Planning my first mod after only 2 months of owning a Seiko
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sticky

Thread: Planning my first mod after only 2 months of owning a Seiko

Planning my first mod after only 2 months of owning a Seiko

Yea, that didn't take long.
    I bought my first Seiko about two months back. A slightly pre-owned SKX009J. Looks brand new. I was hooked when I first put it on. One month later, I had to have a Monster. I picked up a new orange "Nemo" and love it. Wanting to expand my horizons and have different watches to wear, I stumbled across the yellow faced SKXA35 only to be disappointed. As usual, I'm late to the game. No longer made, sold out everywhere, now a collectors item fetching major bucks when they are up for sale.

So Sunday morning, I was doing my usual eBay searches and low and behold, a new Seiko SKXA35 dial popped up for sale. Two actually, but I only snagged one. Also grabbed the yellow index ring as well and some original black hands and a red aftermarket second hand with a lume dot. But when I went back a few minutes later, #2 dial was already gone!

I still need to get a nice 007 as the donor, but that will be a little later this summer.

At this time I have all the watch tools saved in my cart on eBay, but I wanted to get input here from those that have been down this road. Hand puller and plunger, crystal press and back remover tool are only $25. Far cry from the Snap On tools I'm use to ponying up for!

Any advise you can offer up, let me know. I'm all ears and willing to learn!

Re: Planning my first mod after only 2 months of owning a Seiko

Congrats on the score. Movement holder would come in handy, fine tip non-magnetic tweezers and rodico as well.

Thanks! I'll add those. I already have some fine tip stainless tweezers from my model building stash. Along with the necessary eye help, my Optivisor. I'm use to working with micro sized model parts already.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you’ve not pulled the trigger on the tools already do so then practice on a couple of junkers. This will not only get you into the feel of things but show you what tools you need to upgrade to avoid the anguish that can sometimes come with working with cheap tackle.
    L110BFV likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsGT View Post
    Yea, that didn't take long.
    I bought my first Seiko about two months back. A slightly pre-owned SKX009J. Looks brand new. I was hooked when I first put it on. One month later, I had to have a Monster. I picked up a new orange "Nemo" and love it. Wanting to expand my horizons and have different watches to wear, I stumbled across the yellow faced SKXA35 only to be disappointed. As usual, I'm late to the game. No longer made, sold out everywhere, now a collectors item fetching major bucks when they are up for sale.

So Sunday morning, I was doing my usual eBay searches and low and behold, a new Seiko SKXA35 dial popped up for sale. Two actually, but I only snagged one. Also grabbed the yellow index ring as well and some original black hands and a red aftermarket second hand with a lume dot. But when I went back a few minutes later, #2 dial was already gone!

I still need to get a nice 007 as the donor, but that will be a little later this summer.

At this time I have all the watch tools saved in my cart on eBay, but I wanted to get input here from those that have been down this road. Hand puller and plunger, crystal press and back remover tool are only $25. Far cry from the Snap On tools I'm use to ponying up for!

Any advise you can offer up, let me know. I'm all ears and willing to learn!
    I too once was courted by the Snap-On truck. If you work with tools for a living, there is a very good reason you pony up for good tools. I have found there are a select few watch tools I skimped on that I ended up rebuying the Gucci brand.

That being said, I got into modding a few months ago and since have built several watches with different movements (ISA, Miyota ETA) and cases, making things work and piecing together things. if you plan on doing this a lot I would recommend good tools.

My pride and joy and the best tool I have purchased so far are my Bergeon 7026 hand tweezers. These are $45 and the absolute best instruments I have found for getting hands in place. At $45 they are not cheap, but took my watching hand install time down to just minuets. #3 Dumonts are a must as well. I do have 2 sets of Esslinger #3 tweezers that are working out pretty good. they are $2.99 and well worth it

Working on SKXs watches there is not too much of a need for screwdrivers with other movements it is necessary. I have 6-7 Horotec screwdrivers with extra blades that have done exactly what they needed to do and repeatedly.

Hand protection. I don't like finger cots. I use a 3 mil glove from Harbor Freight. Super thin and cheap. Works very well for watch modding. Remember if you use gloves make sure hey are power free.

If your eyes are still pretty good try reading glasses. 1x work for 90% of what I do. for hands I use 3x. and a 4x to checking hand spacing.

Thread Information