I purchased the SKX007J, again. Here is my second SKX007J story.
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: I purchased the SKX007J, again. Here is my second SKX007J story.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I purchased the SKX007J, again. Here is my second SKX007J story.

After considering for almost 6 months of having strong urges of which Seiko Divers I should purchase, I've finally decided on the legendary SKX007J, again. Here's my story.

I've previously owned (in chronological order) the First Generation monster ("SKX779"), "SKX007J", Seiko Kinetic BFK ("SKA371") and Second Generation Monster with 4R36 movement, ("SRP307J") all which I've sold to fund my other watches. I sold my first SKX007J after 6 months due to it running slow (-20 Seconds) a day. I understand that it's within specs for the 7S26 but I cannot tolerate my watches running slow, my other Seiko were running fast. I wore for 6 months to make sure the movement was broken in, but still, it was running slow.

After I've sold my last Seiko, the SRP307J, I've been wearing my Sinn U1 since 2013. I begin to feel a sense of emptiness, a void that I do miss having a Seiko Divers in my collection. I do get urges to purchase another Seiko Divers now and then but I managed to hold off these urges till 2014, when Seiko introduced at BaselWorld the "New Prospex", which includes the Second Generation Monsters, which irks me. Make no mistake, I love the Japan Domestic Market "JDM" Prospex line. MM300, Tunas, Sumo etc... but with the New Prospex, they are charging more for the identical existing product, with a additional new logo printed on the dial and caseback, and the branding of "Prospex". This doesn't make sense to my wallet. However, on the Corporate decision point of view, I do not blame them. (Increasing Sales numbers, releasing new products and making shareholders happy etc...) This Seiko decision did not stop me from loving this brand, but managed to suppress my urge to get another Seiko for a whole year.

And then, early this year, the urges came back...

So, what made me choose the SKX007J?

1) It's the one of the few iconic models that doesn't get the "New Prospex" treatment. Good thing for me. I like my watches simple and I'm quite particular with such branding stuff. (Imagine getting the regular SRP307J again and in your mind you know there is a New Prospex version out there. Essentially they are the same product, but the New Prospex SRP581K monster is "newer", and not forgetting the new JDM SBDC025 monster with the 6R15). I'll probably lose sleep over this, lol.

2) The 7S26 movement. Non hacking and non manual crown winding. I like the 6R15, 4R36, and my Sinn U1's SW200-1 (Essentially, the ETA2824-1), too. But the 7S26 is unique as it lacks those additional features. Just pure automatic movement.

3) It has its DNA roots tracing back to the first Seiko Diver watch, enough said. One of the most, or the most iconic Seiko Divers ever made. The monster has its own iconic cult status and following, too. But the SKX007 has roots tracing back all the way back to its ancestors of diving watches.

4) It is the most widely debated watch in history. SKX007J or SKX007K. Made in Japan? or Made in elsewhere? , No, do not start this again.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story. And there you go, some mandatory pictures and wrist shots. Oh, the rubber feels slightly softer as compared to my first SKX007J.

I purchased my SKX007J from my regular store. They were kind enough to provide me a few pieces to choose from, as they know that the SKX007/009/011 series are notorious for having the chapter ring alignment issue. Thankfully I managed to find one that is 99% perfect, looks like its off alignment by a hairline to the left. Not too bad considering the others have worse alignment, which I took photos of it as well.

Full set of stuff given! Box, papers, hand-tags, even the iconic Seiko 5 Made in Japan Strap tag!

Seems like my 007 was made in 2014, May.

The new SKX007J with his new friend, the Sinn U1.

Lastly, the wrist shot!

Other choices with bad alignment chapter ring:

Last edited by Byfrost; June 14th, 2015 at 09:08. Reason: Spelling Errors.
    Owner of

Rolex Submariner Reference 114060
    Damasko DA37 on Steel Bracelet
    Sinn U1 on Sinn Steel Bracelet
    Seiko SKX007J.

Casio G-Shock: GWF1000-1JF Frogman and GW5000-1JF.

Re: I purchased the SKX007J, again. Here is my second SKX007J story.

I too have been considering re-buying this piece. Thanks for sharing! Good pics too!
    Byfrost likes this.

Congrats on the repurchased. It is indeed an iconic piece.

When i look at my 6 digit no, it seems mine was made in October 2003. But purchase in 2015 Jan.
    Last edited by luth_ukail; June 14th, 2015 at 15:19.
    Byfrost likes this.
    i have many many memory with many watches, but the only one that is worthy is my all time favorite - the Tudor Submariner 79090.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You do realize the 007 is not a "5", right? Not sure why yours came with a "5" tag. Also, the square white box is a "display" box, I believe; blur rectangle shaped box is the standard when Seiko boxes them.
    mistercoffee1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nepatriot View Post
    You do realize the 007 is not a "5", right? Not sure why yours came with a "5" tag. Also, the square white box is a "display" box, I believe; blur rectangle shaped box is the standard when Seiko boxes them.
    Hi nepatriot

Yes, I do know the SKX007J does not belong to the Seiko 5 line of watches, but somehow all the "J" variants of this diver watch series (the SKX007J, SKX009J and SKX011J) all have this Gold bordered Seiko 5 Made in Japan strap tag.

The tag has been together with this series of divers for as long as I can remember.
    Owner of

Seiko SKX007J.

Thanks for posting. You're on your second 007 and I haven't started on my first yet - I keep telling myself that I don't need one as I've got a 009 but it's still there on my "get" list. One day!

Quote Originally Posted by Byfrost View Post
    Hi nepatriot

Yes, I do know the SKX007J does not belong to the Seiko 5 line of watches, but somehow all the "J" variants of this diver watch series (the SKX007J, SKX009J and SKX011J) all have this Gold bordered Seiko 5 Made in Japan strap tag.

The tag has been together with this series of divers for as long as I can remember.
    interesting ... Never saw that. I've bought new from authorized dealers several SKX variants, including the 007 "J". All came in a Seiko blue box, never a "5" tag. The 007 is in the Prospex line, right? Now that I think in this, I had a "k" version from a U.S. Dealer that came in the square white box. The dealer is authorized, and has an impeccable reputation, and pointed out on his site the it would come in a white display Seiko box because he gets the these loose. Gray market.
    Last edited by nepatriot; June 14th, 2015 at 18:02.

It's not weird for one to own more than a piece of identical models... I myself own 2 SNZG stealth field watch, although they're just an alphabet apart, one J and a K... I also own 2 Sandoz Submariner homage that may look identical, in dial color, as well as bezel color... but they're roughly 15yrs or so apart...

These type of "obsession", often trace us back to the initial impressions we have of the models that we acquired. Should you had felt bored... on the first initial piece, you can always considered to have it modded to get a fresh new look...
    A piece of my favorite timepiece, is like a dish of local delicacies. It's not about how good it may look, or how branded in may came from popular stalls or restaurants. It's always the materials and concoction that produces the best keep!

Quote Originally Posted by nepatriot View Post
    interesting ... Never saw that. I've bought new from authorized dealers several SKX variants, including the 007 "J". All came in a Seiko blue box, never a "5" tag. The 007 is in the Prospex line, right? Now that I think in this, I had a "k" version from a U.S. Dealer that came in the square white box. The dealer is authorized, and has an impeccable reputation, and pointed out on his site the it would come in a white display Seiko box because he gets the these loose. Gray market.
    Hi nepatriot

Nope, the SKX007J is not in the Prospex line; and yes, my watch is a gray market (parallel import) model.
    Owner of

Seiko SKX007J.

Nice watch, fantastic for the price. I know how you feel about "missing" the Seiko diver in your collection. I've owned entry (SKXA35), low mid (2 monsters), mid (2 sumos), and high (MM300) and miss having one in my collection. I'm sure I'll be buying another one down the line.

Enjoy it, and do not sell it! Yours looks to be well put together.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information