new SRP513 gaining 100 secs/day -- needs regulation, or something worse wrong?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: new SRP513 gaining 100 secs/day -- needs regulation, or something worse wrong?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new SRP513 gaining 100 secs/day -- needs regulation, or something worse wrong?

After an old quartz watch I was wearing finally gave up the ghost, I bought a new SRP513K1 from seiko3s at Rakuten. The transaction went smoothly, and I like the watch -- everything is nicely aligned, fit and finish are nice.

However, I received it two days ago, and in those two days it has gained about 100 seconds per day.

Based on what I've read here, I could return it to seiko3s -- they seem to be good about that sort of thing. However, rather than be without a watch for three weeks, I was thinking about taking it to have it regulated, or maybe doing it myself (I'm an engineer, which just means I break things with higher confidence than I would if I were a literature major).

My concern though, is whether the watch being so far out of spec might mean that there's something worse wrong with it than simply needing regulation? If you have experience with this family of movements (4R36 and related movements), please comment.

Re: new SRP513 gaining 100 secs/day -- needs regulation, or something worse wrong?

A watch should never ship that is out of spec so if your variance was within that spec regulation should put things right. A variance outside the spec MAY be a sign that something is wrong and would cause me to send it back.

Re: new SRP513 gaining 100 secs/day -- needs regulation, or something worse wrong?

Well, I think I might take your advice. Regulating it myself seems like a fun project, but I'm not ready to take on any issues that aren't as simple as moving the regulator bar.

I've sent them email; I'll report on what I hear back.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

JR1

i'd send ot back. if you screw it up, make it worse or accidentally break sonething you'd miss your chance for a return.

It could be slightly magnetized. I've had that happen to a couple of automatic watches. If you have a watchmaker nearby they should be able to put it on a demagnetizer. You'll know in a couple of hours if that did the trick.

I just heard back from seiko3s -- they asked me to return the watch to be exchanged, and they will pay shipping by Paypal. They were very polite. Off it goes tomorrow.
    domoon likes this.

I had a 7s26c based watch that ran way fast when I received it. Banged it a couple times on side and that was the end of it.

(The end of running fast, not the end of the watch. ;) )

Quote Originally Posted by hantms View Post
    I had a 7s26c based watch that ran way fast when I received it. Banged it a couple times on side and that was the end of it.

(The end of running fast, not the end of the watch. ;) )
    I'm glad you were successful! Sometimes when I bang things on the side they end up running faster. You know, like with horses. Cars, not so much.

I sent the watch back today. Cheapest option I could find for postage from the U.S. to Osaka that wasn't the slow boat was "Priority Mail" and it cost around $50 with insurance, which is pretty painful for a watch for which I paid $140.
    domoon likes this.

So, just an update. I got mail back from seiko3s last night saying they'd received the watch, and they credited my Paypal account for the full shipping charges. They said (if I understood the message correctly) that they will send me an update today (which means tonight because they are on the other side of the world).

So far, this seems like a pretty good customer service experience.
    subterfuge and domoon like this.

...and, another update. I hope these posts are useful to people who might be considering going through this sort of thing themselves! Not having heard back in a week, I sent mail to seiko3s yesterday. Although I'd originally requested an exchange and they had appeared to respond positively, subsequent email referred to repairs. I'm okay with that, because I figure that repair involves regulation, and having the watch regulated would probably result in better timekeeping than another new watch. However, when I followed up I received email asking me to wait another two weeks. So, no watch yet, and it's taking a while... still, communication is quick, informative and polite, and they did refund my shipping costs already, so as long as I do get a watch that works within spec sometime in April, I think they still seem like a good vendor who I would recommend to others... but I'll have to wait for the watch to come back to know for sure.
    domoon likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information