Question about titanium watches
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Question about titanium watches

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question about titanium watches

Im looking at purchasing a titanium Seiko watch and wonder if any TI owners could tell me if they are tougher and less prone to scratches than stainless steel? Any information would be appreciated.
    X24 likes this.

Re: Question about titanium watches

Everything I've ever read says Titanium scratches easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave315
    Im looking at purchasing a titanium Seiko watch and wonder if any TI owners could tell me if they are tougher and less prone to scratches than stainless steel? Any information would be appreciated.
    I've had a Ti Alpinist for a couple of months. The clasp on the Ti band where it slides around on my desk does have visible scratching and wear and there's some barely visible marks on another link, so I suspect it does scratch more easily or at least the scratches show up more. Then again I haven't inspected my SS Seikos lately because I like wearing this one!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Hi Dave,

Read numerous posts about titanium getting scratched up more easily than ss. It is a lighter metal than ss which is nice, but the downside would be getting scratched up more. I have a titanium Citizen but I mainly wear it for dress so I'm not sure about how much it gets marked up.

Ti is a "softer" metal than SS, so its more prone to scratches, etc.

but the up side is the lighter weight, and "less cold" than SS (you know that "cold feel" when you put on SS on a cold winter morning :-D ), anti-allergic, and the cool tone of Ti color.

if you want tough (scratch resistant) Ti, try Citizen Durtact Ti. that's one tough finish.

Quote Originally Posted by stockae92
    Ti is a "softer" metal than SS, so its more prone to scratches, etc.

but the up side is the lighter weight, and "less cold" than SS (you know that "cold feel" when you put on SS on a cold winter morning :-D ), anti-allergic, and the cool tone of Ti color.

if you want tough (scratch resistant) Ti, try Citizen Durtact Ti. that's one tough finish.

EXACTAMONDO - Duratec ................tough as heck

Titanium has many advantages over SS in terms of tensile strength, flex, and weight, and its hypo-allergenic properties. The latter two of these properties are what makes it so appealing to jewellry and watch manufacture. A chunky dive watch certainly has the weight advantage over its SS counterpart, especially when you consider it will be 40% lighter.

However, one point to note is that Ti is harder to process and the higher grade forms processing costs rise exponentially. ie grade 9 Ti is unlikely to scratch at all with many years of use. Watches tend to use grades 1 to 5 for the casings, which can be scratched more easily.

Most watchmakers don't provide any details of the Ti grading in their specs, hence why some Ti watches hold out better than others.

My personal preference is SS. If I'm wearing a big ass watch on my wrist I want to be constantly reminded it's there.

Even though Ti scratches easier it is more durable than SS. A few strokes of a simple ink eraser will remove almost all scratches on a Ti watch. Very simple to do and the results are outstanding. A ss watch needs serious buffing to remove scratches. But hey if you are looking for serious heft...SS is the material for you

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shock
    Even though Ti scratches easier it is more durable than SS. A few strokes of a simple ink eraser will remove almost all scratches on a Ti watch. Very simple to do and the results are outstanding. A ss watch needs serious buffing to remove scratches. But hey if you are looking for serious heft...SS is the material for you
    any particular brand of ink eraser? that will come into handy some time

for refinishing SS, one can try with "scotch bright" (sp? the green pad that you use to clean pots), brush it in a uniform and unidirectional manner.

i've tried it before and it works well on light surface scratches

The standard grade of Titanium used in jewellery and watches, is generally Ti commercially pure 1 or 2 which is around 99% pure Titanium, this is why it is easy to scratch, it is the easiest grade to work with.

Regs

Bry

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information