I have a hard time buying a vintage Rolex when I could get a MM300
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: I have a hard time buying a vintage Rolex when I could get a MM300

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    rkb

I have a hard time buying a vintage Rolex when I could get a MM300

Well, I have turned the corner...... For over 20 years I have owned a Rolex and at times up to three at once, these days I have a Z series Explorer and that's it. The other day my Rolex AD wanted me to come by and look at a vintage Rolex GMT Master and with reference books in hand I went to have a look. First they told me that the price was around 4900 to 5K, without even seeing the watch I told them that might be a tad ambitious. Then when they brought the piece out it looked pretty much beat up, certainly not what I was after- a 1970s very generic, very mass produced 1675. Nothing cool like pointed crown guards or gilded chapter ring etc..... Yes, the Rolex service center can do miracles but at a price.

My point, why would I buy fairly common 1970's tech just for the sake of the look. Certainly there is the investment standpoint IF the GMT was a rare version- this was not. I can't do it, while I doubt that I'll every be without a Rolex my exposure to the finery of Seiko has made me re-think what I value. For now, it's a MM300 that has my eye, great history dating back to the late 60s, great modern movement. There was a time when I may have been so blinded by the marketing genius that is Rolex that I would have flinched, but the Seiko has steadied my resolve. Soon that MM300 will be mine-
    deluded, 80talisten, myke and 2 others like this.
    TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY RED ROLEX EXPLORER II TUDOR HERITAGE CHRONOGRAPH ROLEX EXPLORER I TUDOR SUBMARINER 7928 ROLEX DATEJUST SEIKO SBDX001 MARINEMASTER 300M SCURFA D1-500 ND713 SEIKO SKX173 SEIKO SBDC005 ORANGE SUMO SEIKO SKX009K SEIKO SUN015P1 SEIKO 6309 SEIKO SRPC91 TAGHEUER 980.006 STEINHART OCEAN ONE VINTAGE STEINHART OCEAN VINTAGE GMT NEW HAMILTON JAZZMASTER VIEWMATIC TISSOT V8 CHRONOGRAPH SUUNTO​ AMBIT VERTICAL STEINHART OCEAN VINTAGE MILITARY V1 SQUALE TROPIC GMT CERAMICA ORIS CLASSIC DATE SEIKO JDM HEQ GMT SBQJ017 SEIKO SBDC003 BLUE SUMO

TGE

Re: I have a hard time buying a vintage Rolex when I could get a MM300

Yesssss. Don't own a Rolex but my dad has a Submariner. Nice watches, and would like one myself someday, but the old MM300...come on in, the water's fine.

Name:  P6102510-001.JPG
Views: 1156
Size:  206.7 KB
    Regards,
    Tim

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals." - The Stranger

rkb

That pic rocks!!!
    TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY RED ROLEX EXPLORER II TUDOR HERITAGE CHRONOGRAPH ROLEX EXPLORER I TUDOR SUBMARINER 7928 ROLEX DATEJUST SEIKO SBDX001 MARINEMASTER 300M SCURFA D1-500 ND713 SEIKO SKX173 SEIKO SBDC005 ORANGE SUMO SEIKO SKX009K SEIKO SUN015P1 SEIKO 6309 SEIKO SRPC91 TAGHEUER 980.006 STEINHART OCEAN ONE VINTAGE STEINHART OCEAN VINTAGE GMT NEW HAMILTON JAZZMASTER VIEWMATIC TISSOT V8 CHRONOGRAPH SUUNTO​ AMBIT VERTICAL STEINHART OCEAN VINTAGE MILITARY V1 SQUALE TROPIC GMT CERAMICA ORIS CLASSIC DATE SEIKO JDM HEQ GMT SBQJ017 SEIKO SBDC003 BLUE SUMO

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In my opinion

The vintage compare with current model

I always choose vintage first , if the vintage is right one .

Unless the current model is limited edition or will be discontinued soon .

Btw, you can not meet the right one always.

I see the MM300 craving is starting to get stronger. lol.
    myke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TGE View Post
    Yesssss. Don't own a Rolex but my dad has a Submariner. Nice watches, and would like one myself someday, but the old MM300...come on in, the water's fine.

Name:  P6102510-001.JPG
Views: 1156
Size:  206.7 KB
    Very, very nice. Makes me want to buy another MM300. You are quite skilled in the ways of the enabler. :)

I'd like a Rolex too some day, but it's not on my want-in-the-near-future list, which is filled with Seiko's (primarily Tunas LOL).

But the MM300's a fine versatile piece in the meantime and I'd suggest it for anyone's collection.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

i feel you rkb.. i noticed that you listed the fantastic blue sumo in your signature; that watch reaalllyy opened my eyes to how great seiko is and like you, that marinemaster itch is slowly getting itchier.. i'm trying to completely ignore the GS itch ;)
    rkb likes this.
    Bulova Marine Star
    Citizen Ni
    ghthawk BJ7010-16F
    Omega
    Speedmaster Pro Mark II 145.014 (1970) / Seamaster PO 2209.50
    Rolex
    Submariner 14060M / Explorer I 214270 / Explorer II 16570 / Datejust 16013 (from my grandfather)
    Seiko GS SBGV005 HAQ /
    Yachtman 6138-0011 (1974) / Arnie h558-5000 (1982)
    Victorinox
    Night Vision II

the boy: Casio AQS800W-1B2V

rkb, the MM300 is calling your name... Don't wait, just pull the trigger man. I am so glad I did, this watch is everything I thought it would be and SO much more. Here are some other pics to compliment TGE amazing photo.

Name:  be25e24f.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  236.1 KB

Name:  c2d736ed.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  198.4 KB
    rkb, T. Wong, TGE and 5 others like this.

Wow!!! That 1st pic Veatorious posted looks so life-like that I can almost touch it. Pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by anbu View Post
    Wow!!! That 1st pic Veatorious posted looks so life-like that I can almost touch it. Pretty impressive.
    Thank you for the kind words.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information