Pin and Collar differences (Turtle vs. Samurai)
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sticky
  • 1 Post By Time4Playnow

Thread: Pin and Collar differences (Turtle vs. Samurai)

Pin and Collar differences (Turtle vs. Samurai)

I recently picked up a PADI Turtle and Orange Samurai (Samurai arrived today). I had heard that Seiko uses a pin and collar for their bracelets instead of just a friction pin. I watched a video on how to size the bracelet and while a bit tedious the Turtle was exactly how it was described in the video I watched. Collar goes in one end and the pin has a nub and is reinserted from the other end. The collar on the Samurai was different, it is inserted into the inner portion of the bracelet link then the links are put together and the pin reinserted (no nub, pin is the same on both ends.). This threw me for a bit but I actually like this method better. It keeps the collar from falling out and it's easier to put the bracelet back together.

Are there any other methods for Seikos I should be aware of?

Re: Pin and Collar differences (Turtle vs. Samurai)

The only differences I've noticed was the seating hole for the collar. My first experience was with my SARB033 surveyed intent to do my PADI Turtle the difference stymied me for a few minutes.

Now when I do my Seikos I pay extra attention to where everything falls out from.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

The same techniques are used. With the “ended” pin it’s obviously important to note the side you take it out of/put it in.
    Time4Playnow likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    The same techniques are used. With the “ended” pin it’s obviously important to note the side you take it out of/put it in.
    This

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Same general concept yes but I think the Samurai bracelet implementation is superior. Dropping the collar into the inner hole of the link keeps it from falling out or having to use two tools on either end of the pin to force the pin into the collar as on the Turtle.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Yes!! It is VERY important to put it back the proper way!!

I purchased a pre-loved Orient Saturation Diver recently. It was in mint condition, but I had to add a link or two to the bracelet. It uses the same type of pin and collar setup as the Seiko Monster and Turtle. (Collar fits at one end of the link) Before I sized anything, I looked at it closely under magnification. Turned out, one link on each side of the watch had the collar put in on the WRONG side of the link! I thought, no problem, I'll just take it out and reverse it. WRONG! I could not get that pin out for ANYthing. Got it out partway, but getting it out the rest of the way was a no-go. So I put it back in (the wrong way) gently, and sized the watch using other links.

Queried the seller about it. He said he was afraid to size the watch himself when he bought it, so he took it to one of those mall kiosks. Ha! Mystery solved.

Lesson learned. If those collars are not re-inserted properly, you may never be able to get that pin back out again...

Incidentally, I think both methods of pin/collar are very secure. But the one in which the collar is in the middle of the link is easier to size, IMO.
    Rocat likes this.
    Casio G-shock
    MRG-G1000B-1ADR, MTG-B1000TF-1AJR, GWR-B1000X-1A, GMW-B5000TFC-1, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-9, GMW-B5000G-1, GWF-D1000MB-3JF, GPR-B1000-1, GPR-B1000-1B, GWG-1000-1A, GW-9400-1, GW-9400DCJ-1, GW-9400BTJ-8, GW-9401KJ-3JR, GW-5000-1JF, GW-B5600FB-4JR, GW-B5600HR-1, GXW-56BB-1JF, GW-3000M-4A, DW-5035D-1B, DW-5600BB (x2), DW-5600E (x2), DW-5600EG-9V, DW-5600CL-1, GW-M5610TR-7JF, DW-5600MS, GLS-5600CL-1, GLS-5600CL-3, DW-6930, GA-100MM-8A, G100BB-1A, GLS-6900-9JF, G-8900SC, GD-350-1B, GD-400-9CS, DW-6900MS, GD-120CM-4, GD-X6900CM-5, GLS-8900CM-2, GW-002KA.
    Casio Protrek/Pathfinder
    PAG-240B-2, PRW-2500R-1, PRW-3100FC-1JF, PRX-8000T-7AJF.
    Casio AE-1200 (x2)
    Casio W217H-1A
    MDV106-1A
    MTD1080-7A

Thread Information