My Landmaster and I

17K views 60 replies 38 participants last post by  abraxas 
#1 ·
Today I made a good friend....

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
WOW!!!! Totally Awesome!!!!

A huge congrats on that BAD BOY:-!:p:-!:p

These are the first real photos I've seen....wickedly cool...I love it!

IMO Seiko did a great job on the SD LandMaster. Everything about that watch is killer...... especially the case!

Thanks for posting that beautiful SDLM:-!

More photos would be much appreciated;-)

Cheers
Shannon

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. There are a thousand things I could write, but first some stats, one more photo, and then more wearing.

Watch Tanaka spread * Seiko's product page

The model is SBDB003, introduced about a year ago, and is the second Prospex Spring Drive after the well-liked SBDB001 MM600 diver. The 5R66 movement is a so-called "true" GMT with three day's reserve and power indicator. List price is 577,500 Yen. It's titanium (note the uni-body design) and much lighter than its size suggests: officially 173 grams, but I've yet to weigh it for myself with two links removed. By my own measurements, the watch is 16mm tall, 44.5mm in diameter (and wears narrower because of the 4 o'clock crown), and 53mm long lug to lug.

The compass bezel is non-ratcheted and bidirectional- and glides with a precision feeling. The sapphire must be flat, the crown is screw down, the water resistance is 20 bar, and the 22mm bracelet - tapers to 18mm - is similar - or the same - as other Prospex divers and includes the extension feature. Notice the watch keeps the neat bezel retainer lug feature from the MM600- but with a critical difference! The 'slot pieces' next to the nut are attached to the body! Were you to remove the bracelet, there'd be no voids; rather you'd have a somewhat retro set of hooded (and drilled) lugs to conceivably mount any number of straps without looking too awkward.

#18 ·
Thanks everyone. There are a thousand things I could write, but first some stats, one more photo, and then more wearing.

Watch Tanaka spread * Seiko's product page

The model is SBDB003, introduced about a year ago, and is the second Prospex Spring Drive after the well-liked SBDB001 MM600 diver. The 5R66 movement is a so-called "true" GMT with three day's reserve and power indicator. List price is 577,500 Yen. It's titanium (note the uni-body design) and much lighter than its size suggests: officially 173 grams, but I've yet to weigh it for myself with two links removed. By my own measurements, the watch is 16mm tall, 44.5mm in diameter (and wears narrower because of the 4 o'clock crown), and 53mm long lug to lug.

The compass bezel is non-ratcheted and bidirectional- and glides with a precision feeling. The sapphire must be flat, the crown is screw down, the water resistance is 20 bar, and the 22mm bracelet - tapers to 18mm - is similar - or the same - as other Prospex divers and includes the extension feature. Notice the watch keeps the neat bezel retainer lug feature from the MM600- but with a critical difference! The 'slot pieces' next to the nut are attached to the body! Were you to remove the bracelet, there'd be no voids; rather you'd have a somewhat retro set of hooded (and drilled) lugs to conceivably mount any number of straps without looking too awkward.

That is so freaking sexy! It's hard not to drool over it!:p:-d

#11 · (Edited)
I'm a fan of canvas style straps and tonight realized I had a 22mm Timefactors Rhino 2-piece sitting idle...

#12 · (Edited)
It took me 20 minutes or less to remember I really don't like that Rhino. Fortunately I had another option or two to try.

The lug geometry accommodates a thinner canvas strap like this one easily. Even using the stock Seiko springbars, the strap slides through the gap without protest.

It seems a pity to cover that great engraving....

Not bad! |>

But don't you dare try and tell me this combo isn't rocking:

#15 ·
That's a real looker a-Tom-ic, congrats and thanks for all the pics. Maybe you could even try some nice rubber strap and post pics of that. :-d
I like the red GMT hand, unlike white on the diver. It goes nicely with the last strap.
Oh, does anyone know what are the "blood", "nationality", birthday" for? You can have that engraved on the back above those markings or what's the purpose?

#16 ·
Thanks! I agree, I somewhat prefer this model's red GMT hand to the SBDB001's white, but I can see an argument for either color.

Yes, the idea is you could have the back engraved and the manual gives the impression that the Seiko retailer you bought watch from can handle the engraving- perhaps by sending it to Seiko themselves. The information could be useful if you were injured while out on an expedition, not completely unlike a medical ID bracelet.

#19 ·
Whoa! That is one awesome piece of high tech machinery there. May it serve you well, for many, many years. Fantastic pics as well! |>|>

#26 ·
awesome looking watch, congrats :-! in my opinion it looks best on the metal bracelet.

pardon my ignorance but how is the case opened?

cheers

#28 · (Edited)
One week has elapsed and there's still a bounce in my step. Thank you visitors and participants of the thread and heck- a big thank you to Seiko, too! :-!

After seven days the watch is within half a second of time.gov. The 5R66 is obviously going to be sufficiently accurate as to require a whole month or more until a useful 'naked eye' accuracy report is possible.

Another observation yet to make is how quickly and when exactly the date changes. I'm usually not up that late. :) But I'll endure the late-night talk shows and light a candle in the interest of science.

On the subject of case construction (Cal 45), first Seiko's diagram:

There is no screw-on case back. Maybe it isn't accurate to refer to the watch as "uni body" after all - assuming that term as it applies to watches does in fact have a standard meaning. But you can plainly see the rear of the watch head is a single piece of handsome titanium. To access the movement, one would first remove the two bezel retaining clip screws at 12 and 6 o'clock- a feature inherited from the Spring Drive Marine Master. Then the bezel is presumably able to lift up and off. Underneath the bezel are 4 screws securing a frame to the rear.

More NATO straps came in yesterday. The classic black looks good but the gray is the best yet. Maybe that's because its low contrast to the Ti body softens the transition from 'hulk of metal' to 'strip of fabric'. :think: But I agree with above that the bracelet looks better. Good enough for an impromptu cell phone shot, in fact!

And one more silly picture! What an excellent coincidence that, during the summer, my 24 hour hand - set to GMT - points straight up at "quittin' time". |>

#29 ·
thanks a-tom-ic for that detailed explanation. wow, what an effort of craftsmanship was put into the design of that watch. i think this is one time-piece that lasts forever and will stay a lifetime with you. wear it proudly and in great health :-!

cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.