Not much love for SKX011?
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Not much love for SKX011?

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Not much love for SKX011?

Hi everyone,
    I've got an SKX011J on the rubber strap in the pipeline. I've noticed though that there's a disproportionate amount of love for the 007, followed by the 009, whereas there's barely any talk about the 011 among WIS. It seems that most complaints are about the gold hands and bezel, but I actually dig it (though I've yet to see it in person). Is there any other compelling reason why it's so underappreciated, despite the fact that the opposite phenomenon holds true with Monsters - the similarly colored OM is discussed incessantly, whereas the black version gets less. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: Not much love for SKX011?

I don't like the hands and the bezel. orange dial is great, but had the hands been outlined with black instead of gold and the bezel been simply black and white instead black and orange, then I would have been all over it

edit: yeah, I'm sure I can mod it to look the way I want it to, but I hate having to source obscure items... especially the hands. the regular skx hands are white and silver, not black and white
    Last edited by G-Junkie; March 6th, 2011 at 18:21.

I like the SKX011J, but I agree with the OP that it doesn't get a whole lot of discussion. I am guessing that it's to do with what G-Junkie mentioned: the gold hands and bezel. I'll bet that if they had the same model but with silver replacing the gold, it would be much more popular. Gold seems to polarize folks, whereas silver is much more neutral. It's definitely a watch I have considered in the past, but having never seen the watch in real life, I'm not sure if the gold hands and orange dial quite work together or not.
    TheFavorista likes this.
    Cheers,
    Greg

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i'm fine with gold and black, i'm fine with silver and black. but gold and orange doesn't seem right to me, not even silver and orange.

I'd like a lot more contrast between the dial and the hands for legibility purposes. look at the orange monster or orange knight and you'll see that the hands are outlined with black, not gold or silver. style and fashion doe have a some part in it, but for me, it's mainly legibility

I love the way Seiko does orange.
    So far I have an orange knight. I've got the orange monster and 011 on the radar screen. I can wear the others right out of the box but the 011 would have to be modded with black hands and 007 bezel. Add to that the fact that I typically see the 011 selling for considerably more than the 007 and it keeps slipping to the bottom of my list.

By the way, the orange knight black hands will work fine on the 011.

This was my 011. The thinking woman's 007.

Nicely modded with black but "out of the box" gold works for me too.

Just a thought, aside from the aesthetic issues already mentioned, the OM itself may be partly to blame. Some people may only have the desire for one orange dialed Seiko diver in their collection, and the OM may be the more obvious choice given its iconic status as well as cheaper price.

Agree. When you think orange, the orange monster easily comes to mind

I've seen 011s on the sales post and I like it
    GW-200Z
    G-9000MS MIRB
    DW-5600MS MIRB
    Victorinox Classic Chrono Ti
    SEIKO 6309s
    SEIKO OM
    SS ECOZILLA
    SEIKO TUNA 7549-7010
    SEIKO TUNA SBBN007

My Orange Ti Samurai says you can keep your Monsters. ;)
    atarione likes this.

I'm not trying to hijack this but since many who have modified this watch may be reading this, I have a question. I too have always wanted this watch but with black/silver bezel and black/white stock SKX007 hands. As I pursued this idea sometime ago I had a question that I never got a firm answer to. Question: Does the lume on stock SKX007 hands match the lume on the SKX011 dial? It seems to in pictures but I've never seen the SKX011 in the wild to compare with the 007. Can someone answer this for me?

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information