Seiko Quality Control - what's it all about?
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Seiko Quality Control - what's it all about?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Recently decided to stop buying Seikos online as I've found that it's too hit and miss with supposed QC issues. However in the build up to Black Friday I noticed an online only deal that I found quite tempting and decided to go for it. I've just received the watch and the chapter ring and bezel are both misaligned. The chapter ring is out at 12 o clock which is quite annoying, but at the price it is something that I was willing to accept. Same goes for the bezel line up which isn't quite as annoying and something that I could let go. However the deal breaker is the bezel action, it feels like the quality of something sub £100. I'd say it feels like a toy watch. I've had the same experience recently with another Seiko I recieved a couple of weeks ago. The bezels are absolutley terrible and they give you a feeling that you don't want to turn them. The watches are from two different dealers and both have said I can have a refund even though they are adamant that the watches are within standard. They have both said that Seiko only regard a bezel as defective if it cannot be turned freely and that misalignements are regarded as normal.

After a bit of consideration I decided to contact a Seiko boutique to try and get a bit of clarity on certain issues. What I found out was quite interesting. They said that misalignments shouldn't really happen and they should line up more or less perfect to the eye. They also said the bezel action should have a very similar feel across the estate within the same model and if there are any differences they should be extremely subtle. They went onto say that watches that are sold with the issues mentioned are 'seconds' and they regard them as defective, although they accept that this may not be recognised with regards to warranty.

It does make you wonder what is actually going on in production. Is it a quality control issue or is this Seiko just churning out defective watches as part of their business model.
    Last edited by Nik_86; 1 Week Ago at 04:32. Reason: Spelling

Re: Seiko Quality Control - what's it all about?

So what they are basically saying is that you received a B-quality watch?

I find that answer quite disturbing but it matches my experience at the local AD (who is also selling Grand Seiko) while buying my Sumo. Out of 5 pieces only 2 were properly aligned. And that is an $850 MSRP watch. So apparently this official AD receives B-quality watches then? It makes no sense to me.
    ó
    Watches in profile....

Seiko quality control is great over $1,000, under that it's a crap shoot

Instagram @open_escapement
    Londonboy and beanerds like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Donít think your AD is 100% correct on that.

All watches will undergo a quality control procedure before leaving the factory. In fact, the Japanese are the most anal when it comes to quality control and they basically took it to the next level with the Kanban system.

I believe that the quality parameters are probably less stringent on the cheaper watches and the production line is also geared up to output a higher number. All so that it fits the price bracket for the consumer.

Higher intervention equals low output and drives up cost. I donít know which is worse but I could live with the misalignment. Itís a quirk in buying a Seiko.
    Simon, 5959HH, ahonobaka and 1 others like this.

It's Seiko Roulette.
    Orient don't have the same issues & they are part of the same corporation.Something is amiss with the robots out there in Asia..

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    Donít think your AD is 100% correct on that.

All watches will undergo a quality control procedure before leaving the factory. In fact, the Japanese are the most anal when it comes to quality control and they basically took it to the next level with the Kanban system.

I believe that the quality parameters are probably less stringent on the cheaper watches and the production line is also geared up to output a higher number. All so that it fits the price bracket for the consumer.
    From and industrial standpoint, "quality" doesn't equal the common "good quality" concept but just "everything within our set goals" so, yes, probably Seikos, even the cheapest ones, go through stringent quality validations to ensure they go out the factory exactly within the standards Seiko deem proper.

But then, Orient, which is no less Japanese than Seiko seem to attain better "quality" as in "good quality" than Seiko at similar price brackets. Why is it so?

I really can’t understand why Seiko have so many QC problems. With all the robots they use misalignment should be a non-issue.

Quality Control? What's that?

Name:  20190925A.SRPD85.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  644.4 KB

I’ve a question - do JDM models purchased from Japan have these issues? If not, or less so - then it seems as if Seiko are exporting seconds. This needs to be looked in to - I bought a £1000 watch from Seiko boutique in Knightsbridge and it had alignment issue - off my a fraction but still off - that’s a lot of money and I wasn’t happy - since then I’ve avoided new Seikos altogether - Seiko didn’t have this issue or rather problem before - why in the last few years or more ?

It's obvious as to who's running the QC over there...

Name:  aerzLzm_460s.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  44.5 KB

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information