Seiko NJ watch service called me and said a misaligned second hand on a SUN015 was normal??

Thread: Seiko NJ watch service called me and said a misaligned second hand on a SUN015 was normal??

Question Seiko NJ watch service called me and said a misaligned second hand on a SUN015 was normal??

Hi,

Have a SUN015 with a kinetic movement. It is at the USA Seiko repair shop.

I sent it it a few months ago to get a bunch of things done..links, new back, servicing. Explicitly asked for the second hand to be aligned to the small marks for seconds around the dial. New bezel. Total about 200 dollars. Power had been not able to get over 20s.

It comes back, looks nice. Second hand is not aligned. Still not able to hold a "30 seconds" power stored level for over 2 minutes....

I call them. Person is very nice. Says, yep, you asked for the second hand to be aligned and no the power sounds off still....and send me a shipping label via email.

Get a call Friday PM at 5:00 PM EST> sir, the technician says the misaligned second hand is within normal for a mechanical hand. I explain to her that it is a quartz watch, I have a bunch of seiko's from 7s26 to NE15 to sbge001....she doesn't understand me. I explain to her that the second hand needs to line up with the little lines. She goes off and gets a tech....nope, sir, it is normal to not line up with the markings. I ask for a supervisor...none were available (shocker, at 5+pm on a Friday)......one is to call Monday.

Anyone here think this is ok? To me, the second hand should stop on the mark. Seiko goes to great pains to do this on the 9f's....I just want an effort to be made....it is midway now.

Thanks for listening. Am looking for things to say and opinions.

jb

Re: Seiko NJ watch service called me and said a misaligned second hand on a SUN015 was normal??

If a second hand is consistently missing marks the same amount the whole way around the dial, shouldn't they simply pop it off, move it one tooth over and be done? Seems like an easy fix. If, however it's off on some marks but not others, that could be a dial that's not entirely concentric with the hands' mounting stem. That's probably harder to fix if it can be at all. I'm not a watchmaker so don't really know what is possible.

I just looked at my SUN023 and see it's off a bit and does seem to change amount as it goes around the dial. Tough to really line up my eyes with the second hand and marks though (and I only have less than one second to try and do that!) At viewing distance though, it's very difficult to see it actually being out of alignment. Only when looking really close can I tell.

Seems like something that could be fixed though.

Re: Seiko NJ watch service called me and said a misaligned second hand on a SUN015 was normal??

On mine it is pretty darn obvious. The people at Seiko did not deny that it did not hit the marks...they just stated it was "normal for a mechanical second hand"...their exact words.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Seiko has issues. I have a love/hate view of them. I just do not understand why they cannot seem to get QC issues resolved. I honestly think they don't give a sh*t.

In your case, you have a quartz watch, which should be easy for a company like Seiko to get the seconds hand to hit every hash mark. I'd be upset if I was in your position, however, with that said, unless it wasnt hitting any of the markers and actually hitting between each marker every time (which I've seen) is what would make my OCD go stupid.

Either way, your issue is still unacceptable, IMO. Hope you can get it resolved. Good luck.
    FTPOSMMS

Quote Originally Posted by jcb-memphis View Post
    Get a call Friday PM at 5:00 PM EST> sir, the technician says the misaligned second hand is within normal for a mechanical hand. I explain to her that it is a quartz watch, I have a bunch of seiko's from 7s26 to NE15 to sbge001....she doesn't understand me. I explain to her that the second hand needs to line up with the little lines. She goes off and gets a tech....nope, sir, it is normal to not line up with the markings. I ask for a supervisor...none were available (shocker, at 5+pm on a Friday)......one is to call Monday.

Anyone here think this is ok? To me, the second hand should stop on the mark.
    it's not "OK" by our standards, but you better believe to them, it's a perfect DaVinci. their acceptance of bad visual tolerances is legendarily sad. basically they'll say than anything that gets to a consumer's hands meets their horrible QC tolerances. we've been seeing this for at least as long as i've been a member of this board.
    a time tellin' noob
    SEIKO SNDA67 SKX779 SKX007 SNZG15 SKX(PMMM) SRP227 SNXS79
    SSC031 SNKL45 SNX993 SARB033 SRP775 SRP773 SNXS77 SNKE79
    CASIO EFA-124 CITIZEN NY2300 DEEP BLUE "All Purpose" 1K
    KARLSKRONA
    Baltic Shield scurfa ND513RD
    HEIMDALLR
    Sharkey 62MAS HELM Komodo

if I were in your shoes (or anyone’s) for the matter, I’d avoid Seiko NJ like the plague. Maybe go to a third party like IWW to get the job done. Jack at IWW has incredible attention fo detail and should have no issue getting the watch right!

While it isn't an excuse getting quartz seconds hands to hit the markers perfectly can be a PITA depending on how much lash is in the gear train. It tends to be a game of trial and error, nudge it a little this way and check, nudge it back the other way and check sometimes seemingly ad infinitum. You will likely have to find an empathetic indy repair shop or learn to do it yourself which isn't hard for anyone with even a basic level of mechanical aptitude.
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Chopard GO Hamilton Hexa Hublot IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron

Given Seiko's reputation in this regard, this isn't really surprising.

They build watches to a set tolerance, and will allow for some inaccuracy in the hands hitting the check marks to let them hit the cost they need to turn a suitable profit.

Without knowing exactly how far from the mark the hand is hitting, it is hard to say what is really acceptable. Are you being exceptionally picky over a small alignment, or is the second hand so out of whack anyone would spot the problem? I think it is fair to say that most of us posting here are going to be a lot more anal about details like this than the general pubic...

My SUN017 hits all the markers bang on - does that mean it’s not normal in some way?

Thanks. It misses every time....every time.

Thread Information