Seiko 5 alternative
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Seiko 5 alternative

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Seiko 5 alternative

Hi,

I’m new to this forum. I’m looking for the cheap Seiko 5 alternative watch because Seiko 5 is an automatic and I want manual winding mechanism. Hamilton Khaki Field is much more expensive than Seiko 5. Does anyone know what would be cheap alternatives to Seiko 5 that have manual wind mechanism? I’m not sure about Swatch Sistem51 automatic, they to my knowledge also have manual wind mechanism despite being automatic. But I’m sure there are other cheap watches I’m not aware of.

Please help. Thanks.

Re: Seiko 5 alternative

Timex Marlin

This version is hand crank, there are other versions that are automatic.

Last edited by yankeexpress; 5 Days Ago at 13:02.
    OmegaTom likes this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Thanks. I just found Vostok Komandirskie watch, for 35-39$. They are super-cheap Russian wathces, even cheaper than Seiko 5. What do you think of them, if anyone had experience with them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage Hmt or Citizen, have a look at eBay seller vintagewatchesforuk.

Not sure why you are just calling out a Seiko 5? If you want a cheap, hand wind, get on EBay and buy a vintage Bulova, Timex, Seiko, etc. What is your price point? When you say “Seiko 5” you are talking about 40 plus years of watches in hundreds of styles with very reliable movements. Do you want a dress watch, sport watch, water resistant, leather or bracelet, day/date feature? A little more insight into what you are specifically looking for in a watch may help others with recommendations. As far as a Russian watch, I personally have no idea.
    Omega 3513.50
    Omega Chronostop Geneve Driver
    Omega Cosmic 2000
    Tag Heuer Carrera Chrono
    Seiko 6309-7040
    Seiko JDM srpc95j1
    Seiko skx007
    Seiko 6318-0011 Yachtsman
    Bulova 666 oceanographer snorkel
    Jules Jergensen solid gold dress with fancy lugs

I tried looking for a decent but cheap manual wind watch and kinda gave up. I just couldn't find one that had the look and price I was looking for. Cheap hand crankers are a bit of a rare breed.

There are some options from Vostok (the Classica comes to mind) and from Orient (Monarch) that might suit your fancy. The Timex Marlin is way too expensive for what it is IMHO.

If you're including automatics that have hand winding capability... that widens the field considerably. Yes the Vostok Komandirskie is a good option. You can sometimes find Invicta Pro Divers on sale for under $50 (I did). Also take a look at Guanqin and Cadisen on AliExpress. They are nice dress watches with hacking and hand winding Seiko movements for under $100. I've heard they might have switched to Miyota movements, so be sure to check that.

This thread should probably move to the Affordable Watches sub-forum (F71) where you might get more participation.
    OmegaTom likes this.
    Casio DW5600E; Orient Bambino V3; Red Star 1963; Seiko SARB033, SKX007 (NH36), SNA411, SNK809 (rebuild), SSB033, SUP880; Timex Fairfield Small Seconds; Tissot Automatic III; Vostok 420059

Quote Originally Posted by jcohen View Post
    Not sure why you are just calling out a Seiko 5
    I’m not calling out a Seiko 5, I just wasn’t aware that there was any Seiko 5 with manual wind. If that would be possible, I would like a watch just like Seiko 5 SNK805, just maybe a little bigger. Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical would be PERFECT. But it is much more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by mimizg123 View Post
    I’m not calling out a Seiko 5, I just wasn’t aware that there was any Seiko 5 with manual wind. If that would be possible, I would like a watch just like Seiko 5 SNK805, just maybe a little bigger. Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical would be PERFECT. But it is much more expensive.
    There's not that much difference in size between the 805 & the hamilton. The 805 is thicker and has a wider bezel which makes up a bit for the 1mm diameter difference, smaller lugs, & 18mm strap

Yes, they are really similar. Because of that the SNK805 would be perfect if it had manual wind. But I have a few automatics and would really like to get a manual wind. But to my knowledge there are none that look like SNK805 or Hamilton and be cheaper than Hamilton. Maybe if there are some used Hamiltons for sale cheaper.

Oh so it sounds like you're specifically looking for something with a field watch aesthetic.

Orient Defender maybe? I think even Citizen may have a mechanical field watch but I could be wrong.
    Casio DW5600E; Orient Bambino V3; Red Star 1963; Seiko SARB033, SKX007 (NH36), SNA411, SNK809 (rebuild), SSB033, SUP880; Timex Fairfield Small Seconds; Tissot Automatic III; Vostok 420059

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information