Seiko SKX durability vs. Omega Aqua Terra
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Seiko SKX durability vs. Omega Aqua Terra

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Seiko SKX durability vs. Omega Aqua Terra

I've owned numerous Seikos and other than some slightly inaccurate movements (before regulation), I've never had a problem with a Seiko watch. However, there are no small stylish 150m+ Seikos currently so I'm considering buying a used Aqua Terra and am wondering of owners with long-term experience of both, specifically the Aqua Terra of how you find it compares to something like an SKX or Sumo in reliability, scratch resistance and accuracy over long time periods given an Aqua Terra costs 5-10 times as much as an average Seiko.

Re: Seiko SKX durability vs. Omega Aqua Terra

Like comparing a BMW to a Suzuki. If you think they are comparable though I'd stick with Seiko as the Omega will be a waste of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    rfortson likes this.
    Mavan Enthusiast
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

The time is secondary.

No small stylish Seiko diver 150m? Well, if you think more to vintage, then the Seiko quartz midsized 6458 diver fits the bill. I have the SKX007/09, as well as a Seiko 6458 150m diver. The SKXs are not considered small IMO at 41mm or so. The Aqua Terra is 41mm.
    I do have a 1990s Omega prebond 200m men's diver at 40mm. The Omega prebond can be hand for under $1000. My 2 toned version was $500 some years ago. Most prebonds are quartz but there is an automatic version. Have you thought of the midsized Omega SMP 300 used?

HERE is a vintage Seiko SUS 1999, 200m and perpetual quartz

Prebond quartz 200m
    Last edited by HaymondWong; 4 Days Ago at 07:18.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

If your SKX passes the pressure test, it will be as reliable as the AT.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

To rephrase the question: since I’ve had no issues with Seikos I’m worried the AT will be less reliable even though it is more expensive. I intend to wear it every day.

I suspect you would get more informed answers in the Omega forum. Though, I would probably leave out the part about the SKX when asking if an Omega is reliable or not.

Reliability is pretty much luck, you could get the Aqua Terra and have it stop working a week later, and it is going to cost you about twice the price of an SKX to have it fixed.
    rfortson likes this.

Wise not to post this on the Omega forum. They are very sensitive over there and to compare a Seiko to an Omega would be blasphemy.

Quote Originally Posted by tentimestwenty View Post
    I've owned numerous Seikos and other than some slightly inaccurate movements (before regulation), I've never had a problem with a Seiko watch. However, there are no small stylish 150m+ Seikos currently so I'm considering buying a used Aqua Terra and am wondering of owners with long-term experience of both, specifically the Aqua Terra of how you find it compares to something like an SKX or Sumo in reliability, scratch resistance and accuracy over long time periods given an Aqua Terra costs 5-10 times as much as an average Seiko.
    I can say I own an Omega (a Speedmaster mk40) and a Sumo. The Omega for some 12 years, the Sumo for about three. No problems with any of them. Except the Sumo hardlex got a scratch and Omega's sapphire is immaculate.

Both cases are SS 316L so I suppose they'll get old more or less the same (which already means "very well" for the Omega, which I wear about 90% of the time). The Omega, despite being a chronograph, had no issues and it's nowadays about -4s/day (with zero maintenance in all this time). Last time my Sumo saw a month in a row on my wrist, averaged -1s/day, so I think I've been very lucky.

So: unless you are going to give a really hard live to your watches (and in this case no mechanical will last too long) I don't see Omegas (these kind of Omegas at least) being any less sturdy than Seikos, which, conversely, means Seikos are not any less sturdy than Omegas either. Of course, your Omegas will cost more if you ever need parts or you plan servicing it at the official service. In the end, up to you.
    rfortson likes this.

I own and wear an Omega 2254.50 and an SKX. Both will take a beating. The Seiko doesn't scare me to wear anywhere as the replacement cost is $200. Both are accurate. Both waterproof as advertised. No wrong choice.
    fish70 and nkwatchy like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information