Rolex Sub's crown action but... hey, let's compare apples to apples ya?
    Last edited by vandice; January 5th, 2008 at 08:00.

Quote Originally Posted by vandice View Post
    Other than a lower beat rate, the specs of the Seiko are equivalent or superior to the ETA.

I thought the 6r15 was 28kbph????? I have heard that there are different beats of the 2824-2 - but I could almost swear that the 6r15 is a higher beat than the 7s26....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

vandice

pooh! so much for me buying the sumo then...

I would definately pick a 2824-2 over the 6r15 since they dont share the high beatrate. I know it may require more maintenance...but 21kbph vs 28kbph makes a difference to me - especially when they are the same price....bye bye sumo for me.

thanks for the heads up!

vandice

May I ask why? I reckon the second hand tick isn't noticeable, since it made you believe it's hi-beat.

As for accuracy, the hi-beat in general is less sensitive to hand movement and positional variance but that's about it.

if its not the higher beat...i dont want to pay 3x the price for hacking & handwinding. the monster has the reliable 7s26...but one has to have a high beat watch - so since the proven ETA 2824-2 can be had for the same price - why would I go for the 6r15???? the ETA does the hacking & handwinding and IS highbeat... JMHO

vandice

It's not just the movement. I'm not into divers but the Sumo is a much better watch than the monster, from what I've read, seen and heard from owners. It's not just a monster that hacks and handwinds, that's for sure.

It's not easy to find a 2824 equivalent at a similar price point, unless one gets lucky on the used market.

However, it's your watch, your call.

agreed - the sumo is better than the monster.

for 3x the price though - lots of things need to be better...

the MKII Stingray with the 2824-2 is looking pretty darn good to me right now (especially at the $500 price point - like the sumo) ............really good infact....

vandice

Hmmm, let me get the reasoning right. You purchased the Sumo, at 3x the price of the Monster.

Now you realize its lo-beat, and that makes the same watch fall into the 'lots of things need to be better' lot...

I must admit to not following the train of thought.

The MKII looks good, from pictures. That's about all I can say about it since I've never seen a Bill Yao watch in person. They're quite exclusive I've to say.

I wonder about the grade of movement used though.
    frenk likes this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information