New arrival - Snowflake!!! (SBGA211)
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By canonken

Thread: New arrival - Snowflake!!! (SBGA211)

New arrival - Snowflake!!! (SBGA211)

Cross post from public, but wanted to post here.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/new...1-4986681.html

Very excited to finally add a Spring Drive to my collection (and of course a Grand Seiko). Think I got lucky one happened to be in stock at the local AD (not sure how scarce they are, I know they are very popular, but not sure *how* popular).

Few questions I have initially:
    --Anything I should know about the watch, like any quirks with the titanium case, or with Spring Drive movements?
    --The manual says it needs service every 3-4 years, which seems very short. Thoughts on this?
    --72 hour power reserve - with the Spring Drive movement, does it go from running at 100% to stopping almost instantly (I imagine this is the case with the watch needing a given amount of power to run). Do you get a legit 72 hours, or is it less (or more) in practice?

Thanks, and excited to finally have a GS on my wrist! The second hand is hypnotic
    Rolex Explorer I :: Dornblueth & Sohn Calibre 99.1 :: Grand Seiko SBGA211 'Snowflake' :: Omega Speedmaster Professional :: Seiko SPB077 :: Archimede Pilot

Re: New arrival - Snowflake!!! (SBGA211)

Colour me envious.

The titanium is grade 5 titanium so its very hard and resilient, but not scratch proof. The 9r springdrive movements self regulate time so it will be about 5 seconds a month precise for years and years until you service. Unlike automatics, it will not become inaccurate to indicate servicing. Many have daily wearers with this caliber go 10 years before a service. I have one with this movement that went 14 years without a servicing and when i finally serviced it, Seiko told me it looked xcellent prior to servicing it, with no problems at all. As for power reserve, just wear it every few days and it will be fine. The power reserve indicator is pretty accurate. These movements charge up quickly on wrist so wear it when you run errands or housework because youll move your arms more during those activities.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats. Here's a link to the Grand Seiko section of the forum in case you want to post questions there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanker G1 View Post
    Congrats. Here's a link to the Grand Seiko section of the forum in case you want to post questions there as well.
    Whoops, didn't see that, thanks!

I'm glad I won't have to mix with the standard 'Seiko' riff-raff going forward! KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!
    clyde_frog and sticky like this.
    Rolex Explorer I :: Dornblueth & Sohn Calibre 99.1 :: Grand Seiko SBGA211 'Snowflake' :: Omega Speedmaster Professional :: Seiko SPB077 :: Archimede Pilot

My Snowflake gets slightly more than 72 hours on a full wind, perhaps an extra hour or so.
    You really can't go wrong choosing the SBGA211, plus it matches well with your dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch19 View Post
    My Snowflake gets slightly more than 72 hours on a full wind, perhaps an extra hour or so.
    You really can't go wrong choosing the SBGA211, plus it matches well with your dog.
    Pardon me sir, but that is my fox!

Name:  Arctic-Foxes-2.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  74.1 KB

Grats on the springdrive and a classic!

The smooth second hand is just mesmerizing with the spring drive..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it was distracting at my desk today!

Thread Information