A little help please

Thread: A little help please

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    G-Kev

A little help please

Hey, sorry to bother you guys, but I have a question about Seikos. I only collect G's and I have 2 Citizens, but never owned a Seiko. Whats the difference between Kintetic and Auto?? Im looking at an OM or hopefully I can find a Blue Monster. Thanks for your help.

Re: A little help please

Hey Kev,

No bother its a good question. There is a big defference between the kinetic and automatic movements. The kinetic is basically a quartz watch that is powered by a rotating weight much like an auto but the weights energy is stored in a capacitor or a small rechargable lithium battery. So the kinetic energy is generated like when you move an electric motor it generates an electric charge. This charge is stored and used by the quartz movement. The quartz movement is extremely accurate within a few seconds a month.

The automatic 21 jewel 7s26 movement is very different. Watch makers have been making mechanical movements sice the 1800's and probably before. The automatic uses a counter weight that rotates. This rotation winds up the mechanical movement. In Seiko auto's there is something called the magic lever which makes them very efficient. They will wind up in either direction thhe weight moves while some other auto's will only wind in one direction. The Seiko 7s26 will not wind manually and will not hack(that is the second hand will not stop when the crown is pulled out for setting). Just move it from side to side a few times and it will start running. Also the auto's will stop running after about 40 hours or so if left off your wrist. They will fully wind after about 8 hours of use. The Kinetics ussualy will run for a month after they are charged.

There is another movement called a solar movement like the kinetic will cherge when exposed to light.

I personally like auto's more than quartz watches. It is a personal choice. It is funny because a less accurate mechanical watch will cost more than its mechanical counterparts. This is because there is much more expertise, labor, and skill needed to make a good mechanical watch. A mechanical watch can last many,many years. If it breaks it can be fixed and it never needs batteries. It will need to be serviced every 5 years or so although the Seiko autos have been rumored to run accurately for 20 years or so with no servicing.

I think the Seiko Monster is an incredible watch at any price and is definetily a great first choice into the mechanical world. Get one and you won't be dissapointed!! As for the Blue Monster it commands a hefty price. I like it and have bought one, waiting for shipping but as a first mechanical I would go with a cheaper one just to see if you like mechanical watches or not. Also Seiko's need about a month to break in. They will run fast for the first month but then should settle down. I have also heard of people opening up the case and regulating the movement to a very accurate movement equaling the COSC certified chronometers used in the Omega's.

Hope this helps,

Robzilla

G-Kev

Thanks Rob, that helps alot!! So are you saying that the OM will require wearing and NOT storing in a watch case. Like you Im sure, I have too many to wear the OM very often. Is this a bad idea? My 2 Citizens are eco-drives, so I dont worry about it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Smile Re: A little help please

Well you could always buy a watch winder in that case. I have seen them on e-bay for around $50 and that will keep your auto going. Since you have a few quartz watches then you can always just reset your OM when you have to. Some people find this anoying. I think it is up to you. I do not own a single quartz watch and I do not have a watch winder. I just reset and go. Takes like a minute. So I do not think it should hold you back.

If you just want something always working regardless than I would stick to the quartz models. Again since you have a few quartz you might just like to see what an auto is like. Worse case scenerio you don't like it and sell it on ebay for around $100 so you may lose $50 to see? I really think you will like the watch a lot and if you have to set it a few times because you alternate watches as we all do so what.

Go for it!! Hey thanks on the EMS tip.

R

G-Kev

Thanks alot pal, I go ahead and get the OM. Ill wait till we get back from the beach so Ill be here when they deliver it. Thanks alot for the advice.

In addition, I think mechanical watches have some additional appeal:

--You can open them up and tinker with them. How much you tinker depends upon how brave you are and your skills.

--Mechanical watches generally retain their value better than quartz watches.

--Some people prefer the 'sweep' of mechanical hands to the 'tick' of quartz ones for aesthetic reasons.

--They're like pets. They need you to take care of them. If you don't wear them or wind them, they let you know they've missed you.

watchnerd
    David
    Anonimo Millemetri Trilogeo #173/210
    Anonimo Millemetri 10 Anni Drass / Ox Pro #95/98
    Baume & Mercier Capeland XXL
    Muhle Glashutte Rasmus #355

Sinn U1
    Sinn U2
    Seiko Spring Drive 600m

G-Kev

Well guys,thanks for all the advice!! I bought the Orange Monster from SuperChrono and its already here!!!! Singapore to Florida in 3 days!! Amazing! :gold I love the monster!! Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by G-Kev
    Well guys,thanks for all the advice!! I bought the Orange Monster from SuperChrono and its already here!!!! Singapore to Florida in 3 days!! Amazing! :gold I love the monster!! Thanks again!!
    Hey there G-Kev. It looks like we've both been swayed away from G-Shocks and bitten by the Seiko bug (I just picked up a "sawtooth" from SuperChrono). Enjoy the OM - I may have to pick one of those up soon!

G-Kev

Hey Spice, yea, I like my G's no doubt. I've never had a Seiko, so this watch will be my first impressions. So far, I love it. Its very heavy (like my Citizen 2100) and the looks are killer!!! To me, just the sound of the rotating bezel is fantastic. You can hear quality! Ill go check out the Sawtooth, I dont know anything about it.

Hello there G-Kev

So you strayed over here huh?? well good man as a Seiko monster is a great watch and the lume is second to none. $#@!'s brighter then the sun:-D

Anyway the braceleted version is a bit tricky as it has a pin and collor system and not the standerd split pin set up, I would recommend a compantant jeweller (not Walmart) to size it for you.

I love my OM but have never bonded with the Black monster (maybe because i hate the grenish white hands and the white on black on the dial)

What 2 date languges do you have on it??

Cheers
    Leon
    P.S for future buying choices check out Born2Watch on ebay. His name is Robert perez and is based in Miami Fl. He is one of the good guys on the bay. In the 12 Seiko's I have bought from him I have had nothing but great service

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information