SBDC051 and SBDC061
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: SBDC051 and SBDC061

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SBDC051 and SBDC061

So first off a disclaimer. I find most Prospex watches that I have handled (turtle, samurai) bulky and with very poor quality bracelets.

Now with that out of the way recently I find myself gravitating towards these two watches. Especially the 51. But since I cant see them in person I want some expert advice and truthfully I have many questions:

1. Why do these two watches cost almost tripple what something like a turtle costs? The more detail the better.

2. Do Seikos in this price range have better bracelets than prospex in the 200-350 dollar range?

3. Does anyone own any if these watches? If so how do you like them and would you recommend them?

4. Can someone give me a crash course in the movement in these watches. Is it in par say with a SW200? Better? How so.

I know many questions but I know nothing about Seikos so your help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Watch List:

Mont Blanc Star XXL Automatic (Ref. 101644)
    Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 17 RS (Ref. CAV511A.BA0902)
    Rolex Explorer 39mm (Ref. 214270)
    Omega Speedmaster Pro Sapphire Sandwich (Ref. 3573.50)
    Rolex Submariner (Ref. 114060)
    Tudor Heritage Black Bay (Ref. 79230B)
    Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 (Ref. CV01AJ.BA0727)
    IWC Ingenieur (Ref. 3227)
    Oris Aquis Date 43.5mm
    IWC Ingenieur (Ref. 3239)
    Mont Blanc Star 4810 Automatic (Ref. 102340)
    Rolex Datejust II (Ref. 116300)

Re: SBDC051 and SBDC061

Not to be a smart a$$, but you have googled this and not found hundreds of text and video reviews?

Longines Hydroconquest 39mm Blue
    Seiko SRP777
    Seiko SARB035
    Seiko SARY073

. Why do these two watches cost almost tripple what something like a turtle costs? The more detail the better.

Better materials and impressive case finishing - zaratsu polishing. Sapphire crystal with AR coating. It punches way above its weight class.

2. Do Seikos in this price range have better bracelets than prospex in the 200-350 dollar range?

Yes, but they're still not on par with the case finishing, or other bracelets in that price rage from European brands. That being said, it is tolerable and comfortable (enough), but durable as all hell though! And thanks to the diashield, it blings and barely scratches, if at all.

3. Does anyone own any if these watches? If so how do you like them and would you recommend them?

I own the sbdc063 and our honeymoon is entering its fourth month. I'm coming fresh off a Black Bay and though they're not in the same class, its damn close. Obviously the high end Tudor has better construction in terms of the hands, dial, bracelet and clasp mechanism. If you want to be impressed with a bracelet, that's the watch to get.

4. Can someone give me a crash course in the movement in these watches. Is it in par say with a SW200? Better? How so.

It's hit or miss. I owned this movement in another watch (sumo) and it ran within 3 seconds a day. The sbdc063 runs consistently at +10 a day. The fact that it's consistent is the best part. It's not COSC, and I've come to terms with that, for what it lacks in precision, it makes up for in charm and incredible case work. Seiko gives a range of +25, -15 per day - which is ridiculous. Most people get within single digit results. They claim that the 6r15 is comparable to the ETA 2824. Having owned a 2824 (in my sinn 656), I can definitely call BS. Seiko uses this movement in many upper mid tier watches.

Seiko's value is in its charm, case finishing, and price offerings. These two models are serious contenders for those that are 2 - 3x the price point. Also, you'll go 2 - 3x longer before you might even think about servicing. People go 20 years without servicing their seikos. If you pull the trigger, skip the bracelet. You'll be happy with the rubber and can go buy a nice shell strap or upgraded bracelet from strap code or rubber from crafter blue. You might want to also check out the transocean and the new sumo (which is an upgraded version of the same movement).

Good luck! The seiko koolaid tastes #%cking incredible. I keep coming back for more. You might like the next level up: the marine master and sla019.

Crate410 and Certified G like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Crate410 View Post
    So first off a disclaimer. I find most Prospex watches that I have handled (turtle, samurai) bulky and with very poor quality bracelets.

Now with that out of the way recently I find myself gravitating towards these two watches. Especially the 51. But since I cant see them in person I want some expert advice and truthfully I have many questions:

1. Why do these two watches cost almost tripple what something like a turtle costs? The more detail the better.

They're not worth three times as much but the reason for higher cost is better materials such as sapphire and no aluminium bezel inserts, better finishing, better movement, diashield.

Yes but then personally I wouldn't describe the Samurai bracelet as very poor. The bracelets on these watches have nicer links (not 1 piece), they're better finished and they have milled clasps, but still with that pos divers extension.

I don't own either of those two but I own a Transocean which is in that same class and I love it.

Compared to the SW200, lower VPH, longer power reserve, similar rated accuracy. A lot of people on here seem to hate the 6r15 and think these watches should have a better movement for the price. Many others think they're fine

I know many questions but I know nothing about Seikos so your help is greatly appreciated.

Crate410 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosman View Post
    Not to be a smart a$$, but you have googled this and not found hundreds of text and video reviews?

I have and sadly most of the video reviews talk about how “seikoesque” one is and how “good they look”

Not one explains in enough detail at least what I want to know.

Watch List:

Oris Aquis Date 43.5mm

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Remington View Post
    . Why do these two watches cost almost tripple what something like a turtle costs? The more detail the better.

Better materials and impressive case finishing - zaratsu polishing. Sapphire crystal with AR coating. It punches way above its weight class.

Yes, but they're still not on par with the case finishing, or other bracelets in that price rage from European brands. That being said, it is tolerable and comfortable (enough), but durable as all hell though! And thanks to the diashield, it blings and barely scratches, if at all.

I own the sbdc063 and our honeymoon is entering its fourth month. I'm coming fresh off a Black Bay and though they're not in the same class, its damn close. Obviously the high end Tudor has better construction in terms of the hands, dial, bracelet and clasp mechanism. If you want to be impressed with a bracelet, that's the watch to get.

It's hit or miss. I owned this movement in another watch (sumo) and it ran within 3 seconds a day. The sbdc063 runs consistently at +10 a day. The fact that it's consistent is the best part. It's not COSC, and I've come to terms with that, for what it lacks in precision, it makes up for in charm and incredible case work. Seiko gives a range of +25, -15 per day - which is ridiculous. Most people get within single digit results. They claim that the 6r15 is comparable to the ETA 2824. Having owned a 2824 (in my sinn 656), I can definitely call BS. Seiko uses this movement in many upper mid tier watches.

Seiko's value is in its charm, case finishing, and price offerings. These two models are serious contenders for those that are 2 - 3x the price point. Also, you'll go 2 - 3x longer before you might even think about servicing. People go 20 years without servicing their seikos. If you pull the trigger, skip the bracelet. You'll be happy with the rubber and can go buy a nice shell strap or upgraded bracelet from strap code or rubber from crafter blue. You might want to also check out the transocean and the new sumo (which is an upgraded version of the same movement).

Good luck! The seiko koolaid tastes #%cking incredible. I keep coming back for more. You might like the next level up: the marine master and sla019.

Thank you vey very much. You should make a video review and put this info in it.

Watch List:

Oris Aquis Date 43.5mm

Quote Originally Posted by clyde_frog View Post
    Thank you. Very much appreciated.

Watch List:

Oris Aquis Date 43.5mm

I have the same dilemma as yours but Im leaning towards the 61. I think it wears smaller.

Based on my research, i think the price difference is mainly due to better movement, Sapphire crystal and diashield.

Sent from my G8342 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rrod81; 6 Days Ago at 10:07.

SBDC061 is a great watch. The huge arrow hour hand is a turn off for some, including me at first, but i grew to like it! Fit and finish is on par with the MM300 so it actually punches above its weight imho. However, I can see why people look down on it for using the same movement as you would find in a SARB which can be had for a lot less. Ideally, Seiko would have another movement somewhere between this and the 8L35 movement to justify the price hike.
    Signature deleted. Please do not violate our rules & guidelines.

A good look at this watch family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKK92pf7TFY&t=21s
    Meanoldmanning likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information