SARX035
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: SARX035

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SARX035

Hi there,

So I just got a job promotion and want to spend a bit more on a good watch - I was contemplating the cocktail series watches before but after much research I'm very, very close to pulling the trigger on the SARX035.

The only reasons I haven't yet is for 2 reasons :

1) I have to import, so I can't try it on first
    2) Apparently it's a massive watch

My wrist size is slightly larger than 6". I really, really like the SARX035 judging by the pictures and the reviews - amazing fit and finish, but I'm hoping you guys can give me some extra confidence in the purchasing decision.

First of all, are there any guys on the forum who own this watch that have 6" wrists? How do you find the watch?

This watch for me is going to be for special occasions and the odd business meeting - I won't be wearing it all the time. I'm probably going to get a cheaper Seiko 5 SNKL41K1 as my daily - don't want to scratch the SARX035 to oblivion, plus the SNKL41K1 looks pretty good with a leather scrap.
    Eagle Scout likes this.

Re: SARX035

I have 6.25 to 6.5 wrist and I find the smaller SARB033 to be a bit big now. Maybe my preference have changed over the years.

I have not tried the SARX035 but have tried the thinner SJE073. It's okay because of the 46mm (?) lug to lug length. But I really prefer something smaller at this point.

Hi Deraan, we have the same size wrist and I own all three of the watches mentioned (mine is the SARX047). Here's a pic on wrist.

Name:  WRIST SARX.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  131.7 KB

Lug to lug on the SARX measures 47mm while the SARB065 Cocktail is 48mm.

Name:  COCKTAIL SARX.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  125.4 KB

And with the SARB035

Name:  SARB SARX.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  112.5 KB

Some thoughts and opinions.... personally I don't think the SARX is massive on my wrist. My Cocktail Time SARB065 is the upper limit of lug to lug for my wrist as a personal rule. Like you, these are not everyday watches. The are both comfortable on wrist and under cuff, both on bracelet and leather. Obviously this is subjective and some will disagree based on the wrist pic above. My rule of thumb is that the lugs cannot extend beyond the edges of my wrist, and for that 48mm is my comfortable max. The top of my wrist measures 53mm.

If you like the watch and are considering a purchase, I hope this is helpful. A SARB033 would also be a great choice and offers more bracelet options aftermarket. The SARX is a slight step up in quality IMO, especially the amazing blue dial of the 045.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Scout View Post
    Hi Deraan, we have the same size wrist and I own all three of the watches mentioned (mine is the SARX047). Here's a pic on wrist.

Name:  WRIST SARX.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  131.7 KB

Lug to lug on the SARX measures 47mm while the SARB065 Cocktail is 48mm.

Name:  COCKTAIL SARX.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  125.4 KB

And with the SARB035

Name:  SARB SARX.jpg
Size:  112.5 KB

Some thoughts and opinions.... personally I don't think the SARX is massive on my wrist. My Cocktail Time SARB065 is the upper limit of lug to lug for my wrist as a personal rule. Like you, these are not everyday watches. The are both comfortable on wrist and under cuff, both on bracelet and leather. Obviously this is subjective and some will disagree based on the wrist pic above. My rule of thumb is that the lugs cannot extend beyond the edges of my wrist, and for that 48mm is my comfortable max. The top of my wrist measures 53mm.

If you like the watch and are considering a purchase, I hope this is helpful. A SARB033 would also be a great choice and offers more bracelet options aftermarket. The SARX is a slight step up in quality IMO, especially the amazing blue dial of the 045.
    Thanks Eagle Scout! Very helpful indeed.

As a matter of interest what watch do you wear as a daily? I have a feeling that if I buy this watch I'm going to have to baby it like crazy, hence the idea of buying a much cheaper Seiko 5 as a daily that (IMO) I think still looks stunning.

Eagle Scout likes this.

Glad that was helpful. I baby my SARX as well and understand your approach. Enjoy them all.

My SKXs, Recraft UFO, Alpinist, and SARB035 get the most wrist time.

That SEIKO 5 is very nice. Especially like the bracelet link design on that model. That case will wear nicely on your wrist. Here's mine.

Name:  Wrist.jpg
Size:  472.3 KB

Also check out the similar SNK793 in blue. Amazing dial and value.

Personally I think you'd be much better of getting the Sarb. The same movement for nearly half the price, and the Sarb looks great!

A dress watch shouldn't be huge on your wrist, and the Sarx at nearly 41mm is quite a bit larger than the Sarb. Can you wear a larger watch? Sure, just like you can wear a sport coat that's too big for you. A larger watch makes your wrist look smaller, not bigger. Elegance, my friend, elegance...

Quote Originally Posted by roseskunk View Post
    Personally I think you'd be much better of getting the Sarb. The same movement for nearly half the price, and the Sarb looks great!

A dress watch shouldn't be huge on your wrist, and the Sarx at nearly 41mm is quite a bit larger than the Sarb. Can you wear a larger watch? Sure, just like you can wear a sport coat that's too big for you. A larger watch makes your wrist look smaller, not bigger. Elegance, my friend, elegance...
    I've heard about the Sarb, but there is something special about the Sarx - fit and finish, overall quality of workmanship is higher and since I want I'm prepared to spend the extra, I think it would be worth getting.

As far as size goes, I've noticed many dress watches are pretty large nowadays. I think it's a trend. You think a watch like the Sarx fitted on a 6" wrist is not going to look elegant? It looks pretty elegant on Eagles wrists, but what I do know, I'm not a watch expert.
    Eagle Scout likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskunk View Post

Agreed that the SARB is a fine choice and very pleased with mine.

We could debate elegance vs prominence here regarding dress watches. Both these watches are 11.2/3mm thick. 44mm lug to lug vs 47mm. The low profile clasp on the SARX bracelet closes as thin as the links themselves, so wears great under cuff. The SARX is more refined and a more elegant dress watch than the SARB.

For those of us who need to limit choices based on wrist size, choosing only options smaller than a 41mm case is simply not necessary. Lug to lug and wrist width are much more important IMO. The OP will need to decide for himself what is acceptable based on his wrist shape and personal style.
    Last edited by Eagle Scout; 1 Day Ago at 14:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Deraan View Post
    I've heard about the Sarb, but there is something special about the Sarx - fit and finish, overall quality of workmanship is higher and since I want I'm prepared to spend the extra, I think it would be worth getting.

As far as size goes, I've noticed many dress watches are pretty large nowadays. I think it's a trend. You think a watch like the Sarx fitted on a 6" wrist is not going to look elegant? It looks pretty elegant on Eagles wrists, but what I do know, I'm not a watch expert.
    I agree Deraan. Is the SARX larger on my sized wrist? Yes, it's my personal upper limit. Look at the photo again, just focusing on the dial diameter which is well within acceptable. Then the lugs, which are still within the width of my wrist. All good IMO. My wrist size makes the SARX a prominent piece.

Not trying to justify my personal choices and style here. Just giving you the best visual information/representation so you can make your own personal decision. A SARB035 would be a solid choice as well. As stated above, it's the same thickness as the SARX with a smaller footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Scout View Post
    Glad that was helpful. I baby my SARX as well and understand your approach. Enjoy them all.

My SKXs, Recraft UFO, Alpinist, and SARB035 get the most wrist time.

That SEIKO 5 is very nice. Especially like the bracelet link design on that model. That case will wear nicely on your wrist. Here's mine.

Name:  Wrist.jpg
Size:  472.3 KB

Also check out the similar SNK793 in blue. Amazing dial and value.
    I was looking at this watch a while ago but the bracelet was a deal breaker. Need to source a SKZ20x bracelet first.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information