I'm a newbie to the world of 'proper' timepieces, and looking to get myself a nice, respectable automatic diver.
Coming from a background of low-end "fashion" watches (I've got a few Nixon Sentry quartz watches) and smartwatches (a Garmin Fenix 5), my knowledge of automatics is fairly non-existent.
I'd like to get an automatic diver as I really like the way in which they have a tool-like appearance but can also come across quite well when worn with a suit or casually. And I'd really like to see what an automatic is like.
I've had a look at some of the popular Youtube channels such as the Urban Gentry, Just One more Watch and Teddy Baldassarre to get some ideas of what's available for my budget, and I think I may have come to a conclusion.
Potentially looking at purchasing a Seiko SKX007, but I gather these have been discontinued and have been replaced by the Seiko SRPD range (Seiko 5 Sports), so thought i'd ask a few questions here to see what the horology community thinks about my potential choice...
- SKX007 and SXK009 prices are around ~£250 (rubber strap) and ~£300 (jubilee) due to being discontinued. Are these overpriced for what the SKX offers?
- I would be replacing the strap straight away, so I assume it would be better to purchase the cheaper of the two? Unless there is a reason to get the jubilee over the rubber?
- Is the Japanese version of the SKX worth the extra price hike in comparison to the Malaysian version? (J versus K).
- The Seiko SRPD range (5 Sports) borrows a lot from the SKX, but appears to me as more of a fashion item than a diver (100m water-resist, no screw down crown). Is this worth a look?
- Are there any note-worthy alternatives with circular indices similar to the SKX in this price bracket? (I've looked at the Orient Mako 2/Ray 2 and the Citizen NY0040 but I prefer the individuality of the SKX in all honesty)
- Should I just stop getting my panties in a twist and bite the bullet on an SKX?
As it may seem, I look like I've made my mind up on this one already, but I'd like to see whether anyone has some good alternatives to the SKX as it seems to have jumped up a price category since its discontinuation and the release of the SRPD range. The alternatives I've already looked into can be bought for under £200 (Ray2, NY0040, etc) and the comparison videos I've seen are a couple of years old and pit them against the SKX as they used to be similar prices, but with the SKX now knocking on the £300 door I'm sure there are some other options that I haven't come across yet.
Any opinions or views are more than welcome, and I appreciate the time taken if you've decided to read my ramblings above!
Apologies to those that have probably seen/heard this sort of "do I buy an SKX" or "SKX alternatives" questions in the past. I just thought it may be worth bringing up due to the considerable price increase on these.