Seiko ID Help Please

Thread: Seiko ID Help Please

Seiko ID Help Please

Hi all. I'm just getting started in the watch hobby and I wanted a low value watch to practice on, so I bought a Indian Frankenwatch on ebay. It was cheap so I'm not disappointed at all. Needless to say, "In run condition" does not mean the same in India as it does here. Not a single tick. Anyway, I've been searching since Frank arrived and haven't even been able to find a picture or info on what the watch may have started out as. The movement is marked 6309A, and the back is marked 6309 522A. The stem is at 3 0'clock. I think the case is called cushion shape. The dial is a complete fiction (Red 5, Japan Made, etc.), so no help there. Is there any hope of putting this watch back to it's original form? Thanks for any help.

Re: Seiko ID Help Please

I don't know why you'd bother. Seiko parts are scattered everywhere at best - at worst, they're non-existent, period. As for the watch, it's worth $70 at most in good condition. The amount of time and sunk cost into parts and labor to restore that watch (which is probably mechanically destroyed with fake dial and hands) is absolutely not worth it. Keep it if you want to learn how to work on timepieces, but it's simply beyond saving at this point.

P.S. It's known in the watch community that used vintage watches from India are usually money pits cobbled together by people without morals nor mechanical knowledge. I'd avoid anything from India in the future.

JAA

No, there's no hope making the watch anywhere near original. Use it for practice; service the movement the best you can.

See if you can get your money back since it's not working. These are actually expensive for what they are since you can get (probably dirty and scratched) running/complete/all original Seikos for less than $20 from individual sellers
    Last edited by JAA; 1 Week Ago at 07:23.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys(?). I bought a known piece of junk to learn on. The rest is simply my curiosity. I was more interested in learning how to find Seiko info by the numbers than actually restoring this one. Onward, H.

Thread Information