Seiko Quality Control - what's it all about? - Page 2
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Seiko Quality Control - what's it all about?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Seiko Quality Control - what's it all about?

Quote Originally Posted by ibbz View Post
    Iíve a question - do JDM models purchased from Japan have these issues? If not, or less so - then it seems as if Seiko are exporting seconds. This needs to be looked in to - I bought a £1000 watch from Seiko boutique in Knightsbridge and it had alignment issue - off my a fraction but still off - thatís a lot of money and I wasnít happy - since then Iíve avoided new Seikos altogether - Seiko didnít have this issue or rather problem before - why in the last few years or more ?

Yes, they do. I've had many JDM models, and even some of them have come with slight QC issues. In fact, a lot of JDM sellers (especially the well-trusted ones) will state on their websites that Seikos are known for having QC issues (misaligned whatevers) and that they want you to be aware of this before purchasing from them.
    FTPOSMMS

I think Homer may have got fired for his level of attention to QC...and replaced by a drunken chimp.
    tmathes likes this.

That’s interesting thanks - Seiko reputation is seriously suffering - have citizen ever had This problem ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    All watches will undergo a quality control procedure before leaving the factory. In fact, the Japanese are the most anal when it comes to quality control and they basically took it to the next level with the Kanban system.
    Citation needed. Japanese companies don't have any monopoly on attention to detail.
    emgee79 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JacobC View Post
    Seiko quality control is great over $1,000, under that it's a crap shoot

Instagram @open_escapement
    My SBDX017 would disagree with you. Mis-aligned chapter ring (bezel alignment was ok), 'and' the minute hand alignment was about 6 minutes off which looked ugh at 6:00pm or 6:00am - bought brand new from Seiya. Now Seiko wants to play with the big Swiss boys and up their pricing without doing anything for their QA control? No thanks.

To be fair, I've had great luck quality wise with a Darth and SBBN017, but that's it. All-in I've owned at least 20 + Seikos throughout my collecting and I've owned 2 free of issues so.....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Munchie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hooliganjrs View Post
    My SBDX017 would disagree with you. Mis-aligned chapter ring (bezel alignment was ok), 'and' the minute hand alignment was about 6 minutes off which looked ugh at 6:00pm or 6:00am - bought brand new from Seiya. Now Seiko wants to play with the big Swiss boys and up their pricing without doing anything for their QA control? No thanks.

To be fair, I've had great luck quality wise with a Darth and SBBN017, but that's it. All-in I've owned at least 20 + Seikos throughout my collecting and I've owned 2 free of issues so.....

The image you put up looks perfect? That said I think they have more problems with divers than any other category if I had to guess.

Instagram @open_escapement

Check 12 o clock, 9 o clock indices and 8 o clock plot. I would beg to differ ;)

QC issues are unacceptable and have plagued Seiko for some time now. Like it was said above, Citizen and other brands that compete with Seiko have much less issues overall. The fact that it's a running joke that Seiko can't align a chapter ring properly in inexcusable. Calibrate the robots/machines to do the job right on the line. It just shows a lack of focus or at worst, a disregard for the customer at the price-point of their products. Yes, even the lower end products. This is nearly 2020...

The mystery becomes all the greater (and more infuriating) given that their QUARTZ models do NOT suffer from this boollsheit that is plaguing their automatics. WHY does it happen at all?????

I own a fairly large number of their quartz chronographs, and I can confirm they've always been perfect, even when the marking and indices would require even more precision.

A few examples:

Name:  IMG_5779.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  93.5 KBName:  DSCN6589.JPG
Views: 39
Size:  65.1 KBName:  DSCN6605.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  56.4 KBName:  SSB_MILIT_RED_4589 copy.JPG
Views: 39
Size:  202.3 KBName:  IMG_1311 copy.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  114.2 KB
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Quote Originally Posted by aCreative View Post
    QC issues are unacceptable and have plagued Seiko for some time now. Like it was said above, Citizen and other brands that compete with Seiko have much less issues overall. The fact that it's a running joke that Seiko can't align a chapter ring properly in inexcusable. Calibrate the robots/machines to do the job right on the line. It just shows a lack of focus or at worst, a disregard for the customer at the price-point of their products. Yes, even the lower end products. This is nearly 2020...
    I agree - Seiko seems to be taking us for mugs - even Lorus and Pulsar don’t have these problems - and I agree any Quartz model I’ve seen lacks this - on a side note I’m shifting away from mechanical towards Quartz in any case - I just hope this problem doesn’t plague my Quartz acquisitions

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information