Poor poor poor mans grand seiko
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Poor poor poor mans grand seiko

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Poor poor poor mans grand seiko

I'm getting married next year, and while my fiancee plans such things as venue, guests, meal, buffet, dress, colour schemes, table layouts and such like... i've been doing my bit for the occasion and have been thinking which watch i should wear! I think you'll agree it is an important and much over looked aspect of any wedding, or to come to it, any event!

All of my seikos are divers watches, and since i'll be suited and booted i thought it should be a dress watch, ideally of the grand seiko variety, something like a SBGH001 or a snowflake, but there is no way i am going to afford one of those beauties. I know some of the SARBs are very nice looking too, but for the amount of wear i would give a dress watch, even those maybe a bit pricey (the ones i've seen have been around the £400 mark).

So what poor poor poor mans grand seikos are there?

I've seen a few seiko 5's of that style and the SGEF ones look quite nice, any advice?
    SEIKO SMY003 - HELSON Sharkdiver Steel & Brass- PRECISTA PRS-18Q - SMITHS PRS-68 - ​MAGRETTE Tiki PVD - RAVEN ​Trekker

Re: Poor poor poor mans grand seiko

I ended up wearing a 5626 LM for mine!

If your a Seiko man and you like classic dressy styling you can't go wrong with the LMs or KS's if yer a bit flush.

I just got married on November 11th.

I wore my SRP005. Here is a shot of it and my ring:
    Name:  IMG_1692.jpg
Views: 2674
Size:  421.9 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here's a nice choice that's sporty yet still dressy, so your not stuck with a one time only worn watch. Seiko Stainless Steel Chronograph Mens Watch SNDC05: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    Current watches: Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk Atomic JY0000-53E. Custom built Vintage style watch with 15 Jewel Swiss Rolex/Cortebert 616 movement with custom made dial and re-shaped case.
    Watches now sold or traded: Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001 traded ;-( but know I will buy one again, Seiko Alpinist SARB061, 2 Lum-Tec Combat B-1's, 2 Omega Seamasters, Omega Speedmaster, Anonimo Millemetri, Anonimo Militare, Hamilton Officers Chrono, Citizen Skyhawk, Rolex Day Date, Tudor Prince, Steinhart Ocean One, Seiko Mil Sub Mod, Seiko FFF Mod, Seiko Sumo, Seiko Spring Drive, Sinn Hydro Prototype, Bell & Ross Bomb Squad, BaliHa'i CaliHa'i, Luminox Black Ops and many more over the years I just can't remember.

Last edited by malJohann; November 23rd, 2011 at 23:56.
    Casio PRW-3510FC-1JF (newy)
    Casio PRG-240T-7 (gifted)
    Citizen JW0050-58E (banger)

Quote Originally Posted by Sportster View Post
    I just got married on November 11th.

I wore my SRP005. Here is a shot of it and my ring:
    Name:  IMG_1692.jpg
Views: 2674
Size:  421.9 KB
    You wore a rubber band watch at your own wedding??
    Now that's having balls
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Johnny Wishbone; November 24th, 2011 at 01:50.

I'm pretty sure that's black leather. I'd love to find that strap for my Seiko Superior SRP003. I think their Superior line is an often overlooked gem. The only difference I can see between the watch shown and my SRP003 is the leather strap and the silver ring on the dial at the indices. They make the same basic watch in several configurations - white dial on stainless bracelet, White dial with two tone, and maybe another one or two. I love mine, and it looks dressy enough for any occasion (in my opinion). When you consider a lot of people where their Rolex and Omega sport watches with suits and/or tuxes, I see no problem with this. You get a sapphire crystal, automatic movement, and display back for a couple hundred dollars. How can you go wrong? Oh, they also make an all black version on a black stainless band.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
    You wore a rubber band watch at your own wedding??
    Now that's having balls
    Last edited by constant change; November 24th, 2011 at 05:24.

Quote Originally Posted by constant change View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's black leather. I'd love to find that strap for my Seiko Superior SRP003. I think their Superior line is an often overlooked gem. The only difference I can see between the watch shown and my SRP003 is the leather strap and the silver ring on the dial at the indices. They make the same basic watch in several configurations - white dial on stainless bracelet, White dial with two tone, and maybe another one or two. I love mine, and it looks dressy enough for any occasion (in my opinion). When you consider a lot of people where their Rolex and Omega sport watches with suits and/or tuxes, I see no problem with this. You get a sapphire crystal, automatic movement, and display back for a couple hundred dollars. How can you go wrong? Oh, they also make an all black version on a black stainless band.
    Yes, it is black leather.

I also think the Superior line is an under rated one. I wasn't sure how it would be with a tux, but I think it held its own. My only complaint about it is the pre shaped leather strap. Never had one like it before so I just may not be use to it.

Traditionally, you don't wear a watch with a tuxedo jacket. Besides, it's your wedding! Who cares what time it is. No watch is much classier, and your tux will fit better without one.
    Johnny Wishbone likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information