Inexpensive Automatic, GMT Diver-type watch (any ideas?)

Thread: Inexpensive Automatic, GMT Diver-type watch (any ideas?)

Inexpensive Automatic, GMT Diver-type watch (any ideas?)

Hello.
    Can anyone recommend an inexpensive automatic, GMT Diver-type watch? I would really love one for travel and such. I generally like diver-style watches so am looking for a GMT automatic without paying Rolex GMT prices. Would love it if Seiko made a GMT model with 7S26-type movement and had a similar style to my Seiko SKX011J.
    Any ideas (any brand) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

:thanks

Re: Inexpensive Automatic, GMT Diver-type watch (any ideas?)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose-32
    Can anyone recommend an inexpensive automatic, GMT Diver-type watch?
    I am far from being an authority on such things - but I don't think what you are looking for exists... Automatic GMT movements are more complicated than run off the mill 7S26es - so by this very virtue are more expensive. You can easily get something affordable (in the $100 - $150 USD range) in quartz. But I have not yet seen an inexpensive automatic GMT watch...

Michael

...or buy an old Seiko Worldtimer auto on the 'Bay.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Retired and living in the mountains of Northeast Pennsylvania

About the least expensive automatic GMT dive watches available is the Hamilton Khaki Navy GMT. Their retail price is ~$650, but if you shop around, you can find them selling for under $400. It's a great watch for the money.

Here's a pic of the black dial version. I know they also come in blue and silver dial versions and possibly others.

Steve

My favorite diver? Jessica Alba, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper
    About the least expensive automatic GMT dive watches available is the Hamilton Khaki Navy GMT. Their retail price is ~$650, but if you shop around, you can find them selling for under $400. It's a great watch
    Actually - you may want to consider taking a look at ORIENT. You can pick up a GMT on Amazon for $270. If you do sign up for their credid card - they give you $30 off so you get an automatic GMT for $240
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...UTF8&s=jewelry

Or for $350 (delivered) you can pick up this cool looking ORIENT GMT Power Reserve (though it's styled more like an aviator watch than a diver):

http://www.watchpavilion.com/tek9.as...cific=jplmqme8

(Amazon has them too. So again - you can get it for $320 if you accept their credit card offer at the time of purchase: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...UTF8&s=jewelry )

Michael
    Last edited by mchomicz; August 22nd, 2006 at 20:14.

Oops - I got SO hang up on Japanese brands that this completely slipped my mind. I was quite wrong to say one can not get an affordable GMT automatic. You can get an Alpha GMT for under $50 delivered. They make several Rolex look-alikes (homage watches if you prefer to call them that) and some are real nice in fit and finish quality. Chinese movements. Chinese everything acutally But some are nice. Come with solid link bracelets with removable links connected with screws. A nice touch.

http://stores.ebay.com/ALPHA-WATCH_P...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Michael
    Last edited by mchomicz; August 22nd, 2006 at 21:27.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianS
    I had a look and they have some cool looking homage watches (read fakes without the logos), but I'm concerned about the quality of a $50 automatic. Can anyone attest to Alpha time keeping ability?
    Thank you for all the ideas. Please keep them coming. As for Alpha here is a poor review on the web.

http://www.wristwatchreview.com/2006...pha-gmt-diver/

Quote Originally Posted by Moose-32
    As for Alpha here is a poor review on the web.
    http://www.wristwatchreview.com/2006...pha-gmt-diver/
    From what I've read posted by other members here - Alpha quality in terms of fit and finish is of hit or miss. Some models are exceptionally well built; others are about as good as gum-ball machine watches. That review may have been of the 'gum-ball' variety But some members of this forum have both nice and lousy Alphas - so they have a good basis for comparing them ('gum-ball machine watch' used above is a term borrowed from one of those owners of both good and bad Alphas). I think this is supposed to be one of the 'nice' quality Alphas: http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPHA-EXPLORER-G...QQcmdZViewItem

I forget what I read here about time keeping. If I recall - one member was reporting +/- 20 sec per day for an un-regulated Alpha. But don't quote me on this If you have the patience do it - you can always try and regulate an Alpha on your own and see how well you can make it run Probably a good watch to learn how to do this on - and if you accidentally break it in process - not a real big loss. Certainly easy to replace

Michael
    Last edited by mchomicz; August 23rd, 2006 at 01:01.

I just read that review. I'm not sure what's worse - the quality of the watch or the quality of the 'review' If I were to buy an Alpha - I'd look for more details. Because this review hardly provides any FACTS. It's clear that the reviewer hates the watch - but it's hard to tell WHY. If it's only because of the way GMT hand works - that's just down right silly. You can have this watch for $45 delivered (if you contact the seller directly instead of going through ebay). If the ONLY flaw it has is that the GMT hand does not snap in 30 min intervals - then I guess this guy has somewhat unreasonble expectations of a $50 watch... Oh - the buckle has links embossed on it. A terrible thing? Hmm... check out a ROLEX one of these days...

Michael

Thread Information