My first (mechanical) Seiko! SPB077
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: My first (mechanical) Seiko! SPB077

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My first (mechanical) Seiko! SPB077

It's been a LOOONG time coming, but I am finally the proud new owner of a mechanical Seiko. I have a quartz Kinetic Seiko dive watch that doesn't seem to like to hold a charge, and I do not wear, but that is another topic (hence my 'mechanical' caveat).

Co-worker who is also a watch nerd bought the blue bezel one while in Taiwan, and on my last trip there, I did the same at the same shop with the same salesman, but in black. The price was below anything I have seen in the US/online in the US, so it was too good to pass up. Also, the Ball listed in my signature was my 'travel/beater' watch, but I no longer like it and it will be sold/traded and this Seiko will take its place. I don't need the GMT feature, I know when I am in Asia everyone at home is asleep when I am awake

First impressions are excellent. I was initially a 'little' let down by the very fine points of fit and finish (mainly the bracelet)...until I realized I was comparing it to my Explorer which costs an order of magnitude more and cannot be a comparison. For what I paid (or even full MSRP), this is a fantastic watch and is silly-cheap considering what you are getting. It fits me very well, is very comfortable, and just looks great. Hard to explain, but it just 'pops' every time I look at it (more than the honeymoon phase, been in this hobby long enough to know what I like, dislike). And the icing on the cake is the fact it is Made in Japan (though not sure if the bracelet comes from outside) and has a great in-house movement (I know all Seikos do, but still...)

QUESTION - what OEM rubber strap option(s) are there? I'd like to pick up a black one to try.

Thanks, and look forward to most posting, questions here!

Name:  i-SJkP4gc-X3.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  208.7 KB
    JLC Master Control Automatic :: Rolex Explorer I :: Dornblueth & Sohn Calibre 99.1 :: Omega Speedmaster Professional :: Seiko SPB077 :: Ball for BMW GMT :: Archimede Pilot

Congrats on the seiko mechanical. I know the feeling. Half of my watches are Seiko or family of seiko brands. Seikos reputation is excellent. Can't go wrong.

Your watch looks great. Hour markers are nice. The hands are beautiful. Well proportioned overall size. Bracelet looks durable and well suited to the overall watch.

Mich
    arogle1stus likes this.
    Mich

It's not HOW MUCH YOU SPEND on time,,, It's HOW YOU SPEND your time that matters.

Re: My first (mechanical) Seiko! SPB077

Spb077 is my second seiko mechanical.i love it.thinking of putting it on uncle seiko waffle strap.

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koristeći Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by canonken View Post
    It's been a LOOONG time coming, but I am finally the proud new owner of a mechanical Seiko. I have a quartz Kinetic Seiko dive watch that doesn't seem to like to hold a charge, and I do not wear, but that is another topic (hence my 'mechanical' caveat).

Co-worker who is also a watch nerd bought the blue bezel one while in Taiwan, and on my last trip there, I did the same at the same shop with the same salesman, but in black. The price was below anything I have seen in the US/online in the US, so it was too good to pass up. Also, the Ball listed in my signature was my 'travel/beater' watch, but I no longer like it and it will be sold/traded and this Seiko will take its place. I don't need the GMT feature, I know when I am in Asia everyone at home is asleep when I am awake

First impressions are excellent. I was initially a 'little' let down by the very fine points of fit and finish (mainly the bracelet)...until I realized I was comparing it to my Explorer which costs an order of magnitude more and cannot be a comparison. For what I paid (or even full MSRP), this is a fantastic watch and is silly-cheap considering what you are getting. It fits me very well, is very comfortable, and just looks great. Hard to explain, but it just 'pops' every time I look at it (more than the honeymoon phase, been in this hobby long enough to know what I like, dislike). And the icing on the cake is the fact it is Made in Japan (though not sure if the bracelet comes from outside) and has a great in-house movement (I know all Seikos do, but still...)

QUESTION - what OEM rubber strap option(s) are there? I'd like to pick up a black one to try.

Thanks, and look forward to most posting, questions here!

Name:  i-SJkP4gc-X3.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  208.7 KB
    Great one! Wear it in good health.
    What price did you pay and how much was the SPB079 if I may ask?

As for strap options: I like the Seiko OEM one best, Uncleseiko Wafflestrap is second best IMHO.

Cheers
    WeirdGuy likes this.

canonken:
    Ain't mechanical Seikos the cat's meow?
    I have 4 of em. Are they consistently as
    accurate as quartz? Jury out on that one!

I didn't buy a Seiko auto or hand cranker
    for accuracy. I bought em cuz they are so
    bad arse.

X Traindriver Art

arogle1stus: Hahahaha

Congratulations on the watch. Might I suggest you try 3rd party rubber first to see if it looks good on the watch and you like it.

You definitely picked a good one for your first automatic watch. My 063 says hello. Enjoy!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  565.6 KB
    FTPOSMMS

Banned

Congrats

Thanks all!

I'm picky about watches, and there are so many things that bother me about various pieces. The more I look at this model, the more I appreciate how well thought out and executed it is. For example, the texture of the dial, the length of the hands, the size/spacing of the hour markers, the overall proportions, etc. all work well together as a unified whole vs. random elements thrown together. I think it would be easy to look at this watch and dismiss it as being simple, but someone really sweated the overall execution. So often I see a nice watch where they did something 'stupid' and ruined it for no good reason.

Appreciate the suggestions for trying a third party rubber strap, but what is the OEM Seiko model so I have a reference point?
    draperfish likes this.
    JLC Master Control Automatic :: Rolex Explorer I :: Dornblueth & Sohn Calibre 99.1 :: Omega Speedmaster Professional :: Seiko SPB077 :: Ball for BMW GMT :: Archimede Pilot

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information