Seiko 6309 7290 your comments please..has it been touched

Thread: Seiko 6309 7290 your comments please..has it been touched

Seiko 6309 7290 your comments please..has it been touched

Hello all,

I usually live a few doors away in the Russian forum

I have been slowly building up a collection of SKX's, mainly new, however I broke the mould and went for this Seiko 6309 from ebay, a totally random purchase.

I'm fairly good at identifying the fakes and frankens in the Vostok and Poljot world, but I'm unsure what can get done to Seiko's.

It arrived today on a Seiko branded rubber strap which was smelly and cracked so that met the bin, I have another genunie strap for it.

It has Roman numerals as well as days on the day date, the bezel is solid and wont turn (I have a 009 that is stiff and I'm going to work on that so may do this one too)

Dial marking lume is not good and tha markings are a green colour, if they have been re done than it is a good job and the hands and sweep dot are a lighter but brighter lume.

It needs a full clean and service.

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Im not sure of the differing colour of the hands and dial markers, but im no expert.

Thanks in advance,

Rich
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Seiko 6309 7290 your comments please..has it been touched

Yes it has been touched. the dial, hands, bezel insert and crystal are all after market replacements and not correct for this model. also the case has been refinished incorrectly.

The non turning bezel is troubling, as often unscrupulous sellers of 6309's who are unable to repair broken retaining rings, instead glue the bezel into place so as to keep the crystal in place. I'm sorry man, but this is a complete build up. I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Going forward, please use the 6309 buying guide saved in our forum archive. It will go a long way toward helping you avoid watches like this one.

Hey Rich,

Looks to me like the dial, hands and bezel insert are all aftermarket parts. Check out these threads, they contain a lot of good info on the 6309 ...

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=140799

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=242410

Mike

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Do you know what...I thought so too.

Thank you for your replies so far.

No, not much money paid and I suppose its a perfect opportunity for me to have a go at taking this to bits as I want to clean up the 009 I have, so perfect for practice.

I removed the bezel and it came of ok, full of dirt, but no ring or gasket, the crystal is secure.

Out come the tools..this one is a practice piece.

:thanks

It always amazes me why people think that smothering these watches in aftermarket parts is the done thing,i personally would like to see more originals with wabi intact coming up on the bay.

be careful removing the crystal retaining ring. they are old and don't tend to age well. they are easily the most common failing point in 6309's. remove it gently and apply pressure all the way around (rotate it as you push up the sides). you don't wnat to crak it, as they are a gigantic pain in the rear to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by thorpey69 View Post
    It always amazes me why people think that smothering these watches in aftermarket parts is the done thing,i personally would like to see more originals with wabi intact coming up on the bay.
    You have echoed my feelings and sentiments exactly. I have been able to find examples of 6309-729Bs intact but I think this is a product of the inherent value with this watch.

In many years of collecting I have been able to find 1 all original 6309-729A that wasn't a basket case. I have also found a nice 6309-7290 and a japan 6309-7290 (with different case markings and "17 jewels" on the dial. These two watches have aftermarket hands but I can easily rectify that. My other slim 6309s have either been aftermarket fodder or the "Ramon Specials" which are basket cases but typically they are all original and there are some salvagable parts in them. I have enough parts to restore my 729A and 7290s and probably enough to make a couple of nice all original 7290s and 729As.

Ironic that in my time collecting Seikos I have come across 5 all original 729Bs (a very rare watch) and have owned 3 62MAS (also quite rare) with many more I could have bought yet the most difficult Seiko to find in reasonably original condition are the 7290 and 729As which were made in large numbers.

I have never understood this.

7002s are becoming the same way

Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    7002s are becoming the same way
    I've noticed this trend in the past 18 months or so. Before that pretty much every 7002 I saw was almost 100% original. Now, many are repro heaven.

Thread Information