FIrst time Seiko owner in need of guidance (My first taste of Tuna...YUM)
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: FIrst time Seiko owner in need of guidance (My first taste of Tuna...YUM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FIrst time Seiko owner in need of guidance (My first taste of Tuna...YUM)

Hey guys, Max here. Been a watch lover since i was a kid ( thanks dad ) and ive finally gotten in the position to buy myself a real watch. Up until now I've been wearing a Tissot 1853 Sport that my dad got me on a plane some years back for pennies but over time its become an object of great value to me and its something that I will always cherish, scratches and all.

Name:  20170810_090800.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  2.65 MB

But alas, its time for an upgrade.
    For years now I've been in love with the design of the Seiko Tuna in all its various forms large and even larger :P. So I've just bought myself an SNE499P1.
    Name:  81FKLE-hSPL._UY879_.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  73.6 KB

I bought this one as I love the dial and hands and the colour combinations as a whole and I did my research and found that I can upgrade to a stainless steel shroud fairly easily which I will be doing ASAP. The watch arrives on Thursday and I will be ordering a new bracelet and shroud ASAP. Likely I will upgrade the hardlex to AR Sapphire double domed at some stage as well to finish off the upgrade. So I have a couple questions regarding the shroud and the bracelet that I'm going to purchase that I hope you guys can help me with.

In terms of the Shroud I have two choices as far as I can tell there is Yobokies and
    Stitches&Buckles. Since I've heard some people find Yobokies a little trickier to install i think i will go with Stitches&Buckles who also has offered to send me a tool for fitting the shroud as well which is awesome. Id be interested to hear from you guys if you have any tips regarding the installing of a new shroud and any possible speed bumps I might run into.

Regarding the bracelet, I'm not in a position to spend £100+ on a bracelet so I'm looking to budget myself to a max of about £70 per bracelet.

I want to purchase a Shark Mesh and a Super Engineer and I've found ones that I like at WatchGecko.com that are in my price range and seem good quality but I have a few questions.

For my SNE499P1, should I purchase curved ends for the super engineer bracelet or does the shroud on my solar Tuna make them impossible to fit?

Also I have a 6.8inch wrist and I worried that the Shark Mesh will be too long even at its shortest length with all H links removed so I may have to remove a row or two of links with a tool which makes me slightly nervous, does anyone have experience with this procedure that could advise me?
    I'm open to any advise or recommendations in regards to all points I've raised in this post.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to getting to know some of you guys here in the near future.

Regards

Max

PS. Not sure what happened to the font in the middle of the post, maybe one of the mods can help me out. Thanks.

Re: FIrst time Seiko owner in need of guidance (My first taste of Tuna...YUM)

Hmmm.. Something like this? You'll want straight endlinks. I want to change the shroud for stainless also, but I use the watch for work and the plastic takes a beating and doesn't show it. Also, at the price of those shrouds, it's just not worth it to me. But the watch is great, I haven't worn my g shock since I got it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    max187 likes this.

Exactly like that, yours looks great. May I ask what brand shark mesh it is? Thanks for the info on the straight ends as I was pretty sure that the curved ones would not fit with the solar tunas shroud.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The mesh is easy to find on amazon. There are some that have a more round link, and some have a flatter link. Mine, I believe, is the flatter. It is not the sort with the H links. I cut the links out using a dremmel with cutting wheel. Some folks use a wire cutter; maybe that works, I had a dremmel. Cut links out slowly, you can't put them back. Start with the 6 o'clock side first to get your clasp in the right place, then size the 12 o'clock side. And please wear safety glasses. Speaking of the clasp, mine is a 22mm ratchet clasp from strap code. 63$ well spent.

Incidentally, I've been using this bracelet exclusively on my turtle. I only put it on the tuna after seeing your post. The two watches must be the same exact size. And, yeah, I'm liking this combination.

I didn't realise you could even buy clasps separately, you've sent me down a new rabbit hole. Im a big fan of butterfly clasps so im gonna keep an eye out for a nice brushed one to go along with the brushed finish of the strap and shroud. I think I will be going for a H link Shark Mesh so I wont have to do as much cutting but thanks for the tip on where to start and positioning the buckle, that's something I would've easily missed.

Yup. A lot of folks figure that both sides should be the same length. But, unless your wrist is round, that'll make for an unbalanced fit.

Also, I dunno if it matters to you, but the clasp I got from strapcode is brushed and matches the watch perfectly.

Looks awesome, thanks so much for your input. Ill be sure to update the thread here when I install the Shroud and adjust the bracelet. Haven't been so excited for years it feels like. Already thinking of what model to grab myself this Christmas, one of the monster models perhaps.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information