Grand Seiko SBGA407 Review
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By oliver37
  • 1 Post By oliver37

Thread: Grand Seiko SBGA407 Review

Grand Seiko SBGA407 Review

Hi all,

I think my last post was a review of my then-new SBGA387. Recently I acquired a new GS to replace it, one that checks a few of the same boxes at first glance, but is a very different watch in most ways.

First off, I want to say that the SBGA387 is a fine watch and very interesting to look at, but I had some overlap in my "nice casual watch" wardrobe, primarily due to the presence of my SARX057, which I found myself wearing more often than the GS. Many would say that I was doing it wrong and the SBGA387 is not a casual watch at all (which I'm on the fence about due to its mostly-polished-everything-yet-has-a-bracelet juxtaposition). It can make a nice dress watch, especially on the included blue alligator strap, but it's certainly not a classic look, and I felt it made a bit more of a statement than I was comfortable with. It is very shiny, and those angular surfaces really glisten in the light.

Lastly, there was one thing that, once I noticed, I could not un-see: the rehaut is quite deep and vertical, and it began to look like the end of a toilet paper roll to me! Here's a good image of what I'm talking about:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  137.8 KB

So anyway, that's the background story. I did not know I was ready for a change until I saw it: the blue-dialed Snowflake. Most here who have seen a Snowflake in person probably remember it (I still remember the first time I saw one), but the dial in "dress shirt blue" actually made me swear under my breath. One aspect of the Snowflake dial that doesn't get a lot of press is that it is extremely matte by nature of its texture. That matte quality makes the polished hands and indices POP much more than they do on the SBGA387, which has all of the polish in all the places, including the shimmering dial.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  195.6 KB

I suffered much consternation over the conservative case of the SBGA407. Sounds a little weird, given what I wrote above, but of the two dress watches I've owned, I sold one (Zenith Elite Ultra Thin) and never wear the other (Seiko 60th anniversary chronograph). I don't do the suit and tie thing often enough to justify a watch that can't be versatile, but was inspired by this article and began to think I could pull it off. So I committed to finding a more casual strap and buying the watch.

As it turns out, finding a gray 19mm strap is nearly impossible (including the one in that article, which is back-ordered). So I settled on an 18mm version to hold me over until the Hodinkee strap is available.

Here are a few pics:

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  82.0 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  107.7 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  139.1 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  206.4 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  179.5 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  148.4 KB

As it turns out, visually, the case kind of takes a back seat and serves only as a place to hold the true star of the show: the dial / index marker combo. The only thing I really notice about the case is that it sometimes takes on a warm, sterling silver-colored hue, which I think suits the watch quite nicely.

This watch is about 40mm, which is slightly smaller than the SBGA387, and I think may be the perfect size for my wrist. It's on the thicker side for a dress watch, but it doesn't feel or look chunky on my 7" wrist. Actually, I don't think I would change one thing about the dimensions or proportions, given the choice.

Cheers!
    Last edited by oliver37; 6 Days Ago at 02:31.

Re: Grand Seiko SBGA407 Review

Now with improved, unbroken image links!
    imperio likes this.

I've gotten 19mm straps from Watch Gecko. That's a great watch and great pics. Thanks for sharing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

Good read, thanks.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by imperio View Post
    I've gotten 19mm straps from Watch Gecko. That's a great watch and great pics. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you! I ended up in the site a few times actually. There's a pretty nice gray painswick strap, but, since I am just buying time awaiting the restocking of that Hodinkee strap, I kept it simple and cheap @$17 shipped from Amazon :)

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

To say that yonder watch was handsome would be one of my famous understatements.