Seiko SUN015P1 Kinetic Sportura GMT
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Seiko SUN015P1 Kinetic Sportura GMT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seiko SUN015P1 Kinetic Sportura GMT

First real post other than pictures in the WRUW threads. Hi everyone, my name is Brett and I like watches.

I have been looking for a good travel watch for a long time. I spend 3-4 months a year traveling 1-4 weeks per trip. I am often going through airport security up to five times and often in five different time zones in a 24 hour period.
    I wanted a GMT watch and I wanted it to be easy to remove and put back on when running from one end of Narita airport to the other and going through security with only 15 minutes between flights. (did it in ten minutes last week) Other than this, I had no idea what I was looking for until I came across the SUN015. In all honesty, of the watches that I liked the look of it was not even close to being considered but when I saw a Youtube video showing the quickset hour feature, I was sold. There are not many that I came across at this price point that have this feature.
    So I now have a brand new one in the mail which should deliver tomorrow. I chose the bracelet because I did not like the optional leather strap that comes on them. I do not really like the bracelet either but if I had to choose one it was the bracelet and I actually found it at a better price.

Name:  sun015p1.jpeg
Views: 1032
Size:  40.7 KB

Now all I need to make this perfect before my upcoming trip is to find the perfect leather strap for it. It is 21mm but a 22mm should work fine. I have not owned or tried one yet but from pictures I really like the thick/chunky "vintage" style leather straps. I am thinking black with red or white minimal stitching or a dark brown but I can be persuaded into something different if I could see images. I would also like a leather that I do not have to worry about it getting wet. I am also thinking a deployment clasp would be great but I am not sure how one would work or look on this size of strap.
    I have searched high and low in WUS and google for images of this watch on other straps but so far have had no luck. Please help me out. Some images of what I think I want are below. Thanks in advance!

Name:  black strap.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  78.5 KBName:  brown minimal stitch.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  46.7 KB

PS I am hoping to see a lot of images of this watch in this thread which is why I posted it her instead of in the strap and bracelet sub-forum but I may cross post it there as well to get more responses if it does not violate any rules.

Re: Seiko SUN015P1 Kinetic Sportura GMT

I had the blue dial version, it's a great watch. The bracelet is actually not bad, and I never took mine off of it. A friend of mine had the 015 and wore it on a nato almost exclusively.

Found this pic on the net:

Last edited by cold_beer839; September 17th, 2015 at 02:30.
    bretthn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bretthn View Post
    First real post other than pictures in the WRUW threads.
    Granted I didn't start a thread but my post two days ago seemed pretty real.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/if-y...l#post20196938

Enjoy your SUN015P1 when you receive it. I wear mine a lot.
    Last edited by Up-n-coming; September 17th, 2015 at 03:41.
    bretthn likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Up-n-coming View Post
    Granted I didn't start a thread but my post two days ago seemed pretty real.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/if-y...l#post20196938

Enjoy your SUN015P1 when you receive it. I wear mine a lot.
    Forgive me Up-n-coming, I meant my first real post other than posting pictures in WRUW threads. Thanks for the link.
    Up-n-coming likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cold_beer839 View Post
    I had the blue dial version, it's a great watch. The bracelet is actually not bad, and I never took mine off of it. A friend of mine had the 015 and wore it on a nato almost exclusively.

Found this pic on the net:

Thanks, that does look good. I am thinking the same style strap in black would look good. Who makes a good strap like this without breaking the bank incase I don't like it?

Just so happens I'm wearing mine tonight. Too dark outside to take a pic so here's a down and dirty kitchen pic. I decided to leave mine on the bracelet due to it being so comfortable and nicely finished. The ceramic bezel was also an unexpected bonus I didn't know about when I bought it.

Last edited by Up-n-coming; September 17th, 2015 at 04:04.
    bretthn likes this.

...The ceramic bezel was also an unexpected bonus I didn't know about when I bought it.
    Really a ceramic bezel ???!!!???
    Sent from my NOKIA 1011 using Takatuka ...

Greetings from Germany - harald-hans

Looks good OP but my 017 lives on a bracelet so I can't help.

Just so happens I'm wearing mine tonight. Too dark outside to take a pic so here's a down and dirty kitchen pic. I decided to leave mine on the bracelet due to it being so comfortable and nicely finished. The ceramic bezel was also an unexpected bonus I didn't know about when I bought it.

The bracelet is growing on me and everyone seems to have good things to say about it however, my reasoning for wanting something a little less flashy is because my travel takes me to some very poor areas and I would be uncomfortable wearing it. Not for my safety or fear that someone would try to take it but for my own comfort. I don't know how to describe it... It might feel the same as riding in a limo to a dinner date at McDonalds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Up-n-coming likes this.

Its here. It came well packaged and looked better in person than it did in all the images on the internet.
    Name:  IMG_5138.JPG
Views: 930
Size:  1.63 MB
    It is heavy which I like. The detail and depth of the dial is great but not captured well in my iphone pictures.
    Name:  IMG_5160.JPG
Views: 923
Size:  1.70 MB
    I'm not a big fan of bracelets but this one looks and feels good. I had to remove 3 links to fit my wrist. The downturned lugs allow it to fit my wrist very well.
    You can see the movement through the caseback.
    Name:  IMG_5145.JPG
Views: 910
Size:  1.21 MB
    Name:  IMG_5149.JPG
Views: 886
Size:  969.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_5147.JPG
Views: 903
Size:  1.23 MB
    Name:  IMG_5150.JPG
Views: 897
Size:  1.14 MB
    The lume is great and it is easy to distinguish between the two hour hands. There is no lume for the second hand but that is not an issue.
    Name:  IMG_5159.JPG
Views: 855
Size:  659.3 KB
    The ceramic bezel looks amazing compared to the standard bezel inserts I am used to and the dial has a lot of depth that I am not able to capture in pictures. The chapter ring sits slightly above the dial. The dial has a texture to it that is best viewed while focusing on the Seiko logo which seems to float above the dial which melts into a black hole at different angles.
    Name:  IMG_5155.JPG
Views: 861
Size:  1.35 MB

Now for the bad. The auto winding mechanism is noisy, I have not worn many automatic's but it is definitely louder than my 007. Not a problem for me and I am sure I would never hear it during normal wear but it is very noticeable when shaking your arm with the watch within two feet of your ear.
    The other downside is the great looking bracelet is squeaky. It looks great, feels great but squeaks even with minimal movement while walking. This is not a problem for me because I bought this to put on a leather strap. I am also sure the squeaking can be resolved. (please give me some pointers if there is an easy way to fix this until I get the new leather strap.)

Overall I am very pleased with the watch. Even with the minor faults above it still far exceeds my expectations for the price. I read from a lot of people that it is too big. To me it looks and wears a bit smaller than I was expecting and I think the size is perfect.

Still looking for a good leather strap option so please make recommendations.
    Pete_JBK and harald-hans like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information