SBDC007 and SBDC009 just released! << - Page 7
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: SBDC007 and SBDC009 just released! <<

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Banned

Re: SBDC007 and SBDC009 just released! <<

Er, I always thought that's why it was called the Sumo!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
    Er, I always thought that's why it was called the Sumo!
    Why do I suddenly have images of a fat turkey wearing a loin cloth? I am hungry and unsettled all at the same time.

I pretty much share the same sentiment as everybody else.
    However, just to set the facts right, does anybody know what is the actual cost of this diashield treatment? If it is hugely expensive that may explain the cost.
    The hands are still ugly IMO.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

In my best Dr Evil voice:

"1 MILLION dollars!!!"*

* The above statement may or may not be true. But I believe the treatment is unlikely to cost $US500!!!

Quote Originally Posted by panerai7 View Post
    You need to actually hold the OS300M before you decide. It's not blingy at all and the bracelet is actually very comfortable and better than sumo's 20mm width. The watch is built like a tank, and the bezel is the best in industry just like Rolex Deepsea Seadweller.

OS300M also has a 5.3mm sapphire AR-coated crystal unlike sumo and this titanium version. Who cares if it hacks or not, slight turn counter-clockwise will stop the second hand and won't even change back the time.

Ask anyone who actually owned OS300, it's in a difference league, period. Don't judge the watch by its pictures
    yup
    OS300 is above the league of my 2 Sumo and my 3 Samurai

i prefer OS300 than SBDC007/9 since OS300 is much cheaper
    it is helium dive, it is huge, it has power reserve, dead accurate, and build quality is incredible

Banned

I want an OS300 bad. Where is it cheaper than the SBDC007? OS300 is US$1200 at Chino.

I want an OS300 bad. Where is it cheaper than the SBDC007? OS300 is US$1200 at Chino.
    OS 300 is 850 $ in my place

if I bought SBDC 007 it cost 950$, plus 20 % goverment tax
    killing me

OS 300 is 1300 $ but 35 % discount, i pay 850 flat hahahaha

i choose OS300

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3 View Post
    I like the watch, but at it's price point it is no deal at all for me.

It does make the Sumo look like an even better deal than it already was.
    +1 on that. The Sumo is an incredible watch.

Banned

In my best Dr Evil voice:

"1 MILLION dollars!!!"*

* The above statement may or may not be true. But I believe the treatment is unlikely to cost $US500!!!
    This is where you and I split, my friend. First off, not even the SBDB001 Marinemaster sports this sort of protection, as far as I can tell. While the Marinemaster does use the Brightz Ti (which is 30% harder than SS), it is not married with Seiko's version of DLC, Diashield. To get these two together in a diver, you are talking Grand Seiko. And from what I can tell, the step from SS to Brightz/Diashield in the Grand Seiko costs you about $1000.

Funny, the deeper I dive to defend my opinion of the technology Seiko is using to finish and protech this piece, the more I think it really is fairly priced. Thanks everyone for convincing me of what a bargain it is to actually find this watch at under 1K.

You can call it the "Turkey" if you like. Considering it's full battle armor, crisper lines and the fact that it always seems to be under attack, I will be calling it the SHOGUN!

Any chance I can get a custom caseback? I want this on mine:
    Shishou and idkfa like this.

as this announcement spun me off into a purchase of an SDBA001, I guess I could chime in.

I honestly think the metal treatment potentially justifies up to half the price point shift. If it really works out and creates a much more durrable Ti piece, then maybe things will work themselves out.

Sure, the timing is rather bad for Seiko to move a trio of timepieces up market, this also isn't the first time a mistake like this has been made by a Japanese company. I'd like to think they know something we don't, but more likely, it was just a matter of momentum. Launches like this had to have been planned and ready for 1-3 years.

Going back to the watch and why I made my decision. I realized after a month with a heavier SS diver that I was 1. okay with a larger watch and 2. kind of missing a slightly smaller weight. I've really liked titanium in almost every product I've experienced its use in. I carry Ti Atwood tools, use Ti and Al links in places on my EDC, I've worn Ti glass frames since they came out. The metal is just right for me.

However, in my case, the intended price of a new "Shogun" is just out of my range. I'd been saving a purchase of that magnitude for a used Speedie or SMP/PO. Or a 300MM. So, I jumped now, to get a watch I was interested in on paper and curious about. (I'd never seen one in person. I recommend it. ) Time will tell if it was the right decision.

Posters above are right. The Samurai line is now a classic. It was novel, functional and affordable. This new offspin has elements of the first two, but misses the third point. (Okay, by a lot.) I think only time will tell where it goes and what niche it finally finds as stock of those these replace vanish.

If they'd release it globally a year later, I could see this acting as a lever to put some other watch brand lovers in touch with what Seiko does.

Meanwhile, we still have our classics. And we still have that possibility for a 6309 reissue/revival.
    Seiko SARB059 Alpinist.
    Orient 2ER Blue Ring, Black Dial
    Seiko SHC051 Orange Diver on nato
    Casio G-Shock GW-810 rubber <<deckwatch>>
    Seiko 6309-7049 (safe queen c/ monthly day pass)
    Gifted: SND217, G-shocks, SKA809k2

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information