How Cool is Having a Small Generator in Your Wrist?

Thread: How Cool is Having a Small Generator in Your Wrist?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Laughing How Cool is Having a Small Generator in Your Wrist?

The idea of having a small generator/dynamo in my wrist to power my watch every time I move my hand is one of the coolest things with Kinetic watches. That without compromising accuracy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: How Cool is Having a Small Generator in Your Wrist?

I agree, it's very cool! Until your collection grows...and you don't have enough wrists!

I love my Kinetics, but they're still basically quartz watches. It's cool to have a generator on your wrist but it's even cooler to have a mechanical spring winder on it. Plus, my SARB065 has been nearly as accurate as my Kinetic, gaining only 1 second every four days.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

How about an automatic? they're both about as close as one can get to perpetual motion!

And PLEASE, I know perpetual motion is impossible, so I hope no-one will explain why it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hughes View Post
    I love my Kinetics, but they're still basically quartz watches. It's cool to have a generator on your wrist but it's even cooler to have a mechanical spring winder on it. Plus, my SARB065 has been nearly as accurate as my Kinetic, gaining only 1 second every four days.
    Quote Originally Posted by artec View Post
    How about an automatic? they're both about as close as one can get to perpetual motion!

And PLEASE, I know perpetual motion is impossible, so I hope no-one will explain why it is!
    I love the idea of mechanical system too but they cannot keep good time most of the time. You are very lucky to have that accuracy for a mechanical. For me, I once damaged the hairspring of a Seiko for not keeping up with a digital watch (yes, in my early teens I was very stubborn with accuracy). But I still love watching the balance wheel spin back and forth.
    If I have to rank my preferences for watch technologies out there,1. SD, 2. Kinetic, 3. Solar, 4. Mechnical, 5. regular battery quartz , 6. Hour glass on your wrist (cool!)

Perpetual motion is possible with two magnets separated by a glass (or anything capable but of course you want it clear) of absolute vacuum where one is doing its spin in perpetuity. Oh! with watches? Yeah, I think it is impossible.
    Last edited by j3poii; March 5th, 2011 at 06:47.

How in the world did you get it IN your wrist???

"Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

I'm sure I'm going to regret asking this but why should either of your magnets rotate just because they're separated by something clear? Even in a vacuum? Once they've either plastered themselves against the transparent wall or repelled themselves as far as they can, what will cause them to move?

Quote Originally Posted by brandon\ View Post
    Must be a very tight bracelet

Poor English, my bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon\ View Post

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Must be a very tight bracelet

Quote Originally Posted by artec View Post
    I'm sure I'm going to regret asking this but why should either of your magnets rotate just because they're separated by something clear? Even in a vacuum? Once they've either plastered themselves against the transparent wall or repelled themselves as far as they can, what will cause them to move?
    Magnets either attract or repel depending on the polarity. You just have to make the other float and apply a little force. An object in motion will continue moving unless acted by an external force, i.e. friction, air resistance. So you have to put the magnet in motion in a vacuum to eliminate all forces that will try to stop it. If it is floating, no friction. In a vacuum, no air resistance. The same set up planets are in perpetual motion because outer space is in itself a vacuum.
    Last edited by j3poii; March 6th, 2011 at 07:29.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information