​Problem with 8F56 movement (service options?) ​

Thread: ​Problem with 8F56 movement (service options?) ​

​Problem with 8F56 movement (service options?) ​

I am looking at buying a​ used​ Seiko with an 8F56 movement.(I used to have two 8F56 Seikos—SBCJ 019 and 021, the Alpinists in titanium—but they were stolen, so I don't have one handy to try to tinker with/figure any of this out.)

There are two advertised problems with ​the new watch I am considering buying. One, the date displays correctly, but doesn't line up quite correctly with the window two, the watch loses about 15–20 seconds per day. I haven't done much with 8F56 movements beyond replacing the battery and resetting the calendar.​ ​Do these problems with this particular movement sound too expensive to bother with, or could it be serviced for a reasonable amount of money (or even at home)? ​Anyone have experience trying to have this movement serviced by Seiko in the United States?​

Thanks!

(If anyone wants two spare Seiko 19mm titanium bracelets that are missing the rest of the watch, you know where to find me!)

I'd like to discuss buying your bracelets.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by sudeva View Post
    I am looking at buying a​ used​ Seiko with an 8F56 movement.​ (I used to have two 8F56 Seikos—SBCJ 019 and 021, the Alpinists in titanium—but they were stolen, so I don't have one handy to try to tinker with/figure any of this out.)

There are two advertised problems with ​the new watch I am considering buying. One, the date displays correctly, but doesn't line up quite correctly with the window two, the watch loses about 15–20 seconds per day. I haven't done much with 8F56 movements beyond replacing the battery and resetting the calendar.​ ​Do these problems with this particular movement sound too expensive to bother with, or could it be serviced for a reasonable amount of money (or even at home)? ​Anyone have experience trying to have this movement serviced by Seiko in the United States?​

Thanks!

(If anyone wants two spare Seiko 19mm titanium bracelets that are missing the rest of the watch, you know where to find me!)

Re: ​Problem with 8F56 movement (service options?) ​

I'd think about finding another parts watch, in working order, with the same movement, and swapping things out. Your experience with Seiko USA service might differ from mine, but keep in mind that you're talking about an older, discontinued movement.

I sent a SLT079 in for service at Seiko. Needed a battery replacement and calendar reset. Yes, I should probably have just done it on my own, but also wanted them to check out the rest of the movement as well.

Now. I examined the watch I'd purchased off of ebay carefully. And even though it was not working because dead battery, I tried all the crown functions -- quickset hour hand GMT function at first stop worked fine, so did time/GMT hand adjustment at second stop.

Packaged it up and sent it to Seiko USA NJ.

Sent back, no charge (how big of them...) with a note saying it could not be fixed, part not available. What part? Crown/stem assembly, it was broken, about 1/4" stub of stem on the crown, which easily pulled out of the case. WTF? Also, the watch was running, so the battery had been replaced. When I confronted them about the discrepancy between how I sent it out and how it was received back, they said they had not replaced the battery, since initial examination indicated a broken stem and no replacement part available.

They would not discuss the issue further, so I was left with a new (used) $75 paperweight. Not sure what to think of it all, but for sure I won't be sending anything out to Seiko USA NJ service center any time soon.

Thanks Seiko USA! You've motivated me to work on my own watches...
    Watches are life. Live to Watch, Watch to Live. Do you even Watch, bro?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: ​Problem with 8F56 movement (service options?) ​

I maybe have a NOS 8F56 movement lying around somewhere. Paid a pretty penny for it back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information