Seiko Astron GPS Solar SAST009
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By -JoeK-

Thread: Seiko Astron GPS Solar SAST009

Inactive

As the end of AZ Fine Time‘s week of Astron comes near to a close, today we are featuring one of the most popular models in the collection…. SAST009.

The Seiko AStron GPS SAST009 is the 1st model in our reviews to be in stainless steel, as opposed to High-Intensity Titanium. The stainless steel case is beautifully polished and comes on a very special silicone strap with an incredibly constructed three-fold deployment clasp. I say this silicone is special, as it is a new type of silicone, which Seiko has developed, and is 4 times the strength of a typical silicone strap. From what I understand, this strap is virtually tear resistant. This is definitely a great new product! I have fell victim to torn rubber straps in the past, so having something that I won’t have to constantly replace is outstanding.

The dial is black, as with all the Astron GPS models. The hands and indexes are white and blue, which gives this piece a ton of character. The blue and white are to symbolize the view of Earth from space (maybe from a GPS Satellite) and give the piece a style all it’s own. This blue and white is made from Seiko’s proprietary Lumi Brite and in the dark, they glow brightly in 2 different shades of color. The bezel on this model is also black cermaic (as the other models), but one minor difference in this piece is that it does not have the city abbreviations on the inner bezel, only the + or – from UTC.

Seiko has developed numerous technologies in order to make the Seiko Astron GPS Solar possible. In case you missed the other blog posts… Seiko developed a new GPS receiver that consumes only 1/5th the power of a standard GPS receiver. They also developed a new High-Sensitivity Antenna Ring, which sits under the ceramic bezel and allows for easier reception than using a standard antenna chip. Finally, a new integrated circuit was developed using a secondary back-up battery to ensure the watches solar rechargeable battery never loses its full power reserve.

Another amazing feature of this watch is equipped with a new “smart sensor”. This new “smart sensor” enables the watch to detect bright sunlight, determine the last time the watch received reception, and whether or not the watch has enough energy to receive GPS satellite signal automatically. The watch will not always automatically receive signal, only once a day at most. This helps conserve the watches energy and will still keep the piece incredibly accurate. If the watch has not received signal manually (or automatically) recently, and the watch is exposed to bright sunlight, the watch will basically recognize that it has a good opportunity to receive signal, and if it has enough energy, will attempt to do so. How cool is that?!

Seiko is a manufacture with incredible capabilities. Over the last 10 years they have worked very hard to develop the Astron GPS solar and with over 100 patents in the movement, has proven it is a truly unique innovation. The SAST009 is a personal favorite, but the whole series is incredible. The launch of the Seiko Astron GPS Solar is a truly memorable moment and AZ Fine Time is proud to be a part of it. To help make this amazing technology even more memorable, AZ Fine Time will be hosting a tremendous party in honor of the release of the Astron. The Seiko Astron Release Party will be October 26th from 2-8, here at AZ Fine Time.

Thanks for reading and as always, if you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 1-800-486-3996.

See our video review…

See more pictures below…

Seiko Astron GPS Solar SAST009 « AZ Fine Time Blog
    Soween and G-Frank like this.

Re: Seiko Astron GPS Solar SAST009

Once again, another great review thread! Thank you Joe for taking the time to create the videos highlighting the Astron GPS features.

Just a quick question, will your store offer these silicone straps separately? The model that I am planning to get only comes with the titanium bracelet, and it would be nice to switch it out once in awhile.

Thanks Joe for the photos and video...very nice indeed

Cheers
    Shannon
    My Seiko's: SBDB001 SD600M, SBDX001 Marine Master, SRP777, SRPA21 PADI,

Casio: ProTrek 2500-A1

My Sinn’s: EZM9, EZM14–T1, EZM14-T1B, U1 Professional, 836

Want

Aquadive: Bathyscaphe Poseidon GMT 100

Sinn: U2C, UX S, 857 S, 900 S

Seiko: SNR031J1, SNR035J1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but just got the exact same item. My only problem with it is the lume on the hands doesn't seem nearly as bright as on the hour markers. Very different than the lume shot in this thread. Anybody else have this watch? Comments?

Otherwise, it's seriously cool to nerdy guys like me.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by MODWG View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but just got the exact same item. My only problem with it is the lume on the hands doesn't seem nearly as bright as on the hour markers. Very different than the lume shot in this thread. Anybody else have this watch? Comments?

Otherwise, it's seriously cool to nerdy guys like me.
    I finally pulled the trigger on an Astron, but it wasn't the 009 like I originally was thinking. I ended up getting the 003 Titanium, which also has less lume on the hands as compared to the indexes. The picture I took was after shining bright light on the dial. When you walk in from a sunny day (or shine bright light on it), it will usually glow this strong. After a while, it definitely dulls down and the hands aren't quite as bright as the indexes. I think they apply less lume on the hands to keep the weight down. I don't find it difficult to see at night, but have definitely noticed this as well.

It is a great watch though! Just started to do some traveling with it and it has worked flawlessly every time.

There is a simple explanation: The basic-material (paint) on the hands and on the hour-markers is not the same (also to bee see because of the different colors, blue - at SAST009 - and white on the hands). And of course there is a lot more "paint" on the hour-index as on the hands.

It's also close the same with the SAST001 which I also use. And... I guess because of looking that the paint on the hour-indes is painted from a human... it's very inexact, do you agree?

I bought a cheap LED-Blacklight-Torch (found in a Geocaching-Store for 7$) and to "fast-charge" the lume it's the very best!

Very nice and awesome review....
    Wait until it come to my country

Thread Information