Modding experts.. does this kind of bezel tool help?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By jmai
  • 1 Post By sticky
  • 1 Post By ap614
  • 1 Post By ThomasH

Thread: Modding experts.. does this kind of bezel tool help?

OHL

Modding experts.. does this kind of bezel tool help?

I’m trying to find a tool that can pop the metal bezel out of cases easily without causing any damage to the case and bezel.
    I have had trouble in the past trying to remove bezels without scratching the case using a hand tool, and although my skill is a little better now, it is still risky to use the hand tool to remove bezels especially when I am modding brand new watches for others. It is also difficult to put in tape in between the case and bezel in some cases.
    Was wondering if this kind of tool in the attached photo can help in the flawless removal of bezels? Anybody have this tool at home? If this tool is no good, any suggestions for other tools I should use?
    Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

OHL
    Think there’s a few types.. any ideas which would be better?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've used that type of tool before and I didn't like it. In theory, it should be better since it's able to exert more pressure in an apparently more precise manner, but in practice, it also introduces more ways to scratch and dent your case:

- since you're able to exert more force, if the tool is not lined up perfectly, you'll put big glaring dents between your case and bezel, and more often than not, it won't line up perfectly. The issue is with the extra force, you lose precision and hand feel that only comes with regular tools. Hand tools let you feel where you're exerting force and allows you to adjust on the fly if needed.
    - the wedge blade on that tool is too thick and will likely leave a dent if you try to wedge it in the sliver of a crack between case and bezel.
    - just don't use it. I've ruined a few cases because of that damn thing.

I've tried many ways of popping bezels and always just fall back on my tried and true method: an exacto knife plus a regular case back opener.

- wedge the exacto knife blade between the case and bezel. Should be easy to do since it's a very slim blade. Be careful not too crack the blade though, exert force downward only. Wear safety glasses in case the blade snaps. Keep Spares
    - once it's wedged and stuck in there, it'll create an opening thats just wide enough to slide a regular case back opener into. Slide the tool in, remove, and keep going down the line. The gap will get wider and wider as you work the tool.

This method leaves very minimal if any scratching that will only be visible with the bezel off.

Good luck!

P.s. Seiko also makes a special bezel knife that looks like a case back opener, but with a slimmer blade to get between the case and bezel. Never tried it myself.
    OHL and jlow28 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Modding experts.. does this kind of bezel tool help?

Can’t speak from personal experience of using a bezel tool as I can’t mod to save my life. I’ve seen vids of them in action and they are pretty impressive. HOWEVER I’ve found that using some of these wonder tools isn’t all sunshine and roses since the watch has to be set up “just so” for them to work well and I end up going back to the more simple methods.
    OHL likes this.

I second the X-Acto plus case back tool method. In particular I use one of these:

Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  9.0 KB

For the SKX case I typically aim for the bottom right lug, just below the crown cutout. I avoid using the space between the lugs at the top and bottom because those edges are susceptible to rounding out. I chose this corner because the flat surface of the crown seat gives a good view of the working space made between the case and bezel. It's also not an area where the bezel spring engages the bezel so there's no interference when the case back opener finally makes its way between the two.
    OHL likes this.

Don't be mislead by the inexpensive nature of this item, but one of my favorite "bezel tools" is an inexpensive, thin, flexible plastic spoon.

Don't use a good one, find this inexpensive, flexible, thin kind, like something you can steal from work *cough* or get free at a fueling station.

I'll start by wedging the edge of the spoon near the front under the bezel, and then (grasping the spoon near the bezel, since the spoon is a piece of crap and I don't want it to break or tear) I'll work the spoon in and forward to force more of the slippery, thin, plastic under the bezel.

No scratching, no "stab hazard", no cost!

This will usually "pop" the bezel off it's "fully installed" position, and I can either take it off right there, or finish the loosening with another tool. (I have plenty of tools!)

- Thomas

OHL likes this.

OHL

Lots of great ideas here, thanks so much!

Plastic fingernail cleaning tools work as well if you have access to these. I don't know if I would order any online because some of them are thicker than others and some probably wouldn't work well, but I have some that I keep just to pry on things that I don't want to scratch.

FYI I don't know if this pictured brand would be good or not... I'm just posting it as an example. I'm not sure what brand I have...

Didnt even realize the tools in the original post exist. I've had good luck with a cheap knife I don't mind nicking + a stack of books for reinstallation.

Thread Information