• 1 Post By Black5
  • 1 Post By MrDisco99
  • 1 Post By milgauss1349
  • 1 Post By tynan.nida
  • 1 Post By WeirdGuy
  • 1 Post By narcosynthesis

Thread: Fun times at the local watch merchant/jewelry store

Fun times at the local watch merchant/jewelry store

I was at the UPS store where I have an account this afternoon (location: Columbus, Ohio). I had my 6309-7049 with me since it has been losing a lot of time (even though I had it serviced by a watchmaker in Beaumont, TX last month.) Anyway, there is a high-end jeweler with a watchmaker on staff across the street, so I drove over and walked in. There was a nice young lady who greeted me as I walked in and I told her why I was there. She politely asked me to wait while she got someone to help, and I of course agreed but asked her if it would be ok if I waited over by the watch display area, which she said was fine.

I make my way over to the watches and after a very brief interval was accosted by a salesman/manager (I'm not sure which) who asked me why I was there. I explained that I had an older Seiko automatic watch that had recently been serviced but wasn't holding time. He immediately stopped me as soon as he heard Seiko and huffily pronounced "WE DIDN'T SERVICE THAT WATCH!", as though I was asking him to personally service a watch I won at a carnival. I tried to explain, again, what I was looking for - just someone to take a look to see if the watch had actually been serviced back in December (I have my doubts - I think he just regulated it and cleaned the case), but he wasn't having any of it. The next words out of his mouth were "We only sell and service REAL Swiss watches here!". Well, that sure put me in my place (not). He then continued, "Perhaps it's time for a new watch? A REAL SWISS watch?!?" I said, "well, I have lots of watches. Perhaps it's time to find a REAL jewelry store" and walked out.

I had been considering buying a Tudor watch there - they have some nice examples on display. But I sure as hell am not going to give this joint one penny of my business.
    kplam, ricPe, ewewew and 2 others like this.

Ahhh,

Customer Service - it’s a lost art...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
    So many watches, So little time...
    ChuckSchilling likes this.
    So many watches, so little time...

Re: Fun times at the local watch merchant/jewelry store

Yeah that kind of treatment would put them on my black list.

I'll never buy from someone who insults my taste.
    Casio DW5600E; Orient Bambino V3; Red Star 1963; Seiko SARB033, SKX007 (NH36), SNA411, SNK809 (rebuild), SSB033, SUP880; Timex Fairfield Small Seconds; Tissot Automatic III; Vostok 420059

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckSchilling View Post
    I was at the UPS store where I have an account this afternoon (location: Columbus, Ohio). I had my 6309-7049 with me since it has been losing a lot of time (even though I had it serviced by a watchmaker in Beaumont, TX last month.) Anyway, there is a high-end jeweler with a watchmaker on staff across the street, so I drove over and walked in. There was a nice young lady who greeted me as I walked in and I told her why I was there. She politely asked me to wait while she got someone to help, and I of course agreed but asked her if it would be ok if I waited over by the watch display area, which she said was fine.

I make my way over to the watches and after a very brief interval was accosted by a salesman/manager (I'm not sure which) who asked me why I was there. I explained that I had an older Seiko automatic watch that had recently been serviced but wasn't holding time. He immediately stopped me as soon as he heard Seiko and huffily pronounced "WE DIDN'T SERVICE THAT WATCH!", as though I was asking him to personally service a watch I won at a carnival. I tried to explain, again, what I was looking for - just someone to take a look to see if the watch had actually been serviced back in December (I have my doubts - I think he just regulated it and cleaned the case), but he wasn't having any of it. The next words out of his mouth were "We only sell and service REAL Swiss watches here!". Well, that sure put me in my place (not). He then continued, "Perhaps it's time for a new watch? A REAL SWISS watch?!?" I said, "well, I have lots of watches. Perhaps it's time to find a REAL jewelry store" and walked out.

I had been considering buying a Tudor watch there - they have some nice examples on display. But I sure as hell am not going to give this joint one penny of my business.
    Solid sales tactic; that guy should fly back to the 80s, he’d make a killing bullying people into sales definitely hit the location with a google review at least

I was at one place that firmly stated that the 37mm YM was a WOMANS reference and wouldn’t even pull it out for me to consider or come to my own conclusions. My 1803 and I were not impressed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Something similar happened at a local watch store/repair shop near me. Wouldn’t even look at my Seiko all I wanted was a regulation, not hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fark. That. Guy.
    FTPOSMMS

A brilliant salesman there - I would be tempted to get in touch with the management of the store to let them know the poor attitude of their staff lost them at least one good sale...

The opposite of course would be the jeweller local to me that I prefer - having stopped in, dressed poorly (having been cycling past and seen something in the window)and being upfront about not being able to buy anything today, but being interested they couldn't have been more attentive and helpful, and that is the sort of service that ensures I will be back again later...

I spent my working life in finance but if a chap walked into my watch shop asking about a watch he had serviced and was looking at the displays I’d think “ah, potential customer” and do my best for him in the hopes that even if I didn’t sell him something there and then he’d come back in the future because I was so helpful when he brought the Seiko in. Mind, what do I know - I was only a pusher of pens.

Thread Information