Help building a Poor Mans Marine Master!
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help building a Poor Mans Marine Master!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Help building a Poor Mans Marine Master!

Hello everyone

Im pretty new to the Watchuseek forums and already gotten alot of help! I was looking at the SKX007. But after looking at more pictures, I saw people modify their seiko divers to look like a Marine Master. I wish i could afford a marine master, but they still cost $2000 brand new?

So i would like to make a a Poor Man's Marine Master. I think there is 2 ways of doing this?

First way by using a SKX007 watch, SKX171 dial face, Samurai Hands, the date will be in White.

Second way by using SKX171 watch, SKX007 Bezel, Samurai Hands, the date will be in Black.

I have some questions, what is the difference between the two watches SKX007 and SKX171? Which one is better stock? Like do they work exactly the same as each other, just different looks? Is the SKX007 and SKX171 same sizes or is one a bit bigger than the other?

If the two watches are the same, i think i will want to build my Poor mans marine master with a SKX171 watch as base. This is because i will only have to add a SKX007 bezel and Samurai Hands. Also the date is Black from the stock SKX171 which i think looks nicer and blends in better than a White date from SKX007.

I am still very new to watches and this will be my first watch and pretty sure i want to modify it like this. Is there someone who can help me build this with the right parts and does anyone know approximately how much it would cost to make this?

I will post the 2 versions i mentioned, the SKX171 base and a SKX007 base. SKX171 is the one with the Black date which i think looks better. SKX007 is the one with the White date.

Thanks!

Name:  SEIKO7S26-7020SKX171PMMM_Dial3.jpg
Views: 11480
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  normal_IMG_8896.jpg
Views: 10785
Size:  42.7 KB

Re: Help building a Poor Mans Marine Master!

Both are basically the same watch. Just a different dail and bezel.
    The 171 dail looks more like the marine master with it's chromed indexes

Yup, same watch under the hood.
    If you like the black day/date it's much easier and probably more economical to start with the 171 as long as you can source the watch at a good price.

Will you be doing the mods yourself? The bezel is an easy swap, the hands require a few tools.
    Jake B might still have some 171s at a good price. If he does he can probably send you the completed mod.

I used an SKX007 for mine. I have black day and date wheels but haven't had time to install them yet. For now it's fine with the white.

nmadd likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Photoshooter: thanks for the reply and your SKX007 base looks really goood. I do like the Black day/date better so I think i should start with a SKX171. This will be my first watch and i dont know anything about watch modding, so i most likely will want to have someone do it for me. How much does a SKX171 cost brand new and is it hard to get? If JakeB is able to get me a SKX171 for a good price brand new and then help me install the Samurai hands and skx007 bezel, that would be really perfect and help alot! How much do you think it will cost me to have it all done and shipped to me? Approximate price?

thanks!!!

You better contact Jake at 10watches.
    Or send him a PM on these boards.

You can contact Jake at dotwatchworks at gmail.com (replace "at" with @)
    I contacted him last month and he was out of 171s but I see they are now listed on the 10 Watches site for $180. I'm not sure what it would cost to swap the bezel and install the hands but if you drop him a line he can tell you.

My PMMM has the superdome sapphire with the sloped bezel insert so I spent a little more for that.

Photoshooter, what does the superdome sapphire do and with the sloped bezel insert? better quality, look better and harder to scratch? How much did that part cost you? I am new to watches and dont know anything.. haha so i have alot to learn. I have sent Jake a PM on the forum and hope to get a reponse from him soon. thanks

I used 10watches triple grip bezel on mine. I just like the look of it over the stock bezel. It's a great fit.

whats the difference between triple grip bezel and the stock bezel on skx007? Is it taller or bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by vvind View Post
    Photoshooter, what does the superdome sapphire do and with the sloped bezel insert? better quality, look better and harder to scratch? How much did that part cost you? I am new to watches and dont know anything.. haha so i have alot to learn. I have sent Jake a PM on the forum and hope to get a reponse from him soon. thanks
    I've read somewhere on the internet that the Superdome makes you irresistible to members of the opposite sex. My casual observation on my own watch would support this theory.

The Superdome is a sapphire crystal that replaces the stock Seiko mineral crystal. It has a raised dome shape as opposed to the stock flat crystal. The bezel insert is sloped as well to match the curve of the crystal. It is thicker and weighs more than the stock glass so it adds a little bit of weight and a classier (in my opinion) look.

If you go and browse the 10 Watches web store you will find limitless fun ways to empty your wallet. The superdome kit is listed at $85. I'm not sure if there's an install charge. Whenever I order from Jake I usually tend to throw lots of extra things in the cart.

The triple grip bezel is slightly taller than the stock bezel. It's main attraction (for me) is simply that it looks different and adds to the "custom" appeal of modding a watch.

Superdome

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information