The Restoration Challenge Game Thread... - Page 7
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The Restoration Challenge Game Thread...

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Re: The Restoration Challenge Game Thread...

Gabe,

The dial picture seems to be missing so it is hard to comment on the hands.
    I think the mesh will look great with the hooded lugs on that case. What is the case size? If it is a large case (42mm diameter) the beefier watchadoo might look better.

BTW: Is that the mesh that you told me about at the GTG? Did you figure out what to do with the lug tube so it would be stronger?
    Regards

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by giosdad View Post
    The dial picture seems to be missing so it is hard to comment on the hands.
    The picture is fixed. let me know what you think now.

I think the mesh will look great with the hooded lugs on that case. What is the case size? If it is a large case (42mm diameter) the beefier watchadoo might look better.
    The case is about 40mm wide side to side, and a bit more lug to lug. I think the watchadoo might overpower it.

BTW: Is that the mesh that you told me about at the GTG? Did you figure out what to do with the lug tube so it would be stronger?
    yes that's it. That broken one was replaced for a new one. I still have the broken one. I think it needs to be soldered back on, or glued with some sort of metal binding adhesive. In understand that some metal binding adhesives can be stronger than welds once the cure, so if anyone can recommend a good one, I would love to hear about it.

I am coming late to the party Gabe. I only recently started dropping in over here at WUS. I am now hunting for a project watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I can see the dial now. That is one of my favorite dials. I would love to see the Omega hands on that dial which is often paired with Ploprof hands.

I think the 6106 hands would look better with round or rectangular indices and as opposed to that dial. With a 40mm width that mesh will work much better than the watchadoo.
    Last edited by giosdad; May 11th, 2009 at 23:32.
    Regards

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by aladin_sane View Post
    I am coming late to the party Gabe. I only recently started dropping in over here at WUS. I am now hunting for a project watch.
    Excellent man. send me your e-mail address and I'll add you to the mailing list. Good to see you stopping by. The new guys are really benefiting form the input of long time collectors such as yourself and others. thanks for dropping by and welcome aboard.

I can see the dial now. That is one of my favorite dials. I would love to see the Omega hands on that dial which is often paired with Ploprof hands.
    I hear you, but I'm not trying to build a ploprof (heck it's not even a diver). That plus as nice as they are, IMHO plongeur hands have been done to death. it's time to explore new horizons.

Okay no comments on using a H556-5029 as a project watch, so how about a 7A38-7000? I dug through my dead watch box and found it last night. This watch doesn't run. I put a fresh battery in it and can see the seconds counter trying to move. Chronograph functions perfectly. My guess is it needs a service.

I've looked at the service manual and the movement seems pretty simple. Is it simple enough for someone who has never worked on a movement to service (clean and lubricate)?

it's hard to give you an opinion if you don't post pictures of what you have to work with. let us see what you have and we can give you an idea of what you can or cannot do with the physical side of things. maybe lew or peter can chime in on the movement side of things. As for the Arnie, it is possible to source a working module from some other watches that had it. it will take some careful, constant and patient combing of the bay to find them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
    it's hard to give you an opinion if you don't post pictures of what you have to work with. let us see what you have and we can give you an idea of what you can or cannot do with the physical side of things. maybe lew or peter can chime in on the movement side of things. As for the Arnie, it is possible to source a working module from some other watches that had it. it will take some careful, constant and patient combing of the bay to find them though.
    I've got a source for a working Arnie, complete with just a bad bezel and non-original band. My watch is missing the internal bezel and the movement is bad. Too simple a project to pop the bezel off of mine and put it on the working Arnie I can buy and pop my original band on it. I may do it, but I don't think it would be a good entry for this game...

The 7A38 should be a better project since it would be my first attempt at servicing a movement. The only question is, is it too much to bite off for someone who has never serviced a movement? Maybe the pics will help someone render an opinion...

Pics of 7A38-7000

Oooh..I don't think so. I've rebuilt many of those and they are not for the novice to attempt. That's a 15 jewel 98% mechanical movement and the gears & pivots are tiny. These are a bit too complicated the main plate has seven pivots to align and are very delicate. Sorry
    I Make Watches From The Dead

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information