Seiko NH35 Movement Quality?
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Seiko NH35 Movement Quality?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Seiko NH35 Movement Quality?

Hi all,

I am curious about the quality of the Seiko NH35 movement, it's ETA equivalent if possible, and ultimately what watch quality level one could expect to see this movement. Would you expect/want to see it in a $500-$1,000 watch, Seiko or others?

Any input on the NH35 would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matty

Re: Seiko NH35 Movement Quality?

IMO, it doesn't really compare to an ETA, because these movements aren't positioned in the same way.

They're Seiko's non-Seiko branded workhorse movement, with hacking.
    While they can be serviced, they're generally throw-aways because a new movement can normally be sourced for less than the cost of a service.

@ > $500, I'd expect to see a 6R15/NE15 or better.
    richnyc likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mattybumpkin View Post
    Hi all,

I am curious about the quality of the Seiko NH35 movement, it's ETA equivalent if possible, and ultimately what watch quality level one could expect to see this movement. Would you expect/want to see it in a $500-$1,000 watch, Seiko or others?

Any input on the NH35 would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matty
    The NH35/4R35 is being used in a lot of the new entry level Seiko 5 models. It is a reliable and robust movement based on the solid 7s26 calibre.
    It is not in the same league as any of the mid range ETA modules but should compare nicely with the ETA movements found in Swatch products. If the NH35 lives up to it's 7s26 heritage; it will outlast the ETAs with a minimum to no servicing for a couple of decades.

The way Seiko is moving upscale/price; it's not inconceivable that this movement might one day be found in $500 watches but that may be a few years away. Right now, it is still being stuffed into the entry level sub $300 watches.
    GoJura likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

the NH35 is basically the resale version of the 4R35, its a fine movement and is equivalent to a Economie grade 2824-2 (some might even say a standard grade)

While the 6R15 is Closer to the quality of the 2824-2 Elaborate grade you find in most Swiss watches under a grand. the 4R35 is usually regulated under 15 seconds a day and is not to be dismissed so easily.

the price is around 85 euros per unit, it hacks, its handwinds, and while its speced to -35/+40 seconds most watches coming out of Seiko factories are more around -15/+15 meaning it can be finely regulated,

The only problem is that its low price makes it impractical from repair as any decent watchmaker would charge 100+ dollars to take apart, clean and regulate an automatic movement,

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    the NH35 is basically the resale version of the 4R35, its a fine movement and is equivalent to a Economie grade 2824-2 (some might even say a standard grade)
    Even the standard grade 2824 is adjusted in two positions. I believe entry-level (or Chinese-consigned) Seiko movements are unadjusted. That's not a terrible shortcoming, but it does lessen the chances you can have it regulated within reasonable +/-.
    Mojozen and mleok like this.
    "Can we bless or at least not curse whatever struggles to stay alive on this planet of struggles?"

"To live and to die in gratefulness if in no other virtue."

-Galway Kinnell

That's no good reason to throw them away, you could say the same thing for a Rolex after the cost of it a few times, as they must too!

Quote Originally Posted by bluloo View Post
    IMO, it doesn't really compare to an ETA, because these movements aren't positioned in the same way.

They're Seiko's non-Seiko branded workhorse movement, with hacking.
    While they can be serviced, they're generally throw-aways because a new movement can normally be sourced for less than the cost of a service.

@ > $500, I'd expect to see a 6R15/NE15 or better.
    Jcp311 likes this.

But, after one does COA it, it will run much better and be regulated to within 5/sec daily, as well as last longer than would initially. What is it with people and this trash and throwaway mentality? Did it not warm your soul, did it not provide the mechanical cache you desired, don't you want your watchmakers to know these and help you, offer labor at even lower rates to have your business?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post

While the 6R15 is Closer to the quality of the 2824-2 Elaborate grade you find in most Swiss watches under a grand. the 4R35 is usually regulated under 15 seconds a day and is not to be dismissed so easily.

the price is around 85 euros per unit, it hacks, its handwinds, and while its speced to -35/+40 seconds most watches coming out of Seiko factories are more around -15/+15 meaning it can be finely regulated,

The only problem is that its low price makes it impractical from repair as any decent watchmaker would charge 100+ dollars to take apart, clean and regulate an automatic movement,

I've got the Nh35a in an Armida & I've found it to be very accurate with a very good power reserve.

I'm kind of hopeful it will last as well as any other Seiko movement & therefore easily outlive me.

For my money,give me a Seiko unbranded,whatever or Miyota over Swiss all day & every day.

Jewels this,adjusted that,positions twice or thrice,however you may, I want a movement that is accurate & durable without a sack full of marketing hype & price tag to match.

Forget Swiss,their marketing bumph is 40 years out of date & the Japanese are knocking them into a cocked hat on every front.

Quote Originally Posted by serge70 View Post
    I've got the Nh35a in an Armida & I've found it to be very accurate with a very good power reserve.

I'm kind of hopeful it will last as well as any other Seiko movement & therefore easily outlive me.

For my money,give me a Seiko unbranded,whatever or Miyota over Swiss all day & every day.

Jewels this,adjusted that,positions twice or thrice,however you may, I want a movement that is accurate & durable without a sack full of marketing hype & price tag to match.

Forget Swiss,their marketing bumph is 40 years out of date & the Japanese are knocking them into a cocked hat on every front.
    AMEN BROTHER…..AMEN
    HIPdeluxe, Jack1024 and jjlwis1 like this.

Here lies the body of Mary McGee,

Died at the age of a hundred and three,
    For fifteen years, she kept her virginity…...Not a bad record for this vicinity.

Capt. Quint.

how is it possible that invicta offer watch with this mov for 90 USD?
    Is it really so cheap ?

f.e. this model:
    Invicta Mens New 8926C PRO DIVER NH35A AUTOMATIC

or try to find on ebay "invicta nh35"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information