New Seiko NH15 movement only running for 24 hours?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sirgilbert357

Thread: New Seiko NH15 movement only running for 24 hours?

Question New Seiko NH15 movement only running for 24 hours?

Hi, I picked up an MWC diver recently. The reason I'm posting in the Seiko section is it runs an NH15 automatic Seiko movement and I'd like some advice on it from you knowledgeable lot! Because I believe I have a problem but I could be wrong. Here's the watch:

MWC Watches

Now I wind it up fully, I've tried doing this manually and by gently swaying the watch back and forth for a good couple of minutes and feeling the rotor turn with each swing. However, the damn thing will only run for 24 to 28 hours. It's brand new (well about 2 weeks old). Do they need 'bedding in'? Should I just be patient or is it under-performing from the off?

I've tested it against other auto movements like an ancient (1970) 17 jewel Seiko I have and a Citizen diver with a Miyota movement and both keep running long after the new NH15 has stopped. What's going on?! Thanks :)

Re: New Seiko NH15 movement only running for 24 hours?

From testing again I'd say it's running to about 30 hours max when fully wound - is this normal for an NH15?

Most automatic movements I'm used to like the Miyota in my Ti Citizen diver or any of the ETA 2824s in other watches will run for around 40 hours before stopping.

Do automatic movements have a 'running in' period when they loosen up a bit from new?

There IS a sort of break in with autos...usually the seconds per day will be what settles in though. For instance, my Seiko SKX171 was +1 sec per day when I first got it and it eventually settled in to -6 per day. Then something happened (I still don't know what) and it started running -15 sec per day. So I had it regulated. Anyway, the power reserve has always been over 40 hours since I got it. The power reserve should be a pretty consistent thing from a full wind. I actually tested mine multiple times, so I don't know what's going on with yours. If you can send it back, I would. Just try another one...
    iamsupersam likes this.
    WPAC Member #35.
    "No Desire to Acquire!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks sirgilbert, I do have the option to return it so think I will. I'll do it and then test the replacement and report back.

Ha! MWC replaced it, just got the new one back and tested the power reserve when fully wound. Nearly 45 hours! Outstanding - and definitely something wrong with the one it replaced. All's well and all that :)

Quote Originally Posted by sirgilbert357 View Post
    There IS a sort of break in with autos...usually the seconds per day will be what settles in though. For instance, my Seiko SKX171 was +1 sec per day when I first got it and it eventually settled in to -6 per day. Then something happened (I still don't know what) and it started running -15 sec per day. So I had it regulated. Anyway, the power reserve has always been over 40 hours since I got it. The power reserve should be a pretty consistent thing from a full wind. I actually tested mine multiple times, so I don't know what's going on with yours. If you can send it back, I would. Just try another one...
    Last edited by general_piffle; November 16th, 2012 at 22:52.

Do you mean NE15? I'm not aware of any NH15.
    Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

No I do mean the NH15 it's a Seiko 21 jewel automatic movement that can also be wound by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake B View Post

are you sure its 21 jewels, ? the NH15 sounds like the SII version of the 6R15 which is 23jewels (some newer versions are 24),

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
    Jake, the NH15 is a smaller calibre at only 10 1/2'''(23.25mm). I believe it may be used in smaller to midsize watches.
    The standard full size Seiko calibres are mostly 13'''(27mm).

And yes, the NE15 is the same movement as the 6r15.

Edit: For those interested; the full TMI/SII lineup can be seen here ... http://www.timemodule.com/sii/eng/index.php
    Last edited by Pawl_Buster; November 17th, 2012 at 20:20.

Thread Information