WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

My first automatic... SKX, or other?

3K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Tickstart 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie to the world of 'proper' timepieces, and looking to get myself a nice, respectable automatic diver.
Coming from a background of low-end "fashion" watches (I've got a few Nixon Sentry quartz watches) and smartwatches (a Garmin Fenix 5), my knowledge of automatics is fairly non-existent.

I'd like to get an automatic diver as I really like the way in which they have a tool-like appearance but can also come across quite well when worn with a suit or casually. And I'd really like to see what an automatic is like.
I've had a look at some of the popular Youtube channels such as the Urban Gentry, Just One more Watch and Teddy Baldassarre to get some ideas of what's available for my budget, and I think I may have come to a conclusion.

Potentially looking at purchasing a Seiko SKX007, but I gather these have been discontinued and have been replaced by the Seiko SRPD range (Seiko 5 Sports), so thought i'd ask a few questions here to see what the horology community thinks about my potential choice...

• SKX007 and SXK009 prices are around ~£250 (rubber strap) and ~£300 (jubilee) due to being discontinued. Are these overpriced for what the SKX offers?
  • I would be replacing the strap straight away, so I assume it would be better to purchase the cheaper of the two? Unless there is a reason to get the jubilee over the rubber?
  • Is the Japanese version of the SKX worth the extra price hike in comparison to the Malaysian version? (J versus K).
  • The Seiko SRPD range (5 Sports) borrows a lot from the SKX, but appears to me as more of a fashion item than a diver (100m water-resist, no screw down crown). Is this worth a look?
  • Are there any note-worthy alternatives with circular indices similar to the SKX in this price bracket? (I've looked at the Orient Mako 2/Ray 2 and the Citizen NY0040 but I prefer the individuality of the SKX in all honesty)
  • Should I just stop getting my panties in a twist and bite the bullet on an SKX? :roll:

As it may seem, I look like I've made my mind up on this one already, but I'd like to see whether anyone has some good alternatives to the SKX as it seems to have jumped up a price category since its discontinuation and the release of the SRPD range. The alternatives I've already looked into can be bought for under £200 (Ray2, NY0040, etc) and the comparison videos I've seen are a couple of years old and pit them against the SKX as they used to be similar prices, but with the SKX now knocking on the £300 door I'm sure there are some other options that I haven't come across yet.

Any opinions or views are more than welcome, and I appreciate the time taken if you've decided to read my ramblings above!
Apologies to those that have probably seen/heard this sort of "do I buy an SKX" or "SKX alternatives" questions in the past. I just thought it may be worth bringing up due to the considerable price increase on these.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Everybody has an opinion, and of course mine can be wrong. But it is the one I have...

Are the SKX overpriced at 250 pounds (with rubber)?. Yes, I think that they are a little overpriced ... around 200 pounds (220 euros) for me it would be ok.

The Seiko SRPD range are really worth a look. I've seen them in a shop and they are gorgeous. The do not have screw down crown, but do you really need it?. And I think that nowadays hacking and manual winding are both musts in an automatic watch.

I always prefer buying a watch with a metal band. Later, you can always buy a rubber strap, natos, leather, etc.

I think that if your are patient, you can find turtles for around 300 pounds. Between a SKX or a turtle for this price, I absolutely recommend the turtle.

#3 · (Edited)
First of all, free yourself from your mind slavery (decolonize your mind!^tm) and don't believe every word you hear from people online. For the 90 billionth time, it's a myth that the stock rubber strap for the SKX is bad, it's not, it's actually the best strap you'll ever find. I own several SEIKO, some of which have come with "better" more supple rubber straps. The Z 22 blows them out of the waterpark. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, there're a couple other myths out there regarding the SKX. Usually I'll made a long rant Balkan style about how much better the J-version is, but since you are a self confessed newb, I'll go ahead and tell you the truth - which is that the J verison is no better nor worse than the K-version. The japanese market doesn't even have access to the J, it's an export model. Much like, how we in Sweden can only buy Absolut vodka that's "imported", even though it's made here in Åhus, it makes no sense whatsoever. I guess it's produced, exported and then imported again, which sounds absolutely retarded but there you are. I guess it could say both exported and imported on it in that case, but then again if there's an import there's by definition an export which begs the question if it's actually the same word. Nevertheless, it's the same vodka!

The price is justified, it's the best watch not on the market (RIP). Get one now, in a few years time you'd beat yourself up why you didn't get one while they were still under $4400. I own a 007 and an 011, the 009 is boring sauce.
Don't even compare SEIKO SKX with Orient, I mean open your eyes (obviously it sounds like you've already come to this conclusion so kudos). It's literally like choosing between a beautiful woman's butt to go to town on vs stabbing a chop stick into your inner ear.

Oh, and I predict many will recommend the Turtle instead, as if it's a replacement for the SKX, or even comparable. The SRP775 etc are a completely different watch, don't be fooled. Granted, it's a great looking watch in its own right, but a chasm apart, totally non-comparable to the SKX.

#5 ·
It's literally like choosing between a beatiful womans butt to go to town on vs stabbing a chop stick into your inner ear.
True story

#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to WUS!

Gonna try to address all your questions...

SKX007 and SXK009 prices are around ~£250 (rubber strap) and ~£300 (jubilee) due to being discontinued. Are these overpriced for what the SKX offers?
It's a bit high, but I understand prices are higher in the UK anyway. Prices on eBay seem to have settled somewhat after the initial panic. Now is probably an OK time to buy.

I would be replacing the strap straight away, so I assume it would be better to purchase the cheaper of the two? Unless there is a reason to get the jubilee over the rubber?
I personally like the jubilee. I'm wearing it right now. It's VERY jangly but also very comfortable. The stock rubber is generally agreed upon to be pretty awful (EDIT: Except for Tickstart apparently... there had to be one somewhere). If you know for sure you'll be going with a 3rd party strap, get the cheaper rubber.

Is the Japanese version of the SKX worth the extra price hike in comparison to the Malaysian version? (J versus K).
No.

The Seiko SRPD range (5 Sports) borrows a lot from the SKX, but appears to me as more of a fashion item than a diver (100m water-resist, no screw down crown). Is this worth a look?
Honestly, despite all the bad things I've said about this release, for a first time buyer it's not a bad choice. If you're just looking to enter the realm of automatics to see what they're like and maybe branch out to more later, then I would not discourage you from getting a 5 Sports. The style choices means you can get something that already fits your style, and the updated movement makes it more user friendly. However, if clean utilitarian design and real dive watch credentials is important to you (as it is to me), get an SKX. You can always swap in a hacking/winding movement if the 7S26 is too annoying (like I did).

Are there any note-worthy alternatives with circular indices similar to the SKX in this price bracket? (I've looked at the Orient Mako 2/Ray 2 and the Citizen NY0040 but I prefer the individuality of the SKX in all honesty)
You named the primary competition. You might also look at the Seiko Turtle or Mini Turtle, but they'll have a higher price tag. There's also the Chinese clones from Heimdallr and the like with updated movements and sapphire crystals at half the price... which is nice if you're just buying specs. But I feel a little squicky about buying such a close imitation when I'd feel better having the real thing.

Should I just stop getting my panties in a twist and bite the bullet on an SKX?
I think everyone who appreciates watches should have one. With so much of its design being pulled almost unchanged from models going all the way back 40 years, it's practically a vintage watch you can still buy new. You get a ton of history and a well built beater with a respectable reputation for a good price. I know of guys who collect Rolex and Patek who still have and wear their SKX. it's a perfect first real watch.

Be sure to post a picture if you get one!

#6 ·
The SKX can be purchased for under the price you've quoted, but IMO, simply purchase on and see how it feels on your wrist before you make any judgement or assumptions. If you don't like it, you have a popular watch which you can easily offload onto the next.

#7 ·
I have the 009, definitely not 'boring sauce', instead it's a pleasure to look at.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

I replaced the rubber with a Miltat bracelet for about $60, very comfortable.

The reason I recommend (and bought) an SKX is because of its lineage, a true dive watch, ISO 6425 tested. The 100m seiko as well as 100m orients are not true dive watches re:ISO6425, but that may not be a concern or interest of yours.

Whether or not you require a screw down crown is your call, as is winding and hacking. If you allow your watch to wind down you still have to set the time and the date (super easy btw with the SKX). Set the time, a couple of shakes of the watch and you're off and running. The ONLY advantage to hacking is that you can set your watch to the exact time so that you can detail, in your Anal Retentive/Obsessive Compulsive Journal exactly how many seconds + or - your inexpensive entry level dive watch is running. Also be advise that many people are still upset seiko never added sapphire crystal, don't regulate the movement and, for the love of dog don't even bother to 'finish' the movement with fancy brushings etc.

Seriously the SKX007/009 is a robust, unadorned, entry level workhorse dive watch with a direct, honest lineage to its predecessors that in 20 years anyone that still has one will be glad they do.

#8 ·
All great questions for someone looking to get into the SKX line and a smart buyer for doing your due diligence up front, before going down that rabbit hole...

If you have a smaller wrist, the SKX is worth every penny IMO. It wears so small that for me it's one of the few options in auto divers that works.

The big selling point of the SKX is aftermarket IMO. The possibilities are endless, making it a fine investment over the longer term. Here's my 009 that just came back from NEWW with a Turtle Padi dial. NH36 movement and Strapcode bracelet on this one. I have approximately $500 into this SKX over time and it's worth it to me. There's not another one like it (that I know of) and I'm in love with my 009 all over again.

What divers offer you that level of customization and upgrade options? Then consider what SEIKO is charging for Prospex level pieces with 4r movements these days. You can build the auto diver of your dreams on the SKX platform.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Blue

#9 ·
I'll chime in on this. I didn't read anything else in the thread so I'm not influenced by any other answers.

SKX007 and SXK009 prices are around ~£250 (rubber strap) and ~£300 (jubilee) due to being discontinued. Are these overpriced for what the SKX offers?

More than they used to be, yes. Too much for your first automatic and what it offers, I don't think so. I also came from a background of Nixon's (Super Rover SS, Newton Digital, Rotolog) and when it was time for my first automatic I went with the SKX007J1 and never regretted it. I have since got more expensive pieces in my collection (I blame the SKX for starting that) but the SKX is still worn on a regular basis.

I would be replacing the strap straight away, so I assume it would be better to purchase the cheaper of the two? Unless there is a reason to get the jubilee over the rubber?

I went with the rubber. It felt fine when I first got it but I ended up buy a bunch of Nato's which I preferred so I've always stuck with them. If you're going to switch to something like Nato's I'd say get the bracelet - that way you can put it back on the bracelet to dress the watch up but the Nato's will work perfect for the other things that the rubber is good for like swimming, etc. I do want to get an SKX009 on the jubilee to add to my collection.

Is the Japanese version of the SKX worth the extra price hike in comparison to the Malaysian version? (J versus K).

That's up for debate. I personally like the extra line of text on the dial (21 Jewels) and appreciate that they seem to fetch more if you resell so for me yes. Others would argue, no, just buy the cheapest one you can find. It's really up to you if you think the extra money is worth it. Is it a better watch, I'd say no.

The Seiko SRPD range (5 Sports) borrows a lot from the SKX, but appears to me as more of a fashion item than a diver (100m water-resist, no screw down crown). Is this worth a look?

In your case, I'd say no. You've already referred to it as a fashion item, your Nixon already has 100m of water resistance and a push/pull crown. If you're going to look for a better performing watch in that regard I would say go with the classic ISO diver, the SKX.

Are there any note-worthy alternatives with circular indices similar to the SKX in this price bracket? (I've looked at the Orient Mako 2/Ray 2 and the Citizen NY0040 but I prefer the individuality of the SKX in all honesty)
Should I just stop getting my panties in a twist and bite the bullet on an SKX?

No and Yes. :-d

#10 · (Edited)
Just get what you like. Online forums and videos are just starting points. For someone new to mechanical watches, it's better to go to a store and touch/feel the watches and try them on. What someone says is "great" on YouTube may not look or feel so good on your wrist. Jewlery and watch stores can answer questions. Just tell them you're shopping for a gift and not purchasing that day...they won't mind.

While you're at the store, checkout other brands. We like Seikos here but many of us wear other brands too.

#11 ·
I would definitely recommend that you get an skx . I have a 007 and 009 and have not found another watch that I like better than my skx. I would go with the jubilee bracelet which is very comfortable and I would also go with the K version as I personally think that the dial looks better without the extra text. I have mine on a strapcode super oyster and strapcode super jubilee and the mod possibilities are endless. Good luck

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
If you’re in the market for an everyman’s dive watch, the Seiko SKX007 is a legend. It’s the default answer, the null hypothesis, and the way to go. Horological history, classic styling, epic lume, solid workhorse movement for years of use and abuse. An actual dive watch. You know you want it. Just do it.

#19 ·
  • SKX007 and SXK009 prices are around ~£250 (rubber strap) and ~£300 (jubilee) due to being discontinued. Are these overpriced for what the SKX offers?
  • I would be replacing the strap straight away, so I assume it would be better to purchase the cheaper of the two? Unless there is a reason to get the jubilee over the rubber?
  • Is the Japanese version of the SKX worth the extra price hike in comparison to the Malaysian version? (J versus K).
  • The Seiko SRPD range (5 Sports) borrows a lot from the SKX, but appears to me as more of a fashion item than a diver (100m water-resist, no screw down crown). Is this worth a look?
  • Are there any note-worthy alternatives with circular indices similar to the SKX in this price bracket? (I've looked at the Orient Mako 2/Ray 2 and the Citizen NY0040 but I prefer the individuality of the SKX in all honesty)
  • Should I just stop getting my panties in a twist and bite the bullet on an SKX?
1. Yes they are overpriced. The watch was overpriced for what it was even before recent price increases. The SKX is a good watch but one of the most overrated watches of all time.
2. If you know you are replacing the strap it does make sense to get the cheaper of the two. The jubilee is a cheap bracelet. The only reason to get it is if you like the look of it.
3. No. Not unless you want bragging rights. They both can have the same qc issues.
4. It is but I would wait until prices go down. 100m water resistance is more than 99.9% of people need. It has also been my experience that Seiko can be trusted with water resistance ratings. A screw down crown does not increase water resistance. It only makes it harder for a complete idiot to pull their crown out when they are underwater.
5. Orient. Individuality? If you are really worried about that then why not an Orient over a Seiko?
6. That is up to you.

Like most dive watches the SKX is relatively fragile. The crystal is Hardlex which in my experience gets scratched up just as easy as mineral glass. The bezel insert is also easily scratched up being a cheap aluminum insert. The dial is very cheap. Take a real close look at it versus the Orients you named.

Someone mentioned Chinese homages of the SKX. Frankly that is what I would suggest also since you would be getting a more modern Seiko movement. Or just get a Prospex diver for just a little more. At least you get a newer movement and a dial that isn't cheap looking.

#20 ·
lol, I've never been able to scratch an SKX bezel insert. It's very high quality indeed. SKX overrated, overpriced? =D you're starting to sound like me with all that hyperbole

Just take a look around you. SKXs everywhere. Why? Because they're the bargain of the century. I'm still not selling mine for less than $6.6m

#23 ·
You must be very easy on watches. Compared to a watch with a sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel a SKX is a very fragile watch with a very outdated movement. Considering current prices it seems absolutely foolish not to steer a new buyer towards a Prospex diver instead of the SKX.

Look at current SKX prices and tell me if you still think it is the bargain of the century.

$235 vs $257. I just checked the bay and the cheapest new SKX007 was $235. The cheapest new SRP777 was $257. So for $22 you get a dial that looks much better plus a movement upgrade among other things. Seems like an absolute no brainer.

#27 ·
I wouldn't buy an SKX at this time. Maybe only to complete a collection (it is a legend afterall) but not for daily use. I'd say go for a Samurai or Turtle. They are quite affordable Prospex Dive watches, Turtle is the successor to SKX . (New Seiko5s are SKX look alike fashion watches).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.