Seiko 7002 Project

Thread: Seiko 7002 Project

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seiko 7002 Project

Seiko 7002 Movement - Is this a Seiko, Feiko or Other?

Hi Forum People,

I've just purchased a 'modified' Seiko 7002-7000 dive watch, with a February 1992 build date on the caseback.
    In looking at the movement, no part of it is signed or inclusive of any branding?

The watch is certainly modified with a replacement aftermarket dial, (Arnie style) hands,
    gold marker chapter ring & gold text bezel insert. The case itself & bezel appear to be
    genuine 7002.

The date wheel is actually silver in colour, with black text. The stem operation for changing the time/date
    works as per the 7S26 style, where the first position changes the date and the second position changes
    the time. From my research, the 7002 movement has one stem-out position only, where rotating one direction
    changes the time and the other direction changes the date (is this correct?).

In summary:

- It seems to me that it's not a 7002 movement, even though text or markings may have been polished off the rotor.
    - There's no text or signature elements on other parts of the movement.
    - The stem operation & date/time adjust don't match with my understanding of how a 7002 works?
    - The watch started up fine with a few shakes and seems to run well, even though I only received it today.
    - The whole watch seems like a 'mongrel-knock-together', but I kind of like the look of it & I did buy it for my first mod project!!

Anyway, all comments welcome and assistance with an ID on the movement would be appreciated!

Cheers.
    Last edited by sk880; 2 Days Ago at 01:33.

JAA

Re: Seiko 7002 Movement - Is this a Seiko, Feiko or Other?

On 700x movements; marking sometimes only appear on the winding rotor; even then, some rotors come with no markings. If parts got replaced, a 700x movement may end up not having markings at all.

Short story: a part broke on my 7002-700J diver. I bought a 7009 donor watch for the part. I discovered the donor watch movement was in much better condition. So I serviced the 7009 movement and put it in my 7002 diver. Maybe this is what happened with your watch. Black on silver is a correct color scheme for the date disk.
    Last edited by JAA; 1 Week Ago at 06:36.

It looks like a mish-mash of parts in there...possibly based off of a 7009 movement.

Even then though, the movement number (7009 or 7002) should have been written/stamped on the rotor and/or bridge.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm pretty sure the 7002 stem works the same way as a 7S26, not the way you described with the time one way and the date the other... I don't know how one would even build a keyless works like that.
    Casio DW5600E; Orient Bambino V3; Red Star 1963; Seiko SARB033, SKX007 (NH36), SNA411, SNK809 (rebuild), SSB033, SUP880; Timex Fairfield Small Seconds; Tissot Automatic III; Vostok 420059

Quote Originally Posted by sk880 View Post
    Seiko 7002 Movement - Is this a Seiko, Feiko or Other?

Hi Forum People,

I've just purchased a 'modified' Seiko 7002-7000 dive watch, with a February 1992 build date on the caseback.
    In looking at the movement, no part of it is signed or inclusive of any branding?

The watch is certainly modified with a replacement aftermarket dial, (Arnie style) hands,
    gold marker chapter ring & gold text bezel insert. The case itself & bezel appear to be
    genuine 7002.

The date wheel is actually silver in colour, with black text. The stem operation for changing the time/date
    works as per the 7S26 style, where the first position changes the date and the second position changes
    the time. From my research, the 7002 movement has one stem-out position only, where rotating one direction
    changes the time and the other direction changes the date (is this correct?).

In summary:

- It seems to me that it's not a 7002 movement, even though text or markings may have been polished off the rotor.
    - There's no text or signature elements on other parts of the movement.
    - The stem operation & date/time adjust don't match with my understanding of how a 7002 works?
    - The watch started up fine with a few shakes and seems to run well, even though I only received it today.
    - The whole watch seems like a 'mongrel-knock-together', but I kind of like the look of it & I did buy it for my first mod project!!

Anyway, all comments welcome and assistance with an ID on the movement would be appreciated!

Cheers.
    The movement looks correct for the year. AFAIK 1988 to 91 had signed train bridges, after that they were plain.
    The rotor is not correct and looks to be from an earlier 70xx. possibly a 7009/7025.
    However 7009 movements are often used in the 7002 and the only way of telling is to strip the dial side out and examine the movement.
    Silver date wheel is correct for a 150m 7002, only the 200m 7020/29 had black date wheels.
    The date quickset and time set functions as you have described is correct.

Thanks for the helpful comments everybody! It is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by JAA View Post
    .... Short story: a part broke on my 7002-700J diver. I bought a 7009 donor watch for the part. I discovered the donor
    watch movement was in much better condition. So I serviced the 7009 movement and put it in my 7002 diver.
    Maybe this is what happened with your watch. Black on silver is a correct color scheme for the date disk.
    Could you confirm for me... ?

- Can the stem/crown from the 7002 be simply swapped over to the 7009, if a 7009 is
    installed into the 7002-7000 case?
    - Do the dial feet from the 7002 dial match for a straight swap onto the 7009 movement?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 70xx View Post
    ...However 7009 movements are often used in the 7002 and the only way of telling is to strip the dial
    side out and examine the movement....
    I've got another couple of old 7002 dials on the way for a possible swap-over, so I hope to have a good look at the topside of
    the movement soon. I'll post more pics at that stage.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDisco99 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the 7002 stem works the same way as a 7S26, not the way you described with the time one way and the date the other...
    I don't know how one would even build a keyless works like that.
    I'm not sure where I got my notion about the stem operation... perhaps on a Youtube video somewhere? Perhaps not
    at all & I'm a bit confused on that one! I'll defer to more knowledgeable people and assume that the similar 7S26 stem
    operation is correct!

Cheers.

JAA

Quote Originally Posted by sk880 View Post
    Could you confirm for me... ?

- Can the stem/crown from the 7002 be simply swapped over to the 7009, if a 7009 is
    installed into the 7002-7000 case?
    - Do the dial feet from the 7002 dial match for a straight swap onto the 7009 movement?
    "Yes" on both questions.
    These movements are close relatives. bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Seiko 7002A
    Last edited by JAA; 1 Week Ago at 03:12.

Thanks JAA. :)

A Couple of Old Dials

A couple of old 7002 dials have arrived. It's my plan to replace the new/aftermarket dial in this 7002 with
    an old, patinaed dial and a 7002 style set of hands. A obtained two dials so I could choose between one with
    the green lume or tan lume indices. I may use an old set of hands, or perhaps a brand new set - again,
    I have both new or old to choose from.

My current idea is to use the tan lume dial, contrasted with a new set of 7002 style hands and retain the
    gold marker chapter ring and bezel insert. It's not quite the original colour scheme, but I'll see how it comes up.
    I also have a chapter ring and bezel insert in the original black/white & black/silver style for a future option.

The 7002 with aftermarket dial (L); old dials/handsets (R)

Old dials, front - green style lume (L); tan style lume (R)

Old dials, rear

Tan lume dial

Tan lume dial - dial code, with 'Daini' lightning bolt

I am unsure if these dials are 'original Seiko' dials, but perhaps forum members could help out
    with a few comments? I tried to find either original dials, or ones that are a better match for
    an 'original style and detail'.

A few features of these dials are:

- The Daini lightning bolt is crisp and defined on both, rather than a blob on the current AM dial
    - The dial code text at the bottom is also crisp on both
    - The 'SEIKO' text at the top is larger and longer than the 'AUTOMATIC' text below
    - The 'SEIKO' text at the top is larger than the text on the AM dial
    - The 'WATER150mRESIST' text, in size and font, appears more of a match to an original dial
    - The tan lume dial does not have any lume remaining
    - The green lume dial does have some lume, but it is dim

Anyway.... Comments welcome!

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information