My Seiko 5 always seem to stuck after some Minutes/Hours at the same time

Thread: My Seiko 5 always seem to stuck after some Minutes/Hours at the same time

My Seiko 5 always seem to stuck after some Minutes/Hours at the same time

Hi, new to the forum, so I wasn't sure where to post this.

I have a Seiko 5 SNZG17J1 (Made in Japan) with a 7S36B movement, that always seems to be stuck with the sec at around the "5" after a couple minutes/hours (every time around the same position). It will continue with a little mechanical help (shaking, changing time, etc.) but it will always be stuck after max 2h when laying down (even full winded). As I read a service will cost me around 100$ or more, so pretty much the cost of the watch itself. I got it used over ebay, so no gurantee and I only noticed this issue weeks later.

So is there for me any possibility for a easy fix, is this a known issue?

Name:  2013-08-03 20.40.01.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  238.8 KB
    This is pretty much always the position it will get stuck

Banned

Re: My Seiko 5 always seem to stuck after some Minutes/Hours at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by for3st View Post
    Hi, new to the forum, so I wasn't sure where to post this.

I have a Seiko 5 SNZG17J1 (Made in Japan) with a 7S36B movement, that always seems to be stuck with the sec at around the "5" after a couple minutes/hours (every time around the same position). It will continue with a little mechanical help (shaking, changing time, etc.) but it will always be stuck after max 2h when laying down (even full winded). As I read a service will cost me around 100$ or more, so pretty much the cost of the watch itself. I got it used over ebay, so no gurantee and I only noticed this issue weeks later.

So is there for me any possibility for a easy fix, is this a known issue?

Name:  2013-08-03 20.40.01.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  238.8 KB
    This is pretty much always the position it will get stuck

http://s13543.prbrds.com/5353543/i/t...xGQmnE3UCL.gif to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your issues with the watch. This is definitely not normal and indicates a problem with the movement. The fix could be as simple as a bit of dirt or something more major but either way it will cost to have it opened up and rectified.
    The watch is old enough that it may need a service.
    The 7s36 movement is readily available and would ultimately cost a lot less than a full service of the existing one. New movements should be available for around $50; then add the labour to swap it in and you could still be looking at over $100 to get it back running.

Not sure what you paid for the watch but at an additional $100+ dollars to fix this one; you may want to consider buying a new watch that will have full warranty. The newer models come with the 4r36 hacking/handwinding automatic movement; a couple of handy features. Or find another pre-owned one for a lot less than a new one.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

For the 4r36 version you probably mean this? 4R36 Seiko 5 Military – SRP275K | Yeoman's Watch Review

I paid about 130$/100€ so I probably check my local watchmaker. Do you think it's possible to "upgrade" this with a 4r36?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by for3st View Post
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

For the 4r36 version you probably mean this? 4R36 Seiko 5 Military – SRP275K | Yeoman's Watch Review

I paid about 130$/100€ so I probably check my local watchmaker. Do you think it's possible to "upgrade" this with a 4r36?
    Yes but there will be some issues with adjusting the crown and stem; the stems are different and I don't know if they are at the same height in both movements. Ask your watchmaker.

Thread Information