Seiko - Can't Decide On Which to Get!
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Seiko - Can't Decide On Which to Get!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Seiko - Can't Decide On Which to Get!

Hey all! My 30th birthday is next week and I'm looking for a watch to get myself as a present. I've narrowed it down to two Seikos that I really like but I can't decide which to pull the trigger on, so I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts! I have some pros/cons listed along with photos of the two watches. Both use the same movement and both price points are about the same.

First watch: Seiko Presage "Urushi" SARW013 from Gnomon Watch.
    Name:  Urushi.PNG
Views: 70
Size:  37.4 KB
    I really like how unique this watch is color-wise, and the Urushi background is really interesting to me. The problem is that I don't fully trust Gnomon Watches, and my credit card has been declined due to fraud three times when trying to purchase it from them. I'm also concerned about customs, and shipping from out of country. Lastly, its not the most practical watch but that may be what I like most about it.

The second watch is the Seiko Presage SARW035 from the USA.
    Name:  SARW035.PNG
Views: 68
Size:  65.0 KB
    It's basically the same watch as the Urushi but the dial is enamel, which I also really like. This watch, while is a bit more boring to me is more practical and I can see it getting a lot more wrist time vs. the Urushi. I would also be helping out a small local business that I like, and have bought from before, buy purchasing it...and I don't have to worry about customs.

I really like both but can't decide. What does everyone think? If anyone owns, or has owned, either of these watches and can share their experience I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Re: Seiko - Can't Decide On Which to Get!

What other watches do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I had that to spend on a watch it wouldn't be that one. Out of the two it would be the white one, or would it be the black one? Not Sure
    Entropy89 likes this.
    When I read about the evils of drinking I gave up reading

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It’s been auto declined because they are based in Singapore. They are a well known dealer and you have nothing to fear. Just call your card issuer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rfortson and cuffs like this.

First, I highly recommend Gnomon Watches. They are legitimate. Second, there are other options out there. If this is to commemorate your 30th birthday then I would go for some brand not too popular but reputable and not overly expensive. If I were to celebrate my 30th, I would look at Nomos or Stowa. Their watches are modern, simple design but very functional, and fit in with modern trend immediately.

Good luck.

Kevin

N.Caffrey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tim_herremans View Post
    It’s been auto declined because they are based in Singapore. They are a well known dealer and you have nothing to fear. Just call your card issuer.

Thanks for your response! Yes I figured that was the case, but the other thing that worries me is customs. I've read reviews on how there can be issues with customs and duties, etc. I dont know anything about this but it was enough to raise a red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by chronomaestro View Post
    First, I highly recommend Gnomon Watches. They are legitimate. Second, there are other options out there. If this is to commemorate your 30th birthday then I would go for some brand not too popular but reputable and not overly expensive. If I were to celebrate my 30th, I would look at Nomos or Stowa. Their watches are modern, simple design but very functional, and fit in with modern trend immediately.

Good luck.

Kevin

Thanks for your response! I know there are many other options out there, NOMOS is one of my favorite brands but at the moment, they're pretty far outside of what I'm willing to spend. Stowa is interesting, I never really considered them but I'll check them out.

What drew me to Seiko, aside from having owned several Seikos over the years, is the style of these watches. The Urushi and Enamel dials are really interesting to me and different (at least the Urushi is).

If price is a factor then don’t forget to also look at: Frédérique Constant, Christopher Ward, and Junghans.

But, bottom line is it’s your decision. Of the two you showed, I prefer the black dial as it is more interesting.

Lastly, there are some models from Zeppelin and Junkers that utilize Miyota (Citizen) automatic movement. The model I mentioned has power reserve indicator and 24h subdial. They have various dual colors and one of which resembles the black dial Seiko. Give these a look.

N.Caffrey likes this.

Well, this is the Seiko forum, so I'll tell you to get one of your two choices. :) They are both great watches. Buying overseas isn't that big of a deal and I've rarely had customs due, but it does happen on occasion. I think the trigger is $800, though, so not sure if this will trip it or not.

Buying from your local guy is nice, if the deal is okay. Or, if you're looking to establish a better relationship to get a good deal on something else down the road. All the posters that talk about getting a great deal on a watch from their AD have usually already spent tons of money there previously. If this dealer carries other watches or brands you like, then it might be worth a karma deposit.

I'd go for the SARW035 because I love the white dial/blue hands combination. With a dressier watch, I always prefer a white dial over black.
    Entropy89 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information